SASS Wire Forum

new brass... everyone using starline?

Hurricane Deck 100366

I like my Winchester 44-40 brass as it is one of the thinnest and seals well. If I ever use it all up I might switch to Starline as it is quite a bit cheaper and works well also.

Starline is very good brass, IMHO.

For 44-40, my experience is that Starline and Winchester are very good.

Remington has a thicker case mouth, and splits more often.

Remington brass has some trouble sliding into the chamber of my Uberti rifles with .429 lead.

--Dawg

Been using Starline 45 Colt Brass since I started this game back in 2011 with no regrets. Good value when ordered directly from Starline.

Starline here as well. The only mistake I made was to order 2,000 of each caliber I load since I'm probably still reloading the first 500 of each and the rest is still sitting in my bins just waiting their turn. It'll take me forever to use up all the brass.

I think a lot of folks don't know that you can get the best prices and free shipping direct from Starline's website. You gotta watch some of the retailers though, they'll put it on SALE for more than it costs to buy direct from Starline.

Their 44-40 brass is perfect, not a whisper of blowback into the receiver.

I have a pile of new and (now), once-fired Starline brass. I doubt very much, or I'd be surprised to hear, that anyone has any significant negative feedback on new or used Starline Brass.

BUT, I also use other headstamped, "once-fired", or "who-know-how-many-times-fired" brass. The difference is that I have a significantly long $#!+-list of brass headstamps that I consider to be simply unloadable/unusable. I sort and inspect all "new" (to me) batches of used brass (haven't gotten any recently) and the bad-headstamped brass goes into the recycle bin. For .38 Special at least, if you sort and inspect your brass religiously before you clean it, and religiously inspect your reloaded ammo, you will have a very rare few if any, problems with your reloading equipment, or with ammo-related failures or problems (ammo or equipment), either in practice or in competition.......REGARDLESS of the level of competition, given the (generally) low powered CAS loadings we use.

Just my view, yours may be differ.

Starline and Winchester "without rings" is what I seen used the most with top shooters. I personally only feed Starline in my 73 from now on. Whatever else goes only in the pistols. I like how Starline goes the extra step and removes the burs from the flash hole after it gets punched out. Quality control with them it top notch!!

I have 3500 starline brass that I load. Sold my once fired brass that I started with after I picked out all the starlines.

For World National or State Championships we all use new Starline in our rifles. We use Starline brass in the pistols for up to four times fired. After about 4 shoots it goes into the monthly match brass. We use all the other brands for practice and some monthly

matches if short on Starline. Great brass.

Yup. Starline. 45 Colt. When I first started cowboy action shooting I bought remanufactured ammo at local gun shows. A lot of this ammo was mixed headstamp so I have a lot of mixed headstamp brass but I relagate this to practice ammo. I inspect each case before reloading it to determine whether or not to reuse it. However, Star Line makes up the bulk of my brass, probably 90 to 95 percent. I sort through them right after the tumbling process and make sure I know exactly where the mixed headstamp brass goes.

I managed to find bulk Starline brass from Midway USA a couple years ago and I've still not worked my way through most of that.

I use New Starline brass for all rifle rounds at major matches. I've bought a lot of Once-fired brass. Most of it is Federal and Speer and they work well in my 650. In fact, most brass works well in my 650 except for Top Brass and Winchester. The Top Brass does not fit into the shell plate... and I've tried two different plates, and I find it difficult to seat primers into Winchester Brass. (Blew up a whole tube of primers one time trying to seat a primer into a Winchester 38)

Snakebite

To avoid getting confused I reload my ammunition by headstamp on the brass. For CAS I only use W-W stamped brass. My Starline brass is use for non-CAS loads.

p.s. Being OCD the 50 rounds of new R-P I have is driving me crazy since I only use W-W and Starline.

Is everyone using Starline? I know there are a number of other new brass brands so curious what everyone else is using.

Hurricane - of course not everyone is using Starline.

Starline does not manufacturer brass for all handgun & rifle calibers!

I know there are a number of other new brass brands

Am curious - what are these new brass brands? Am not aware of any new manufacturers.

In fact, Winchester & Remington have announced they will no longer sell bag brass to the retail reloader. All their brass is now dedicated to the production of their ammunition

Hornady makes first class brass, got some .44-40 brass I converted (necked down) to .38-40, once through the .38-40 size die and load ...

Norma also makes first class brass...

We also see "Top - Brass" up here seems just fine, haven't loaded it enough to really try it out ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have used Starline, and it's great stuff.

I also use Winchester and Remington brass.

I basically use whatever the store I happen to be in when I see the brass has in stock.

I could not tell you all the *other* brass I use that came to me via factory ammo, range pick ups, range MIX ups, random lots that have been given to me and who knows where else.

And that's in all kinds of different calibers.

PRECISION head-stamped brass is made by Starline

In fact, Winchester & Remington have announced they will no longer sell bag brass to the retail reloader. All their brass is now dedicated to the production of their ammunition

What is your source for this tidbit of information? If true it is going to create a panic for brass.

(and just about the time I get my powder inventory built back up).

My 2 sons, 2 brothers and I use Starline in a variety of calibers for both CAS and non-CAS shooting from 38 colt to 45-70. Going on our 4th year, not a single split case yet. Extremely happy with the performance and price. I have nothing negative to say about Starline. I just wish they made rifle brass, particularly 30-06. Their customer service is very friendly and helpful. IMHO you can't go wrong with Starline.

Howdy Ladies & Gents!

I been using Starline Brass seems like forever with top notch results! We visit Starline and Sierra at least once a year, they share the same block outside town. There may be better brass out there but I myself have not run across any that tops Starline folks.

Winchester & Remington have announced they will no longer sell bag brass to the retail reloader. All their brass is now dedicated to the production of their ammunition

What is your source for this tidbit of information?

* Discussion on a BPCR forum: words from a supplier distributor

* Telephone calls to Winchester & Remington Customer Service

im gonna tell it like it is - ive always used once fired then shot them till they failed , ive never had an issue in a match except for high primers that were my own fault , various brands over the years , i won some new starline and it loaded harder - my bullets did not sit as well and im not blaming the brass - i think its because im set up for fired brass - im now gonna reload once fired starline to find out , again im not blaming the brass - i think its my setup , ill report back eventually

Archived