SASS Wire Forum

Broody Hen... Sad update; Better ending.

i have mine in a 10x20 dog kennel, with a gate and fence half way. chicken wire all around two feet high but not between the two sections. it's funny watching the chicks run through the kennel fence to the other section until one day they have gained weight and can't get back to the other side and get their upper half through but not the rest. i am keeping 6 ducks on the other side and don't want them to mix.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooookay.... We're done. :)

Just got home from a Boy Scout meeting in the next county... and in the tote were four half-shells and two new additions to the herd. :lol:

There be seven o' them boogers now! One of 'em got rowdy and tried to peck me... Haw! Nervy li'l rascal! ^_^

Just some stuff I know and watch out for...

Don't try to get into the chick-sexing bigness; it'll drive you crazy. :-)

There'll be one or more roosters. If they're fighting chickens, when they reach maturity, they'll fight to the death ("There can be only one!"). You'll have to find homes for the roosters you don't keep. BE SMART! Don't let the hens hatch any chicks!

You only think there are no weasels. Also snakes will get in and take chicks and later, eggs they lay, California ground squirrels (kill them) will dig in and take chicks and eggs, too. If your birds are from good fighting stock, they'll kill and eat mice and an occasional squirrel. Throw the birds any mice you catch; they fight over them. If you keep more than one rooster, you'll have to cage all but one or tether them (find game bird accessories online). Get two BIG one-gallon galvanized chicken waterers from State Line Tack of Valley Vet Supply; never let them run out of water. If it gets past 90 degrees, spray them with a fine mist or provide good shade. Watch for rodents and wild birds in their pen...you'll be feeding everyone. Chain link is okay, but cover it 2-3 feet up with smaller-hole wire "aviary netting," not chicken wire. Coops are best; keep your birds up off the ground at night if possible....shut them in at night if you can. If they forage at all, watch for domestic cats, bobcats, hawks, coyotes, snakes and dogs....kill them all, if possible (shotgun....watch your field if fire!). My little birds are the protected species.

They'll all have different personalities.

:-)

As soon as he finds a "feral" pig hanging around.....maybe(?).

:-)

Cat, good advice... I'll order up some aviary netting when we get close to movin' 'em outdoors.

Don't think they're "fighting" chickens, although one of the li'l guys went after my hand... cute li'l scrapper. Ha!

I think Mom may have been a brown leghorn - take a peek at her picture on Page 1.

Badger, we be somewhere between suburban and rural. Nearest feral pigs are about 15 miles from here. :)

Cat, good advice... I'll order up some aviary netting when we get close to movin' 'em outdoors.

Don't think they're "fighting" chickens, although one of the li'l guys went after my hand... cute li'l scrapper. Ha!

I think Mom may have been a brown leghorn - take a peek at her picture on Page 1.

Badger, we be somewhere between suburban and rural. Nearest feral pigs are about 15 miles from here. :)

Tag the one that went for the hand....First to the frying pan...

TL

Archived