SASS Wire Forum

Recommendation on spur maker

Chief Rick

Can anyone recommend a spur maker in the US that offers a nice set of spurs, not really fancy, for a reasonable price?

I don't mind spending $100-$200, but I can't rationalize $300+. Now a hat on the other hand... :D

I don't know if they are still in business but there was a pair of brothers up in the ne that made Spurs Thant where a part of sass I think one was wimpy and never met the other.

Howdy,

When I was in Wyoming I got a set of centennial spurs.

Nice enough and well made.

Maybe look around for a nice used pair?

Or do you want someone to make spurs to your spec?

Best

CR

Howdy,

When I was in Wyoming I got a set of centennial spurs.

Nice enough and well made.

Maybe look around for a nice used pair?

Or do you want someone to make spurs to your spec?

Best

CR

A nice used set would be fine. Not looking for real fancy but a little bit of show would be ok.

Looking over eBay I've seen the same spurs by a couple different sellers with prices from about $50 to $140. Begs the question at to which is more accurately priced?

As I don't know anything about spur pricing I figured I'd ask here so as to hopefully not be taken for a ride. I can't tell by most of the auctions who the makers are or where they are made, either.

Rick

They were the Lindholm brothers and were staunch supporters of SASS.

Both are in serious medical straights. Their spurs are made from a special "bell bronze". There will be no more Lindholm Spurs made.

If you watch any later westenrs their spurs were the singing spurs for a lot of the actors.

I have a pair for sale from another SASS shooter who has had to quit shooting.

PM me if interested. They are collectors out West here.

Ol'. #4

Rick

They were the Lindholm brothers and were staunch supporters of SASS.

Both are in serious medical straights. Their spurs are made from a special "bell bronze". There will be no more Lindholm Spurs made.

If you watch any later westenrs their spurs were the singing spurs for a lot of the actors.

I have a pair for sale from another SASS shooter who has had to quit shooting.

PM me if interested. They are collectors out West here.

Ol'. #4

Also, when I rode bulls in the 80s I use bob blackwood Spurs I think it was it was bob blacksomething.

4 what is he wanting for the Spurs? I have a set of plain military enlisted style Spurs from them and wouldn't mind a fancier set.

Check a local feed store.

http://georgeblackwoodspurs.com/

George has made 3 pair of spurs for me, and a few custom bits for me also.

Top notch stuff. He does great work. But going to cost you more than $100 bucks.

You might get just a basic spur with no silver for $100.00 Maybe.

Getting ready to have him make me another pair of spurs.

Also, when I rode bulls in the 80s I use bob blackwood Spurs I think it was it was bob blacksomething.

Yes. Bob Blackwood. He rode bareback horses and when someone stole his gear. He ended up making

his own spurs to save money. They caught on he started making them for others. Turned into a business

for him.

The link I posted above is George Blackwood. His son. That has taken it to another level from what

his dad started all those years ago.

I don't have any but I have been looking latley. These are what I found on the net. good enogh for cowboy dress up.

http://www.wildwestmercantile.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=12100&type=store

https://www.westernemporium.com/store/001808W.php?eesc=srp

My wife got me a pair from Amazon I think it was, they were ok, had to be bent to fit my boots, and were overall just 'eh'

My guess is that they were about 30 bucks.

Never wore them.

Bought a pair of Lindholm Brothers as they were closing up shop, one of the last pairs they had. they were maybe 180 bucks and worth every penny. I wear them every match now.

All a matter of personal taste in the end, and what a person wants.

Grizz

You get what you want to pay for. A fully handmade one piece pair of spurs takes me a minimum of 20 hours to make. That is splitting and forging each spur out of one piece of steel and hand cutting the rowels and mounts. How much is my time worth? Just how handmade do you want?

The Lindholm brothers sold a cast spur in tradition of August Beurmann and other production spur makers at the end of the 19th century. If you can get some Lindholm spurs, do it. They are beautiful. Most spur makers today have the shanks, bands, rowels and some of the mounts pre-cut either by laser or water jet. A set of stainless steel spurs welded out of precut parts takes me 6 hours to finish with no mounts. Both the cast and precut spurs take a lot less time and are a whole lot less hand made. The cheap spurs from overseas are just as handmade. Someone had to weld and finish them (at 15¢ an hour).

I guess I hair up a bit over the price issue. Sadly I haven't made a pair in 4 years because I can make 4 times as much an hour running a loader part time.

JFN

The cheap spurs from overseas are just as handmade. Someone had to weld and finish them (at 15¢ an hour).

JFN

And they don't use real silver.

Have paid anywhere from $600 to over $1,000 for a pair I had made for the wife.

But we use them for more than just SASS.

Spurs and tack are just a part of life for us.

I have spurs by local spur/bit maker, Lindy Guest and Ed Sims of Uvalde. I believe Sims is no longer in business but if you could find a used or new pair on a auction site, they should be good buy. Ed was much a legend in the trade as Blackwood is Lindy seems to keep getting better and you can find him at http://www.lindyguest.com/. Great guy with really nice work.

Archived