SASS Wire Forum

Prince Fans

Yul Lose

Rest in Peace, Prince.

I think it's time to lock this topic.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure that the topic needs locked, I think it's more that some people need to remember that saying "If you can't say something nice............."

I personally was never much of a Prince fan, he had a couple of songs that I'd listen to if they came on the radio but that's about it. However, as a musician myself I do admire and respect the man's musical talent, because he WAS talented, whether I was into his music or not. There have been plenty of musicians who's music I did enjoy that have passed away, and admittedly in a lot of cases it was their own actions that caused their deaths, but not all. The guitar player that my son is named after died in a plane crash, and one of my favorite bass players was killed in a tour bus crash. Regardless of cause of death, it still saddened me that such talent was now gone, and would never be heard from again. I think what DocWard said summed it up nicely, but although no one outside of my immediate circle of family and friends will ever care when I pass, as a musician I don't hold any jealousy or resentment towards famous musicians that get so much attention from hordes of total strangers when they pass, or any other famous person.....um, isn't that the whole point of "famous"? That a lot of folks know who you are? So I'm not famous.....that's life and how it works.....no big deal.....

Thats about how I see it also.

If some folks think the attention given to a deceased is to much, as in the death of Prince, just wait till Jimmy Buffet passes away.

Parrotheads are everywhere. His music has attracted millions for probably over 30+ years.

..........Widder

That is going to be one hell of a party..

Michael Jackson was extremely talented too. Should we heap praises on him? Let us not forget Princes big hit, "Cop Killer".

I didn't listen to his music either, but I did happen to catch a big Award show he was on.

This was back in the 80s when he was big, and popular. Before he got whatever he was awarded, Loretta Lynn received a lifetime achievement award for her work. Now THERE was talent. And this was when Country artists didn't receive mainstream awards for their music. She came up on stage, and gave a pleasant, very gracious acceptance speech. It was obvious how much she appreciated the honor.

Then came Prince. He strolled up to the stage, trailing a BODYGUARD, picked up the award with a "I deserve this" look on his face, said a perfunctory, "Thank you", and walked off.

The only times I've ever thought a bodyguard would be appropriate at an awards show would be for Taylor Swift to keep Kanye West off of her.

Rest in Peace, Prince.I think it's time to lock this topic.

Rest in Peace, Prince.I will agree with you on this

I have no need for you to agree with me regarding anything.

Cat Brules

To bad 'a lot of ' great talent is created and fueled by drug useage, both in music and sports circles.

Great talent is NOT CREATED by drug usage!!! Maybe fueled but not created!!

Wether you liked his music or not the fact that he was supremely talented remains. Purple rain alone sold over 21 million copies before he died. That's double diamond record. Not many artists reach that. Its selling like crazy again. 19 of the top 20 i tunes were prince songs this week

He played over 20 instruments. Wrote hits for many other artists in different grenres of music rap pop r&b just to name a few.

If you want to see very talented guitar look up. While my guitar gently weeps by him

Great talent is NOT CREATED by drug usage!!! Maybe fueled but not created!!

I cannot say whether there is a nexus between creative genius and substance abuse or mental health issues. It certainly seems more difficult to think of rock stars of the modern era who haven't had brushes with substance abuse or mental health issues than those who have. But the phenomena is hardly a modern one, or one confined to the wild rock lifestyle. William Holden has previously been mentioned among actors. Alan Ladd is another. Among writers, Hemingway was a heavy drinker and suffered from depression. Edgar Allen Poe also comes to mind. Country music legends also come to mind. Hank Williams died as a result of his alcoholism and drug addiction. Then there is the famous George "No Show" Jones, who struggled with alcoholism most of his life. Going back even further, Mozart was said to suffer from depression, and possibly what is now termed bi-polar disorder. My favorite composer, Beethoven, was also said to have dealt with depression and alcoholism.

So, if Prince did indeed die a junky, he did so in some amazingly talented company.

I cannot say whether there is a nexus between creative genius and substance abuse or mental health issues. It certainly seems more difficult to think of rock stars of the modern era who haven't had brushes with substance abuse or mental health issues than those who have. But the phenomena is hardly a modern one, or one confined to the wild rock lifestyle. William Holden has previously been mentioned among actors. Alan Ladd is another. Among writers, Hemingway was a heavy drinker and suffered from depression. Edgar Allen Poe also comes to mind. Country music legends also come to mind. Hank Williams died as a result of his alcoholism and drug addiction. Then there is the famous George "No Show" Jones, who struggled with alcoholism most of his life. Going back even further, Mozart was said to suffer from depression, and possibly what is now termed bi-polar disorder. My favorite composer, Beethoven, was also said to have dealt with depression and alcoholism.

So, if Prince did indeed die a junky, he did so in some amazingly talented company.

Agreed that a lot of talented people were involved with drugs and alcohol et. but what I'm saying is the talent is there long before the drugs, drugs cannot create a talented person. There are many many famous artists, actors and musicians that don't fool with drugs or alcohol. If drugs created talent then we should all go on drugs!!! :wacko:

Agreed that a lot of talented people were involved with drugs and alcohol et. but what I'm saying is the talent is there long before the drugs, drugs cannot create a talented person. There are many many famous artists, actors and musicians that don't fool with drugs or alcohol. If drugs created talent then we should all go on drugs!!! :wacko:

Oh, I got that, and absolutely agree! My apologies for not making that clear.

Ole George never wrote a song about killin cops either.

Can you point me to this song? I must admit I am unaware of it. I am familiar with the song done by Body Count, who Ice-T use to be with, but as for Prince having written one, I'm clueless.

Can you point me to this song? I must admit I am unaware of it. I am familiar with the song done by Body Count, who Ice-T use to be with, but as for Prince having written one, I'm clueless.

I was wondering the same thing. "Cop Killer" was not a Prince song.

Let us not forget Princes big hit, "Cop Killer".

I think you have the wrong musician: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Killer_(song)

As for Prince's musical talent, I will defer to the musicians such as Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Elton John and Brian Wilson who admired and mourned him.

I was wondering the same thing. "Cop Killer" was not a Prince song.

Not his style.

I'm pretty sure David Allen Coe has written many more socially inappropriate songs than Prince ever did...

I'm pretty sure David Allen Coe has written many more socially inappropriate songs than Prince ever did...

Inappropriate is in the eyes of the beholder.

For instance: My Country, 'Tis of Thee... ;)

Oh, I have no doubt even our national anthem also offends plenty of folks today.

I think you have the wrong musician: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Killer_(song)

As for Prince's musical talent, I will defer to the musicians such as Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Elton John and Brian Wilson who admired and mourned him.

Whoops. My apologies.....wrong hip hopper!

I am a bit too old to have been a fan, but my boys loved his music. While it was not my cup of tea, the man was the greatest guitarist on the planet, and that includes Hendricks. I suspect there's one hell of a jam session going down somewhere in the cosmos! ;)

RIP Prince...

Wether you liked his music or not the fact that he was supremely talented remains. Purple rain alone sold over 21 million copies before he died. That's double diamond record. Not many artists reach that. Its selling like crazy again. 19 of the top 20 i tunes were prince songs this week

He played over 20 instruments. Wrote hits for many other artists in different grenres of music rap pop r&b just to name a few.

If you want to see very talented guitar look up. While my guitar gently weeps by him

Worth a listen to the end for Prince's guitar solo. Not only a great musician, but a great showman as well! Where the heck did that guitar go!!? :lol:

Lot of unfounded hate in this thread. He didn't write 'Cop Killer', that was somebody else. He didn't OD on drugs, he was a devout Jehovahs Witness, in fact he refused any publicity for all the help he gave to other musicians, to schools, and to charities because he was Jehovahs Witness and I guess they're supposed to be humble. If you don't like rock, funk, or pop then there's not much chance you'll like his music, but if you're so eager to badmouth somebody without even bothering whether it's true or not, that tells me more about you than it does about him. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, this country seems to be running on hate these days, but I guess I was surprised to see it here.

Again, I liked him. What we're learning now was he had no will. Millions are going to wind up going to the tax man and attorneys. Got to get my butt in gear and get my will updated. What a mess.

I am a bit too old to have been a fan, but my boys loved his music. While it was not my cup of tea, the man was the greatest guitarist on the planet, and that includes Hendricks. I suspect there's one hell of a jam session going down somewhere in the cosmos! ;)

RIP Prince...

[/quote

Apparently you have never heard James Burton

While I agree he was talented, I am reluctant to label any guitarist "the greatest," even my own personal favorites, Jimmy Page and Alex Lifeson. There are simply too many out there, playing too many styles, past and present who are, in their own way, incomparable.

Andres Segovia, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Vince Gill, Charo, Roy Clark, Eddie Van Halen, Les Paul, Gary Hoey, Stanley Jordan, Earl Klugh, Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Richie Blackmore, Jerry Reed, Billy Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vernon Reid, Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery... Just to name a few.

While I agree he was talented, I am reluctant to label any guitarist "the greatest," even my own personal favorites, Jimmy Page and Alex Lifeson. There are simply too many out there, playing too many styles, past and present who are, in their own way, incomparable.

Andres Segovia, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Vince Gill, Charo, Roy Clark, Eddie Van Halen, Les Paul, Gary Hoey, Stanley Jordan, Earl Klugh, Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Richie Blackmore, Jerry Reed, Billy Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vernon Reid, Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery... Just to name a few.

Let me add a few, Al Dimeola, John Scofield, George Benson, Bill Frissel and a ton of unknown guitar studio musicians that can play rings around most rockers!

Roy Clark

Archived