SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Captain Bill Burt

Hi Skinny Tom,

I wish it were so. However, where a DQ is involved, improper coaching, has been ruled out as grounds for a reshoot.

This may be the case as safeties carry over in reshoots.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Actually proper coaching or no coaching at all are not grounds for a reshoot.ROI, Page 4 "Proper coaching is not considered RO interference and, therefore, will never be grounds for a reshoot. Improper coaching that either impedes the shooters progress or results in a procedural penalty may be grounds for a reshoot."

The command by the TO to move was improper however, as stated by the ROC, the shooter is supposed to know all safety regulations regarding movement with gun in hand and following the improper command of the TO, in this instance, will not result in a reshoot.

If shooter ignored scorekeepers stop command AND someone was down range and shooter did not see that person he would also have been given a penalty?? no because that is a command given by the CRO or TO mixed messages, who is in control of the stage and rules?If it is the TO he must assume responsibility what if the shooter was a new shooter or youngster If you have the RO pin what good is it if you have no clue and have no responsibility.

If shooter ignored scorekeepers stop command AND someone was down range and shooter did not see that person he would also have been given a penalty?? no because that is a command given by the CRO or TO mixed messages, who is in control of the stage and rules?If it is the TO he must assume responsibility what if the shooter was a new shooter or youngster If you have the RO pin what good is it if you have no clue and have no responsibility.

If someone is down range the command is CEASE FIRE and anyone can yell that. You need to take the RO I and II courses. They will answer your questions.

So, are multiple SDQ violations on the same stage a MDQ?

Or where can I find the clarification from a year or so ago?

http://oowss.com/ROCornerIndex.htm (this link is also at the bottom of the Affiliated Clubs page)

April 15, 2015

The T/O's command to "MOVE" was given as the shooter was in the act of cocking the revolver in the wrong location. (see OP)

At that point (or even if it was already cocked, but the T/O didn't see that it was in that condition), the T/O was giving PROPER coaching in an attempt to prevent the "P".

SHOOTER's responsibility to know the "safe conditions for movement with a cocked/loaded firearm".

REF: RO1 pp. 16-17

Larson, the RO1 booklet states that Ceasefire OR STOP is the command given when any unsafe situation exists You have made my point for me Thank you I will move along as I do not want this topic to turn nasty.

Shinny

The only command that the shooter MUST follow is CEASE FIRE/STOP. Everything else is coaching and it's up to the shooter to know the condition of their firearms and what they can and cannot do with them.

10-10-4+

Stage instructions call for shooting shotgun from behind a horse, then taking at least one step to the left before engaging pistol targets. Shooter finishes shotgun, draws and cocks pistol, TO almost simultaneously says 'move' shooters steps to his left with pistol (cocked) Scorekeeper says 'stop' Shooter stops, decocks and holsters pistol hammer down on a live round.

Howdy Tom, check OP, right handed shooter draws left pistol first......TO is behind shooter on the right side (correct side for right hander) and cannot see him cocking the pistol......we are allowed to move with pistol out but not cocked. RO says "move" which is the correct command from where he is.....all this happened "almost simultaneously"

Hi there Allie I am new to all this and I am attempting to understand some of these rules. If TO left shooter be a P would be all that was given TO steps in and says move shooter moves .gets a SDQ and Scorekeeper yells STOP which started the ball rolling towards another SDQ which the RO1 book says that is a CRO or TO command and shooter gets another SDQ? TO and scorekeeper bear no responsibility? yet shooter is to follow commands .Sounds like follow commands get a penalty and get a penalty for not following commands. I apologize but this makes no sense the shooter was not being coached he was being giving. commands

If you are gonna STOP as in CEASE FIRE from the peanut gallery then you are the one who should know to look to RO on how to make firearm safe. The shooter should not have decocked on live round then holstered, no ones commands caused this.... the shooter is responsible for knowing the rules and safe gunhandling at this point.

On a side note; when shooting and I hear someone holler STOP I look to the RO to see if it applies to me. More than once I've seen someone from the peanut gallery hollerin' STOP!! or HEY YOU STOP!! STOP!! at someone walking up to the stage without eyewear. It happened to me once, I looked back and saw what was going on so I finished the stage. I was offered a reshoot, but I didn't want to mess up a clean stage ;) .

I've learned to only pay attention to the RO when I hear loud stuff behinde me, I've got earplugs in and it could be anything. IMHO if someone other than the RO sees a reason to stop the stage they should holler "CEASE FIRE!! CEASE FIRE!! muzzles down range." Reshoots are much easier in a perfect world. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Archived