SASS Wire Forum

Price and Value Comparison on Dryer

Hurricane Deck 100366

The wife and I like estate sales. I found a forced air (low speed fan) food dehydrator for $10 NIB about 2 1/2 years ago. It works great. I've found 2 other cowboy friends food dehydrators at other estate sales for about $15 bucks each.

This system works great. Buy the Hornady if you want it right now, but if your frugal like me, keep your eye open and yard sales or estate sales and you can save a buck or two.

Something else to consider. You can't assume they are the same just because they look the same on the outside. It could be the Hornady version has some internal upgrades or changes not available on the other. They may have decided the timer and temperature circuitry needed to be spec-ed differently. The type of material they are molded from could be different.

A good example of how that happens. I once bought a lesser priced stand mounted belt sander because it looked just like the high end version. Unknown to me until they failed it also had plastic gears and belt drives that didn't hold up.

This particular item only has one moving part. it's a fan motor. they are identical.

Towel on a baking sheet?! To me, that's high tech. I use old newspaper and put them on the deck in nice weather, on top of the dryer in bad weather or just some corner of the garage.

Roll the brass on a towel a bit then it goes on a frame covered with window screen. Air can flow up from the bottom and dries the brass faster. At least that's my theory.

Hurricane, I'm not seeing the same numbers you did. Looking at the Nesco site their 'Retail" price is $47.99 and Hornady's site

shows their "Retail" price as $76.67 so there is obviously a higher "Retail" price but I thought to myself... who ever pays full retail for anything so I visited your Amazon link it is showing $39.51 with free Prime shipping and Looking for the Hornady unit on Amazon I found it for $53.99 with the same free Prime shipping so that would make the Hornady unit $14.48 more than the Nesco, hardly double the price.

Personally, I have always found that comparing full retail prices to discount warehouse prices usually will give useless data when shopping around

Hurricane, I'm not seeing the same numbers you did. Looking at the Nesco site their 'Retail" price is $47.99 and Hornady's site

shows their "Retail" price as $76.67 so there is obviously a higher "Retail" price but I thought to myself... who ever pays full retail for anything so I visited your Amazon link it is showing $39.51 with free Prime shipping and Looking for the Hornady unit on Amazon I found it for $53.99 with the same free Prime shipping so that would make the Hornady unit $14.48 more than the Nesco, hardly double the price.

Personally, I have always found that comparing full retail prices to discount warehouse prices usually will give useless data when shopping around

Okay, so lets compare full retail to full retail. The MSRP on the Hornady unit is, as stated, $76.67. Nesco's MSRP, right from them is $44.99 a 31.68 difference. - a 41% difference.

I also didn't look terribly hard on Amazon for a non-msrp for the Nesco, so lets do that: I found it for $29 with free shipping. Lets use your 53.99 price you found on Amazon, thats a difference of $24.99. The Nesco still comes out at roughly 1/2 price from the Hornady. a 47% difference.

Seems like my original statement about the Nesco being "about half the price" still holds true.

Personally, I have always found that if you're going to subject another persons math to close critique, you'd better have your numbers right.

Either way, it's still a food dehydrator.

Archived