SASS Wire Forum

Broody Hen... Sad update; Better ending.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got names for them as yet?

Uh...

No! :huh:

Feel free to submit suggestions. ^_^

Chicken wings, chicken legs, chicken thighs and chicken breasts.

for a few days you might even be able to put them in a wheel barrel with pine shavings on the bottom and attach a heat lamp. i did that with some ducks once and kept them in the garage. not for long though.

I want to see Hardpan sexing the chickens to see which is which when he names them.

I like the names of Henny Penny and Chicken Little. IF the sex matches.

Ah what the heck, it don't matter no mo. They can use any bathroom they want. :lol:

Well, hell. Maybe this one works.

Success :) :)

Interesting on how check the sex of chicks...I always thought they went looking for the, instead they look a feathers...I wonder what happens if the they have both...Goes both ways???

TL

I'm a city boy...Don't know any thing about farming or other stuff that area...

TL

Four of them li'l boogers peepin' away... one more working on getting outta his shell... two more eggs-in-waiting.

Yeesh... Sure wish Mama was still around to do this stuff! :mellow:

They gonna be house pets?

Refer to reply #9...now you gotta do all the work.

Sorry :-(

:-(

Both for Henrietta and her babies.

:-(

Refer to reply #9...now you gotta do all the work.

Wish I'd paid heed... life would be so much simpler now!

Hardpan:

You do understand, I hope, that chicks bond with the first creature they see after hatching?

They will follow you everywhere!

LL

Yep!

Moved 'em to a large plastic "tote" with paper over wood grindings from the weekend's mulching exercise. Every time I move in to their field of vision they peep they fool haids off.

As of this mornin', they are five. Two eggs left; one has a "pip" hole - it's occupant wants out.

Sassparilla Kid: "Well, Dad... looks like we're building a chicken coop this weekend!"

I don't know how good you are at building things but you might want to start looking at chicken coops and runs

I don't know how good you are at building things but you might want to start looking at chicken coops and runs

We just happen to have a set of chain-link panels for a 10' X 15' (or there 'bouts) kennel, unused since the dog died 'bout eight years ago.

Oughtta be a suitable start. ^_^

Buddy of mine tried to talk me out of 'em for just this purpose. "Uh... Nope. Might need 'em myownself." :)

We just happen to have a set of chain-link panels for a 10' X 15' (or there 'bouts) kennel, unused since the dog died 'bout eight years ago.

Oughtta be a suitable start. ^_^might want think about the chain link part, if it is the standard 2" square, not so much for the chicks to get out but what might get in

Buddy of mine tried to talk me out of 'em for just this purpose. "Uh... Nope. Might need 'em myownself." :)

Good luck no matter what

Thanks, Shoer...

Pondering a wrap of chicken wire, too. But not too many things 'round these parts that could get in... no weasels or such; a few foxes, maybe, but it should keep them out.

Thanks, Shoer...

Pondering a wrap of chicken wire, too. But not too many things 'round these parts that could get in... no weasels or such; a few foxes, maybe, but it should keep them out.

Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. To keep predictors out I'd suggest 1/2" welded hardware cloth.

Archived