SASS Wire Forum

1965 North American Aviation Counterinsurgency Tour of Viet Nam

Subdeacon Joe

Made in 1965, this film shows members of North American Aviation staff arriving in Saigon, to asses U.S. Navy needs in counterinsurgency in Vietnam. The film contains images of Saigon in this era, including shots at 1:25 of bullet holes in the Brinks Hotel, which was also the sight of a famous bombing during the Vietnam War. A funeral procession is seen at 1:40, the result of a claymore mine being set off in a restaurant. U.S. Navy personnel are seen advising Mekong riverine forces starting at the 2:30 mark. At Tan Sun Nhut Airport, seen at the 5 minute mark, large numbers of American aircraft are seen in operation. Air Vietnam and Air America aircraft are seen operating at the 8:30 mark. The Mekong Delta is also seen during the rainy season, and a trip to the USS Coral Sea operating in the Gulf of Tonkin. Flight operations are seen aboard CVA-43 starting at the 12:20 mark. The A-1H Skyraider is seen at the 14:40 mark, along with other aircraft. Refueling at sea is shown at the15:50 mark. Aircraft aboard the carrier Bon Homme Richard are also seen at the 17 minute mark.

We encourage viewers to add comments and, especially, to provide additional information about our videos by adding a comment! See something interesting? Tell people what it is and what they can see by writing something for example like: "01:00:12:00 -- President Roosevelt is seen meeting with Winston Churchill at the Quebec Conference."

This film is part of the Periscope Film LLC archive, one of the largest historic military, transportation, and aviation stock footage collections in the USA. Entirely film backed, this material is available for licensing in 24p HD and 2k. For more information visit http://www.PeriscopeFilm.com

I worked for North American Aviation from 1960 to 1978 (except for a 2 year hitch in the US Army in 1963/65). Very interesting film, doesn't really say if the trip was funded by NAA or the Navy. I have never heard of it, even though I worked for S & ID Division where it originated.

Archived