SASS Wire Forum

Patriot's Day in MA

Patriot's Day (an official holiday in MA) starts early with the Battle of Lexington and Concord.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/04/18/lexington-reenactment-helps-kick-off-patriots-day-festivities/22mzBZ6wfMtizolc4kbLkM/picture.html?p1=Article_Gallery

My town, as well as many others in this area, sent men to fight that day; they are remembered every year with parades, re-enactments, and groups of Minutemen making the march (yes, on foot!) from the surrounding towns to the battle sites. It is a day of remembrance and re-commitment to principles.

There is much more to history in MA than the current political winds.

LL

One of my ancestors was one of the 120 or so men standing on Lexington Green.

I stood on Lexington Green. It wasn't April 19, 1775 but it was a moving experience.

Hollowed ground for sure.

Ed for spelling.

Badger:

I can't let that one pass - its "hallowed ground", not "hollow".

Too early in the day to start hitting the moonshine, pard!

My favorite local spot to stand and feel the spirit of the Revolution is Concord Bridge; you would swear that you can hear shots fired and balls whizzing past your head.

LL

We'll have to put that on our list of places to visit. Thanks for the info.

If you go that far, consider the Freedom Trail and a Duck Boat ride from the Pru or Museum of Science. Other excursions are not as much fun. And "Duck Boats" from the Aquarium do not go into the Charles River.

Archived