SASS Wire Forum

Miroku/Winchester Vs. Uberti

Dukes Up Dan

Quick question: I'm looking to buy a new '73 and I'm wondering what the difference between the Winchester/Miroku and the Uberti actually is. What is the preferred version? What makes one better than the other? And is there even a big defference other than the $100 price difference to have the name " WInchester" on it?

Obvious difference. One made in Japan by Miroku. One made in Italy by Uberti. Lots of aftermarket parts for Uberti. A few but not as many for the Miroku, yet. Miroku has built in safety mechanism in firing pin extension. If you search this forum, you'll find several posts about the differences.

Quick question: I'm looking to buy a new '73 and I'm wondering what the difference between the Winchester/Miroku and the Uberti actually is. What is the preferred version? What makes one better than the other? And is there even a big defference other than the $100 price difference to have the name " WInchester" on it?

Speaking of purely stock guns only, that $100 extra (though I would like to see where you are getting the price difference) gets you a bit more than just the name. You get better quality steel, an action that is smoother out of the box than the Uberti, and just an opinion of mine here, but better looking wood and better case coloring. As Bogus said, there are far more parts and smiths available for the Uberti, though I do believe the Winchester will catch up in that department as well shortly as they start to become more ubiquitous in this game.

Redwood, I read your post several times and I think I know what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure...

Are you saying that Winchester has better steel and is smoother out of the box and that Uberti has nicer wood and CCH?

If so, I would agree with the second half of that. The new Winchester box stock I was able to handle and shoot left me flat in the looks department, but shot ok though the lever safety was a bit strong (you really have to make sure you have the lever all the way closed) and the front bead was too small for me. I think it would ok for an average shooter to start with though I think they'd want to get it slicked up eventually.

I have not handled a box stock Uberti but have heard from those who have that the more recent rifles are smoother than the older ones were. Though some smithing would probably still be done by most shooters eventually.

As to the OP - besides maker, you need to consider caliber, barrel length, straight stock or pistol grip, and availability.

Opinions always vary.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Grizz

Both have modern hi strength steel. A wash.

Both have pretty wood but that is for purchaser to decide. And both will acquire plenty of cart bumps and dings,, along wit ULT, LT, stage prop, you pistol hitting butt of rifle dings and scratches. So take that into account in the beauty department.

Sooner or later, you will need a gun smith and parts. At this time, Uberti has that advantage.

Choose wisely& good luck

I have both and I think the Mirouku is much better quality and I'm Italian!!! :lol:

Redwood, I read your post several times and I think I know what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure...

Are you saying that Winchester has better steel and is smoother out of the box and that Uberti has nicer wood and CCH?

If so, I would agree with the second half of that. The new Winchester box stock I was able to handle and shoot left me flat in the looks department, but shot ok though the lever safety was a bit strong (you really have to make sure you have the lever all the way closed) and the front bead was too small for me. I think it would ok for an average shooter to start with though I think they'd want to get it slicked up eventually.

I have not handled a box stock Uberti but have heard from those who have that the more recent rifles are smoother than the older ones were. Though some smithing would probably still be done by most shooters eventually.

As to the OP - besides maker, you need to consider caliber, barrel length, straight stock or pistol grip, and availability.

Opinions always vary.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Grizz

No, I am not saying that at all. To me (opinion only) the Winchester is hands down better looking in both aspects. The case coloring on the Uberti's all seem to look the same while the Winchesters have a much more unique look and deeper if that makes sense. But the wood is where the real differences come in. Other than the standard blue Winchester, the wood is 1000 times better than that horrible red finish Uberti uses. The Winchesters have grade 2 or 3 finishes with actual grain and just looks really nice.

No, I am not saying that at all. To me (opinion only) the Winchester is hands down better looking in both aspects. The case coloring on the Uberti's all seem to look the same while the Winchesters have a much more unique look and deeper if that makes sense. But the wood is where the real differences come in. Other than the standard blue Winchester, the wood is 1000 times better than that horrible red finish Uberti uses. The Winchesters have grade 2 or 3 finishes with actual grain and just looks really nice.

That's why I asked, I wasn't sure I understood right. Based on the Win I saw and handled I disagree, but mileage always varies.

That's why I asked, I wasn't sure I understood right. Based on the Win I saw and handled I disagree, but mileage always varies.

Did you handle the blue one or the case colored one?

Did you handle the blue one or the case colored one?

You may have a point there, I think it may have been the blued one. CCH aside then, the wood still didn't impress me. Overall while a nice rifle it struck me as plain and utilitarian. But opinions vary, heck, some folks even like Fords.... :D

Grizz and running for cover :D

You may have a point there, I think it may have been the blued one. CCH aside then, the wood still didn't impress me. Overall while a nice rifle it struck me as plain and utilitarian. But opinions vary, heck, some folks even like Fords.... :D

Grizz and running for cover :D

Yes I agree with you, on most things anyway. The plain one is very utilitarian, though I still like that look better than the Uberti red finish, but the CCH ones have higher grade wood and finish. At least that's what Winchester claims and has held true in the few I have seen so far.

I also have both. Actually the mwin have now is a turnbull navy arms. no comparison. As far as shooting they are a bit different. The mwin takes a little more initial force to cock right at the beginning because of different design than the uberti, and my turnbull is a codymatic so it is pretty smooth. The uberti is a pistol grip and shoulders a hair better for me and feels right when shouldered. The mwin is a straight stock shotgun butt style and shoulders well but not quite the same. That being said they are both great rifles but have to give workmanship and looks to mwin. Fun to shoot both!

I've got both. Welded up the firing pin plunger safety on the Winchester, installed a short stroke, bigger front bead, and made adjustments to the lever safety. It runs as fast as I can shoot, I broke the stock off at the receiver holes a couple weeks ago, glue and doweled it back together, still need to sand and refinish the stock. Oil finish so that's easy. Handled a new Uberti today, it was very stiff and had a really long lever throw. My Winchester was smoother and the throw was shorter out of the box. If I had to make a choice after working on both, I'd have to say the Winchester has better internal components, I don't care how it looks on the outside. Although, I've spent much time filing and adjusting the internals in the Winchester. I've proven I can break either model.

Well, good luck finding a Winchester 73 as I haven't been able to. They seem to always be out of stock, the straight stock-cch ones anyways.

Talk to John Barleycorn. He's usually got several different options and is a really good pard to deal with.

I've got the plain one and I think it's a good looking rifle. The wood looks more natural not like the shiny varnished reddish color of the Uberti's.

I have had four Uberti 73s. All were good guns that had different levels of tuning. There are many posts about different periods and problems with the Ubertis, but considering the pounding they take in CAS, they are good rifles.

I like the looks and feel of the W/M. If I were looking for a new rifle, I would likely buy one.

Don't let the $100 sway your decision. I shoot one match per month plus 3 state or regionals. $100 is small compared to cost the cost shoot, even more so for those shooting every weekend. $100 is the cost of 1000 cast bullets and one pound of powder.

I have both, an out of the box Winchester and a fully smithed, short stroked Uberti. In my opinion the Winchester is better quality and has been trouble free. The Uberti seems to always have a little issue that needs to be attended. Your mileage may vary!!

Blackfoot

Uberti.

At least for now.

More after market parts. More folks know how to work on the.

As far as smooth out of the box. Mine are going to have work done before I shoot it anyway.

So that don't matter to me. How is it after the work is done is what I want.

Better looking wood? After it gets bumped around in the gun cart. Slapped down on stages

when on the clock. The wood is going to have dings and dents in it anyway.

However. If I got a deal on the Winchester. I would go for it.

My main match Uberti border deluxe 1873 is running flawlessly, and has for the last several years. The exact Uberti 1873 backup rifle is in the safe waiting service. The straight stock Uberti 1873 with a generation older short stroke kit is sitting beside the backup rifle. The way i see it, two Uberti 1873's in the safe are company and a third would be a crowd (two's company, three's a crowd). If all that goes to crap, then I would have to suffer and really fall back on the two Marlin 1894 JM's rifles. All in same caliber.

I don't have both, but during my decision process, everyone told me to try getting my hands on a Winchester if I could. You hear a lot of people who say they get their guns worked on before shooting, I don't. I usually save up the money for what I want, and then shoot it to see what I need to get work done on it, if anything. I'm not knocking Uberti's here, because lets face it, they are one of the primary reasons we are able to do this game pretty affordably. But from the talk of the work needed to be done to their 73's before it is "competition ready" compared to the Winchester says it all in my opinion. I am quite competitive with the box stock one I have, much more competitive than I had been in the past. And as for the looks department....well...I'll let you folks decide on the pictures below for yourself, but I am one happy guy.

RightSideofReceiver_zps703c1375.jpg

LeftsideofReceiver_zps9a4e77a1.jpg

Levered_zps4a2ac2af.jpg

These are pictures from when the gun was brand new and still had the sticker on the mag tube. I have to update them one of these days, maybe throw the revolvers in like a "companion" album.

I have three Uberti 73s and the New Winchester 1873. At the time that I bought my Winchester, it was actually about $100 LESS than a comparable Uberti 73. The Winchester 1873 is smoother out of the box, comes set up with a short stroked action (about like a Jim Bowie 2nd generation short stroke) which means you don't have to put more money into "speed parts" unless you find you can out run this rifle! (Short (er) stroke kits and speed parts are available from Pioneer Gunworks) You will want to lighten up the trigger block safety spring. I also replaced my firing pin extension with a solid piece immediately - that's just me. Overall, the "build quality" of the New Winchester 1873 is better than the Uberti. Mine is the all blue version, with round barrel, which is what Winchester called the "standard rifle," back in the day. The CCH versions with the octagon barrel may be running a bit more money, but the colors look great!

I now own an Uberti 66 and a 73. They are bone stock. I have owned and sold or traded off other UBERTIS in my 18 years of playing cowboy. All of them were still bone stock when I got rid of them. I bought a blued Winchester round barrel when they first came out. It is still stock and is my main match rifle when shooting smokeless. But I am playing cowboy not competing since I turned 70 last year. So I like my guns as issued, less problems if ya don't mess with em.

Stock, the Winchester is faster and more reliable than the stock Ubertis. I also prefer the fit and finish of the Winchester over the Italians. But that is personal taste.

Archived