SASS Wire Forum

Anybody shooting the new short stroke pistols from Taylors?

Thunder Creek Kid

I have a pair of Short Stroke Smoke Wagons from Taylor...LongHunter did the action work on them...and I love them!! I switched from my slicked up Evil Roy's to the Smoke Wagons..

Is there any difference between a Taylor's smoke wagon and a Cimarron Eliminator other than the name?

Depends on who made them. Pietta and Uberti both offer short strokes. What you need to look at is not the catalog name but the maker.

Is there any difference between a Taylor's smoke wagon and a Cimarron Eliminator other than the name?

From what I understand, Taylor's has three guns that are short stroked:

1)Smoke Wagons with "high" standard hammer and "standard" grip(navy)

2)Runnin Iron with lowered hammer and "standard" grip

3)Gunfighter with "high" standard hammer, but with the larger army style grip

You can get the Taylors in 4 3/4" and 5 1/2" barrel lengths

Cimarron Eliminator has the lowered hammer and the larger army style grip, but from what I can tell, you can only get the 4 3/4" barrel length, not a 5 1/2 length

Depends on who made them. Pietta and Uberti both offer short strokes. What you need to look at is not the catalog name but the maker.

Smoke Wagons are made by Uberti, Eliminator series are made by Pietta

I've got a pair of gunfighters, Taylor tuned and short stroked. They are very nice.

Once your muscle memory is created, there is little difference.

The problem would be trying to go back and forth from a short stroked gun and a non-short stroked gun. So if you typicially have a back up pistol, it should be the same, otherwise you muscle memory will cause some issues.

Correct, however Eliminator C do not have Army grip, Eliminator 8 does. C's are tad shorter in grip and bareels are rounder versus octagon barrels on 8s. All can be had tuned, short stroked, and low profile hammer. I think complete package from Taylor or Cimarron are real bargains. Sassy preferred shorter grip of C versus 8's Army style. If into cosmetics, IMO grip panels of C/8s are more attractive then Smokes. All fine choices.

...Cimarron Eliminator has the lowered hammer and the larger army style grip, but from what I can tell, you can only get the 4 3/4" barrel length, not a 5 1/2 length

Cimarron calls anything with a short-stroke an "Eliminator". They have one gun with the army grip. That is the Eliminator 8 with low hammer, octagonal barrel. 4 3/4" only. With standard (checkered) grips, the Eliminator C models have standard or low hammers, 4 3/4" only. The Eliminator TS (Thunderstorm) have a different style of low hammer, regular or Thunderer grips, stainless or blued, 3 1/2" or 4 3/4" barrel and as 45LC only as the Thunderstorm is more designed for mounted shooting.

Note that Cimarron's website descriptions are not correct regarding grips. The website states that all Eliminator grips are "Checkered Army-style" but that is ONLY true for the Eliminator 8.

Correct

During my second match I began to have some major issues with my Ruger SASS NMV's and cylinder over-rotation.

While figuring out how to fix the Rugers locally or send them in, I noticed that Davidson's was having a sale on the Cimarron Eliminator C's. I figured I would pick up a pair to see how I liked revolvers with action jobs and short stroked. I chose the SKU PP400LCC which were the ones with the low wide hammers.

I am by no means an experienced or accomplished single action shooter, but I like the new Cimarrons. Their larger grip works for my XL hands, and their triggers are so smooth and light that they are almost too light. I've never shot another revolver with an action job, but I have absolutely nothing to complain about regarding Cimarron's factory "Cowboy Comp USA Action Job." The low hammers are much like the Ruger SASS guns, so they feel natural to me. I don't know enough yet, so during matches I can't really tell the difference between my new short-stroked revolvers and the original SASS New Vaqueros. I guess that I'm still thinking about too many other things during a stage.

Below is a pic of one of my Cimarron Eliminator C revolvers next to one of my wife's SASS New Vaqueros.

My malfunctioning set of SASS New Vaqueros ended up getting sent into Ruger last week and are still there. We did get a determination from them regarding the cylinder over-rotation, though. Their words: "We have inspected the guns and found the Cylinder latch grooves are a bit shallow. We will be replacing the cylinders and feel that this will likely resolve the problem." All on Ruger's dime.

i-85rkCSZ-XL.jpg

TMH,

Is leather fit the same? I would suspect so, but not having any RNVs, can not judge.

bb

Yes it feels the same (at least to me).

Thanks.

Sassy is now ready for leather.

Archived