SASS Wire Forum

Clarification- shooting gunfighter style

Sergeant Duroc

Howdy Redwood, for the sake of this topic Buck D. is not double tapping and no futher stage insrtcutions were needed.

1-5-2-4-3 = 1st 5rounds 3-2-4-1-5 = 2nd 5 rounds. I prefer not to have my targets spread that far apart, so I would still shoot it 2-1-2-1-3 / 4-5-4-5-3 starting with right pistol. ;)

Wouldn't that be a "P" given the OP stage instructions?

There are five pistol targets and the directions read "With each pistol engage each of the targets once"

The first (and 2nd) five shots failed to hit EACH of the targets once...no different than double-tapping the target array from one end to the other.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the stage instructions said was one on each of 5 targets with each gun (each series of 5 shots). This would allow for a double tap on the 5th and 6th target. It can be fun to start from each end and alternate each gun to the middle and back, or all the way across. Your way would work, but then (if you didn't switch leads) you'd be crossing guns every shot on the second string. If I shot it in a left to right sweep for the first 5, then I'd double tap #5 and shoot it from right to left on the second 5.

Part of what makes it fun to be a Gunfighter! :D

CR

Yessir! I like this one as well, with two lead changes. 1L-2R-3L-4R-5R-4L-3R-2L-1L-5R. Or one lead change can go 1L-2R-3L-4R-5R-4L-5R-3L-2R-1L

Wouldn't that be a "P" given the OP stage instructions?

There are five pistol targets and the directions read "With each pistol engage each of the targets once"

You are correct, sometimes it pays to read the instructions carefully :wacko: I was thinking "with pistols shoot each target twice no double taps", which is a stage I've been know to use. Per OP I would shoot it like Buck D Law 1-5-2-4-3-3-2-4-1-5. Thanks :)

Put me on the unloading table or picking up brass on this stage please. No way would I want to be a spotter for you guys! :o

Put me on the unloading table or picking up brass on this stage please. No way would I want to be a spotter for you guys! :o

Howdy J-BAR.

I love to split my pistols up and the above mentioned scenerio is one of my favorites. BUT, I never engage those targets in that manner without first letting the spotters know what I am about to do. Its particularly fun when the targets are closer and not spread.

You would enjoy the entertainment..... ;)

..........Widder

No crossing, minimal movement, left leading: 1,2,1,2,3,4,3,5,4,5.

Check your spotters! I'm lucky that I shoot with a few Gunfighters.

This was mentioned - gets you a P.

CR

Have to be real sure of the stage instructions...

There is a big difference between

shoot each of the 5 targets twice, no double taps

and

with each pistol shoot each of the 5 targets once, which as we all knew or have learned means with the first 5 shots and the second five shots.

rt lead,,, 3 2 4 1 5 3 5 2 4 1, or play it safe and sweep

See post #71.

See post #71.

I see said the blind man, lost sight if the first five second five idea. Over thinking it.

Left Lead: 3-4-2-5-1-3-2-4-1-5

Left pistol never moves further than plates 1,2 and 3... and the right pistol never moves further than 3, 4 and 5.

:D

..........Widder

"With each pistol engage each of the targets once"

There were no other instructions or clarifications.

Your contention that is "says" 1 on each target for first five rounds is incorrect.

I was merely pointing out that the two handed shooter has the option of engaging the targets in any order with any pistol as long as he engages each target once with each pistol.

One of his options to accomplish this is to shoot target 1 once with pistol A, holster, then shoot target 1 once with pistol B. He can then shoot the second target with pistol B, holster, then shoot target 2 with pistol A...... Continuing till done. Not the fastest way, but certainly an option he has available to him.

If the stage writer had first five shots or first pistol (this term bothers me) in mind, he/she should have written as such.

Interesting thought......If you are correct and a non-GF could double the sequence then the GF should be able to do the same......Funny enough though PWB has already stated that doing so would earn the GF a P?

A Gunfighter may utilize any sequence that might be available for user by any other shooting category. Stage instructions that specify separate revolvers such as "first pistol/second pistol"; "left revolver/right revolver"; or "with each handgun" are considered as "1st five shots/2nd five shots" when shooting GUNFIGHTER-STYLE.

Wonder how that works?

Stan

I don't think it was ever imagined that anyone might have to explain that for a two handed shooter the "first pistol" means the first five shots and "second pistol" means the remaining five shots . . . so it was never done. Life would be so much more simple if stage writers would not use such language. The fact that it had to be clarified when applied to gunfighters only came about because some people have tried to make the argument that "first pistol" literally meant one of the two pistols and "second pistol" meant the other pistol . . and insisted that a gunfighter could or should shoot the stage using that definition. If that were true (it's not), a gunfighter would wear out many such instructions because it would be a license to double tap.

Anyone who might argue a two handed shooter could/should treat one pistol as "first pistol" and the other as "second pistol" on the stage in the OP should consider this: If they only shot four rounds, got confused, holstered, pulled and cocked their next pistol, shot the correct target in sequence, then the next four targets in the correct sequence before returning to the "first pistol" to shoot the last target in sequence, there would be a procedural . . . but there's not a procedural with our rules because the targets were shot in the correct order as part of the shooting string. RO1, page 16, part of item 6: A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged.

An easy way to put an end to the nonsense would be to move the following sentence to the Stage Conventions and eliminate the last four words that apparently indicate to some that it only applies to gunfighters: Stage instructions that specify separate revolvers such as "first pistol/second pistol"; "left revolver/right revolver"; or "with each handgun" are considered as "1st five shots/2nd five shots." when shooting GUNFIGHTER-STYLE The last few words could also be changed to "for all shooting styles."

Geeesh! :)

I don't think it was ever imagined that anyone might have to explain that for a two handed shooter the "first pistol" means the first five shots and "second pistol" means the remaining five shots . . . so it was never done. Life would be so much more simple if stage writers would not use such language. The fact that it had to be clarified when applied to gunfighters only came about because some people have tried to make the argument that "first pistol" literally meant one of the two pistols and "second pistol" meant the other pistol . . and insisted that a gunfighter could or should shoot the stage using that definition. If that were true (it's not), a gunfighter would wear out any many such instructions because it would be a license to double tap.

Anyone who might argue a two handed shooter could/should treat one pistol as "first pistol" and the other as "second pistol" on the stage in the OP should consider this: If they only shot four rounds, got confused, holstered, pulled and cocked their next pistol, shot the correct target in sequence, then the next four targets in the correct sequence before returning to the "first pistol" to shoot the last target in sequence, there would be a procedural . . . but there's not a procedural with our rules because the targets were shot in the correct order as part of the shooting string. RO1, page 16, part of item 6: A shooting string is defined as shots from one type of firearm prior to the next type of firearm engaged.

An easy way to put an end to the nonsense would be to move the following sentence to the Stage Conventions and eliminate the last four words that apparently indicate to some that it only applies to gunfighters: Stage instructions that specify separate revolvers such as "first pistol/second pistol"; "left revolver/right revolver"; or "with each handgun" are considered as "1st five shots/2nd five shots." when shooting GUNFIGHTER-STYLE The last few words could also be changed to "for all shooting styles."

Geeesh! :)

Buck.

Take your suggestion up with your TG to get it on the vote,,,,,,,,wait!! You are your TG. Well Fooey!!

This topic is the results of all the lawyering and word smiths.

I am SOOOOOO glad I don't shoot gunfighter! You guys are welcome to it.

I am SOOOOOO glad I don't shoot gunfighter! You guys are welcome to it.

It ain't so hard. It's just that some unread folk have a few incorrect preconceived notions about how it's done.

CR

It ain't so hard. It's just that some unread folk have a few incorrect preconceived notions about how it's done.

CR

amen!!!

CR

Another +1

It's not rocket science. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

1st 5 shots, 2nd 5 shots is not that hard.

Archived