SASS Wire Forum

henry big boy where does ti fit in gun time line

gabby the frog

Look in the Shooters handbook, I do not believe it is listed. Seems it is legal for BW.

Well,

The Henry Big Boy is a modern designed and manufactured rifle, not a replica of any pre-1900 firearm. The HBB does not qualify for either B-Western or Classic Cowboy. Most CAS/SASS shooters stay away from this rifle. Some firearms dealers will suggest it's a good choice for CAS but they are mistaken.

Hasta Luego. Keystone

(Edit to strike out text in error, sorry)

I am just an average cowboy shooter, but I thought that the idea of B Western was to emulate the actors of the westerns made in the 1930s and 1940s. If they carried a rifle, they all used the Winchester 1892 or Marlin 1894. Some shot a Winchester 1892 dressed up to look like a Henry 1860, but it was still a model 1892.

i shoot b western would big boy be appropriate for this category its a gun that never existed in our time frame kind of a cross between marlin 94 and henry yellow boy just not sure where it fits

If you haven't got one yet, DON'T!!! They're just not good for what we do!

Well,

The Henry Big Boy is a modern designed and manufactured rifle, not a replica of any pre-1900 firearm. The HBB does not qualify for either B-Western or Classic Cowboy. Most CAS/SASS shooters stay away from this rifle. Some firearms dealers will suggest it's a good choice for CAS but they are mistaken.

Hasta Luego. Keystone

Most of the local gun shops are Henry dealers and every one of them try to tell me what a great CAS rifle the BB is. So I ask them how long they've been shooting CAS and not one of them has ever said they shoot CAS. When you try to discuss why the Henry doesn't make a good CAS rifle the first thing they say is "Well it's made in America" that's their only come back.

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories)

SHB p.10

“B” WESTERN

Any main match revolver. Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters‘ discretion.

Rifles: Any SASS–legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess, Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).

SHB p.16

It is LEGAL for BW

Put a dad blasted loading gate on the thing. There's a reason they never changed back after 1866.....

I had a gun shop guy (a good guy I like and respect) show me how smooth the henry was, I told him that he has never handled a smooth lever gun.

The Henry Big Boy is LEGAL for B=Western and all age based categories. (See post #9).

From the factory the action works well for its design, however there are few after market parts to make it better. You can use a Marlin adjustable main spring to lighten the lever force and a Marlin single piece ejector.

Polishing and or use of the action will smooth it up some more, but as is, it is not a race machine. It also does not cost $1300.00 - $1800.00 from the factory either.

Time line for the "Henry Big Boy" Shooter buys one ,,, Shoots a couple of matches ,,, throws it in the Trash...

Buys different gun ...

Jabez Cowboy

It is tomato planting season in many areas so there will be a big demand for tomato stakes soon.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Straight to the trash can; why would any one buy one? I have been at a shoot twice and was unfortunate to be on the Posse

with a Cowboy trying to shoot one of these rifles. No fun at all, as they constantly malfunctioned! Hoss

In actual answer to your question. The Henry Big Boy doesn't fit ANYWHERE in the CAS timeline for the game we play save just one spot.

It was designed and manufactured after 1880 and therefore is legal for use in B Western as well as all the other categories EXCEPT Classic Cowboy.

Previous comments pertaining to it's actual "usability" are, unfortunately, spot on. Great plinker, probably good for hunting as a "Brush Rifle" but doesn't run quickly nor fast at all.

Coffinmaker

If you already have multiple Rossis and want to invest in something better, then a likely option is to send one of those Rossis to a master gunsmith, like Steve's Guns. For less than the cost of a new BB, you can have a 92 copy that runs pretty quick and more reliably.

If you already have multiple Rossis and want to invest in something better, then a likely option is to send one of those Rossis to a master gunsmith, like Steve's Guns. For less than the cost of a new BB, you can have a 92 copy that runs pretty quick and more reliably.

Very good advice..... ;)

..........Widder

But, if you like the looks of the Big Boy, have tried one at least working the lever to see if iot fits you then get it! I started this game with a Winchester 94 Wrangler (big loop lever) in .44 mag, because I was shooting a Colt New Frontier and a Ruger Vaquero in .44 spcl. Oh Boy did I get opinions and advice about how my rifle was terrible and how it would slow me down! Little did they know that I just liked going around with a big loop carbine like the Duke and didn't give a spit about time and winning, I already had, being able to walk around in a cowboy outfit healed. This game is about everyone's fantasy, and if a Big Boy rifle is part of yours then God luv ya and step up to the firing line. You want to know a big secret? We all have about 3 or 4 rifles and shoot different ones when the mood strikes. The most important notion in this whole game is to have fun, and let the ones who want to take it serious to let them. You will have a big smile on your face and that is all that matters besides tipping your hat to the ladies!

Nimble Fingers!

But, if you like the looks of the Big Boy, have tried one at least working the lever to see if iot fits you then get it! I started this game with a Winchester 94 Wrangler (big loop lever) in .44 mag, because I was shooting a Colt New Frontier and a Ruger Vaquero in .44 spcl. Oh Boy did I get opinions and advice about how my rifle was terrible and how it would slow me down! Little did they know that I just liked going around with a big loop carbine like the Duke and didn't give a spit about time and winning, I already had, being able to walk around in a cowboy outfit healed. This game is about everyone's fantasy, and if a Big Boy rifle is part of yours then God luv ya and step up to the firing line. You want to know a big secret? We all have about 3 or 4 rifles and shoot different ones when the mood strikes. The most important notion in this whole game is to have fun, and let the ones who want to take it serious to let them. You will have a big smile on your face and that is all that matters besides tipping your hat to the ladies!

Nimble Fingers!

Amen. I do a 73, a BB, even a heaven help me Gold Rush Lightning whenever the mood strikes. Just to add, the BB is a heck of a lot more reliable then the lightning rifle.

have 2 rossi's one brass and blue and one brass stainless hand steve work on ss one the first time i use the gun the first three empty cartridges end up in my hat the next time i lever the gun one of the empties ends up in the action and buy the time i stop laughing whole stage is blown all to hell but its still fun so still playing but my son wants it was thinking of buying a replacement just thought bb woulkd be cheaper i dont go fast anyway

Nimble Fingers, I cannot even fathom how anyone could view a Big Boy as anything but the ugliest, boxiest looking creation that spits bullets created by man.

In actual answer to your question. The Henry Big Boy doesn't fit ANYWHERE in the CAS timeline for the game we play save just one spot.

It was designed and manufactured after 1880 and therefore is legal for use in B Western as well as all the other categories EXCEPT Classic Cowboy.

Previous comments pertaining to it's actual "usability" are, unfortunately, spot on. Great plinker, probably good for hunting as a "Brush Rifle" but doesn't run quickly nor fast at all.

Coffinmaker

It's slow on the commercial AND you can tell they cut & spliced it to get that........lol

Nimble Fingers!

This! And Henry is American made. I agree that you will probably never see an EOT winner shooting a Henry, but they support us and we should at least parse our words when pointing out their shortcomings.

CR

This! And Henry is American made. I agree that you will probably never see an EOT winner shooting a Henry, but they support us and we should at least parse our words when pointing out their shortcomings.

CR

You are kidding right?

CR

How does Henry support CAS?

I've seen them as match sponsors from time to time. Don't ask me where. I know I have brochures from match packets.

CR

Nimble Fingers, I cannot even fathom how anyone could view a Big Boy as anything but the ugliest, boxiest looking creation that spits bullets created by man.

That's how I feel about Rugers, but more of them are brought to matches than any other pistols so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For what it's worth, I nearly bought one of their 45-70 rifles. And then I saw it in person and grabbed the marlin next it instead. That one really is pretty darn ugly

When I quit sass I sold my Long Hunter Uberti 73 Rifle, but kept my Henry. Beauty is in the eye of beholder love Ruger's too. That said, I have lived in California, but would live in any Florida swap before I would go back. Its all in the way you look at it. Henry is not for speed shooting, but it has worked great for me just fun shooting. But if I remember right I think I shot 12 clean matches with the Henry.

I personally thought the .22 was cute, but still got my son the 9422 on sale at Bass for 250, back about 10 years ago, with the checkered stock and forearm and never looked back. But I have a friend who bought his son the Golden Boy, and wanted the Big Boy in .45 and I tried to talk him into a 92 or a "Yellow Boy" since he had a Beretta Stampede, and he insulted me! He called me a gun snob because I kept pushing Winchesters at him. And it hit me like a ton of bricks! I was taking away his fun by trying to change his mind on the rifle he wanted to shoot! Never again! So as someone above did say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I felt the same way about Marlins, only seeing them on the Big Valley, and only wanted Winchesters! But supposedly, Marlins are the fastest, smoothest for our game, if you are competing. Never have and never will, compete that is, I go to shoot cowboy, dress cowboy and walk around healed here in FL! So why should I tell someone else what to shoot and like? That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Just happy being a Cowboy any chance I can!

I had a Henry, bought it before I started shooting matches. It was a nice shooter for plinking and had very nice wood on it (the $600 Henry had wood ten times nicer than my $2500 Beretta shotgun) but was not a good gun for SASS. The faster you shot it the more it jammed, and after about 40 rounds it would get very tight.

I got me Two Big Boys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one turned 24 yesterday and the others 21 both run much faster than I can...

And they is Henri's grandsons... :D:P:D:D :D

You can get a Rossi 92 for about the same dollars and a lot less headaches ...

The 92 can run faster than 50% of us need ... :D

The Henry Big Boy = heartache ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived