SASS Wire Forum

Prince Fans

Yul Lose

So the artist called Prince died, any fans out there? His music was mostly noise to me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were. While his later songs were un-listenable, some of his earlier work like "Little Red Corvette", "Purple Rain", "Raspberry Beret" were quite good.

I like some of his music. Very talented and from what I recall, a very private individual, which is unusual in the that business.

At one point, he declared himself "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince". I guess that's true now, and proves irony isn't dead. Somehow I think that might amuse him.

RIP.

I'm saddened by the loss of this true artist. He was quiet, unpretentious, friendly, generous. Now it looks like drugs were the cause of his death. A loss to us all.

I didn't know him personally so I have no idea what kind of person he was. He was obviously very creative and much admired. My condolences to his family and friends.

As long as I could ignore the visual vulgarity of his persona, his talent was amazing. His music shaped my generation, including all of us who graduated high school in '83 and promised to get together on 12/31/99 to sing this:

My condolences to his family and friends.

As a musician he was a genius. Although I'm not into the genre. He was a part of a subculture that is part of many of today problems. Too bad that he was. I respect all forms of muscical talent. May he RIP.

I can't say I was a fan. I recognized he was a very talented individual, though. If his music was on the radio, I would generally listen to it, but I don't own any.

The reason he changed his name was due to being frustrated by his dealings with the studio he was under contract with. At the time, I thought it ridiculous and pretentious, but after the fact, when I understood more, I thought it was novel thinking on his part.

I think we've lost a talent, one with much creativity left.

Never liked any of his music, the only one I can think of is his "1999", same riff over and over again! ZZZZZZZ

Hope he rests in peace

He had amazing musical talent and innovation whether you liked his music or not. Losing a real musician and yes, an artist, is a loss to society in general but certainly to his fans.

I happen to not be a fan but do have some fond memories of his music from the 80's when I was growing up.

I hope he finds peace.

His early works came about while I was young and care free. I liked his music then but then his style and my taste in music drifted apart. He was talented though. R.I.P.

Much adoo about nothing Thirty one police officers and numerous other first responders have died in the line of duty this year. How many members of our military have been killed? What about the thousands of just plain good hard working Americans who toiled to make an honest wage to feed their families. Where are the purple bridges for them, where is the public out cry for the "tragedy" of their death?

I'm tired of the public wailing and cries of sympathy when one of these so called "heroes" dies

Amazing talent is Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chick Corea, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Arthur Rubinstein, Bill Evans…..it goes on and Prince doesn't even come close to these giants of music. C'mon folks you're talking about pop rock!!

BTW, he was treated for a drug overdose last week on his plane! :wacko:

I liked him. He will be missed.

I try to live by the code , I will do my best to forgive the haters , they just don't get it.

I fought my daughters tooth and nail over buying music or listening to this guy. Thought the lyrics were trashy then and still do but like I said his guitar skills were admirable.

My concerns fell on deaf ears of course but revenge is sweet. They cringe when stuff like this is played around their kids and I just laugh my butt off.

Much adoo about nothing just another dead junkie. Thirty one police officers and numerous other first responders have died in the line of duty this year. How many members of our military have been killed? What about the thousands of just plain good hard working Americans who toiled to make an honest wage to feed their families. Where are the purple bridges for them, where is the public out cry for the "tragedy" of their death?I'm tired of the public wailing and cries of sympathy when one of these junkies OD's

This man, Prince Rogers Nelson, didn't engage in organized crime, street crime or violence and instead, he worked hard to learn and enhance his craft, entertained and was admired by millions, inspired and was emulated by countless other artists, and died a sad, premature death. Whether we liked his music or not, is irrelevant. Your vitriolic unkindess is pointless and simply out of place, in my view.

Cat Brules

This man, Prince Rogers Nelson, didn't engage in organized crime, street crime or violence and instead, he worked hard to learn and enhance his craft, entertained and was admired by millions, inspired and was emulated by countless other artists, and died a sad, premature death. Whether we liked his music or not, is irrelevant. Your vitriolic unkindess is pointless and simply out of place, in my view.

Cat Brules

He was no less or more important than any other hard working person in this country and deserves no more or less tribute in death than anyone else

Cat Brules

+1

He was no less or more important than any other hard working person in this country and deserves no more or less tribute in death than anyone else

But he doesn't deserve to run down for no reason. You have no proof of his cause of death. He was born with epilepsy and had other health issues.

On top of that, he played 21 instruments well enough to play them on his albums, wrote and produced most of his own work and that of many others.

I have edited my OP and I'll wait for the autopsy before commenting on his cause of death, but his drug abuse was not a secret

O

One could say the same about Merle Haggard...or any entertainer who passes. But thats the way it is and has always been. Fame guarantees people will talk about you when you pass, right or wrong. No sense getting aggravated about it.

Have a bourbon on me.

I have edited my OP and I'll wait for the autopsy before commenting on his cause of death, but his drug abuse was not a secret

Now that's what I call a broad stroke condemnation.

William Holden's alcoholism was no secret yet in spite of it, he became one of the greatest actors of the 20th century. BTW, he died alone in a drunken stupor because he fell, hit his head and bled to death.

Sorry, one of my nerves has been plucked...

Why the outpouring of grief when there isn't such a showing for police, military and others? I don't know about you, but there have been tremendous showings for those deaths, the difference is, those showings tend to be local. Why? Because the people are known, respected and loved locally. When a musician or an actor dies, particularly a popular musician, people are able to equate that person's art with their own lives. Often, they have very specific memories tied to the works of the artists. While they didn't know the artist in the true sense of the word, the artist was very much a part of their lives. If you've never heard a song and been transported back to other days, whether good or bad, and had memories rush through you powerful enough for you to feel it then perhaps you can't understand this. For those who can't, or haven't experienced such things, you have my sympathy.

Why the outpouring of grief when there isn't such a showing for police, military and others? I don't know about you, but there have been tremendous showings for those deaths, the difference is, those showings tend to be local. Why? Because the people are known, respected and loved locally. When a musician or an actor dies, particularly a popular musician, people are able to equate that person's art with their own lives. Often, they have very specific memories tied to the works of the artists. While they didn't know the artist in the true sense of the word, the artist was very much a part of their lives. If you've never heard a song and been transported back to other days, whether good or bad, and had memories rush through you powerful enough for you to feel it then perhaps you can't understand this. For those who can't, or haven't experienced such things, you have my sympathy.

Thats about how I see it also.

If some folks think the attention given to a deceased is to much, as in the death of Prince, just wait till Jimmy Buffet passes away.

Parrotheads are everywhere. His music has attracted millions for probably over 30+ years.

..........Widder

Archived