SASS Wire Forum

Wooden nock arrow source?

Come On Christmas

I bought a hickory longbow to further make my neighbors nervous.

I started looking for wood arrows with bird feathers and wooden nocks. Whoa. Getting them from China is cheap, but ya gotta wait till mid May to get em.

What beez a good USA source?

I am shooting in a rendezvous April 30.

Need some 28" to 30" arrows. Have mercy on a poor boy.

I haven't picked up a bow since I was in scouting and my Dad was the merit badge counselor and Neighborhood Commisioner.

Thanks and Flu Flu,

Crayfish

Crayfish, have ya tried 3 rivers archery...? As I recall, they had pretty good selections of all sorts of stuff.

Been a while here, too, but pondering "re-discovering" the sport. Recently gave my son my old mid-70's Bear Grizzly. That thing brings back memories... walking into archery shops and being immediately greeted by the strong perfume of cut cedar. I turned out many, many dozens of cedar arrows with my single Bitzenburger. Slow process, but enjoyable.

So now I'm bow-less. Gave my PSE to a fellow who'd fallen on hard times and had to sell his one bow, and my old Jennings was stolen. Drat!

I'm still kicking myself for selling my old Ben Pearson recurve. It wasn't much, but it was mine. Mom got it for me for Christmas one year from a pawn shop.

I know Crayfish is looking for wood, but how well do carbon composite arrows shoot from a longbow or recurve? I tried a couple aluminum arrows from the Pearson and it was pretty pathetic. That was part of the reason I sold it, because I couldn't get wood arrows.

So... anyone want to expand the discussion? :)

"Split Fingers" or "Three Under?" :rolleyes:

Which ever works. Some bows like split, some three under.

Oh, I vote for 3rivers as well. They've been good to me.

Three under??

Never heard of that, but as long as you are using your fingers and not a release, you're doing right. :)

One above, two below.

And my Bear Grizzly likes aluminum just fine.

My 1958 Bear Polar shoots carbons without complaining and also I shoot split.

My daughter is taking lessons from a local guy who is some sort of multi champion. He is teaching he 3 under as I bought her a recurve. I am trying it, still not convinced, learned split finger. So far I equally suck using either method!

Three under??

Never heard of that, but as long as you are using your fingers and not a release, you're doing right. :)

One above, two below.

And my Bear Grizzly likes aluminum just fine.

Yeah... "Three Under." :huh:

I'd never heard of it 'til recently; back in my day, trying to shoot like that would warrant something between reprimand and ridicule. :wacko:

Three under was always looked at as a target thing when I was a youngin. Split fingers was for hunting, better control and you had a better chance of keeping the arrow on the rest especially in the woods or brush. I've shot split fingers (mediterranean grip) for over 55 years and I don't plan on changing now! I make my own longbows and they don't much like aluminum but my old recurves do just fine with it. Honestly I've never tried carbon as I generally make my own arrows too.

Three under is for Olympic style shooting with the bow held verticle. If you wish to shoot instinctively go split fingers.

I haven't shot a bow in many years (I destroyed my bow shoulder with a 72 pound longbow drawn to 31 inches) but I still have my homemade 60" 60# osage long bow, my 60" 60# bear Kodiak, and my 60# and 65# limbs for my Bear custom Kodiak Takedown. If I never shoot them again they will never be for sale.

The composite arrows work well out of a recurve. You just have to find a pro shop with someone who knows how to set one up. For heavens sake don't try to make the new 1" plastic vanes work. Never happen. 4" to 6" feathers are the ticket

Split finger

For wooden nocks, check these guys out: http://www.raptorarchery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146_120&products_id=117 Ted has hand made all of my bows and my arrows. He does an amazing job. He recently made one for my 3 year old son who loves to shoot it now.

I wanted arrows with real feathers after I got a cheap longbow and got back into shooting arrys. I went thru Amazon. I got about a dozen of a target style, they are approx. 32 inches long. nock is in the wood and then a nylon wrap around the shaft between the nock and the start of the feathers. they have a fairly nice feather possibley turkey or such. my only complaint is there is no indication where the top feather, so I put a black mark to indicate the position. price was reasonable.

if you want more info or pix drop me an email

curley

I still have my cedar flatbow with oak tips that I made in 1994. 72# @ 28" and deadly with hickory arrows and Zwickey broadheads.

The Traditonal Bowhunter mag has lots of good sources for equipment and excellent stories.

I wanted arrows with real feathers after I got a cheap longbow and got back into shooting arrys. I went thru Amazon. I got about a dozen of a target style, they are approx. 32 inches long. nock is in the wood and then a nylon wrap around the shaft between the nock and the start of the feathers. they have a fairly nice feather possibley turkey or such. my only complaint is there is no indication where the top feather, so I put a black mark to indicate the position. price was reasonable.

if you want more info or pix drop me an email

curley

What do you mean by this?

"Index Feather" (sometimes referred to as the "cock feather") , at 90 degrees to the nock/bowstring. Keeps it from being stripped by the bow handle or rest when shot... the other two will ride over them at a softer angle.

Usually it's a different color or has a distinctive marking of some sort.

"Index Feather" (sometimes referred to as the "cock feather") , at 90 degrees to the nock/bowstring. Keeps it from being stripped by the bow handle or rest when shot... the other two will ride over them at a softer angle.

Usually it's a different color or has a distinctive marking of some sort.

Ah cock feather. Yeah it's actually a myth. It's not necessary and physics has proven it does not matter. I spent the vast majority of my life believing it mattered and still shoot it mostly that way to this day out of habit, but it doesn't matter at all. If you don't believe me, shoot it cock in and cock out to see if your patterns change. They won't.

Thinking I will get the Chinese ones off EBay and wait on em.

Gonna go to Gander Mountain and get 3 or so cause I won't be judged too harshly cause this event is the Fundevoo to show ya the correct way a doing things.

Pretty sure we walk on a trail and shoot at critter targets from backyard distances.

I have never shot without an arrow rest. I figure a glove on my left hand. One of the three finger tab dewys. Wild rag wrapped on my left forearm. For a stab at authenticity.

Oh split finger for me.

Gonna make this bow for the meantime practice.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/250583059599

Above is the bow I bought.

Crayfish

RK, it wasn't so much for the affect on accuracy as it was for preservation of feathers. Which of course could affect accuracy.

Some of the glues used back in the day just weren't up to today's standards... I've had a few come loose at the leading end and kinda peel back a mite. ^_^

RK, it wasn't so much for the affect on accuracy as it was for preservation of feathers. Which of course could affect accuracy.

Some of the glues used back in the day just weren't up to today's standards... I've had a few come loose at the leading end and kinda peel back a mite. ^_^

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure I've either lost or had arrows break long before I've ever had feathers come off. The range by my house is really nice, but the targets are made for carbon arrows so misplace it and it's kindling. Miss the target, and you'll never see it again haha b

https://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-PRBk9tt/A

we have 11 grandkids, often times we call it Camp Cole, lately we have been shooting arrows.

they all enjoy the stuff and they are learning things. and they have fun too.

curley

I've actually done my own what is called "Self nocks". A slot is cut in the shaft and a piece of hard wood is glued into the slot, then the actual nock is cut at a 90 degree angle to the block of hard wood. Looks cool and actually works really well. I got a jig and saw and all the goodies from Raptor Archery many moons ago. Haven't shot my recurve in many moons now. Life kind of got in the way...

So... anyone want to expand the discussion? :)

"Split Fingers" or "Three Under?" :rolleyes:

What about "thumb?"

And BTW - My wife (Dar Dar Plinks in SASS) won the California State Championship for longobow shooting 3-under.

EC

What about "thumb?"

And BTW - My wife (Dar Dar Plinks in SASS) won the California State Championship for longobow shooting 3-under.

EC

Howdy, Eamon! :)

Good recall there ~ Ishi used a "thumb-pinch" draw. One of the things I recalled from an anthropology class some 45+ years ago...

Here's a picture, and an interesting recreation of his arrow-making technique:

Nativam$ishi-with-bow.jpg

Not only that Hardpan, but many Eastern type bows (Magyar, Hungarian, Mongolian) use a thumb release as well. Though a lot of them were shooting from horseback.

EC

There a couple of Combat Archers from the SCA that use a thumb release as well. Makes some sense given the protective gear that is usually worn.

EC

Archived