SASS Wire Forum

Fenway Park turns 104

Shawnee McGrutt

She has gone through many changes over the years, but still remains basically the same.

Fenway Park opened on April 20, 1912.

Now if those floppers could win some games.

Beer and hotdogs are on me.

Do they play baseball there? :P;):D

They did last night.

Also it was the anniversary of Ted Williams first Major League at bat. 1939, man, that was a long time ago.

Classic stadium!!

Story about Ted Williams: They asked him about 20 years ago or so (?) how he thought he would stand up to the modern day pitchers. He said, "I'd probably bat around .300. The interviewer said, "Really?" Ted said, "Oh yea but don't forget I'm 70 years old!" :lol: Loved that guy! Last hitter to hit .400

I'm not huge sports fan; I do have some particular interests. There is simply no better baseball experience than a night game at Fenway, with a cooling breeze blowing out over the Wall, all the fans happy and cheering, and the Yankees going home defeated. (Sorry NYers, but someone has to lose....). How many pro stadia still have hand set scoreboards? Or a live organist? Or a theme song from Neil Diamond? Or a quirky left field wall that requires artistry to play off of? It's a field of dreams and memories - I saw Roger Clemans strike out 20 Mariners there, and will never forget the crowd's excitement as it built and then exploded. Never saw so many people so thrilled by a sports event without anyone getting hit or hurt.

Archived