SASS Wire Forum

Price and Value Comparison on Dryer

Hurricane Deck 100366

One of the items that Hornady "introduced" at this years SHOT show is a parts drier to go with their ultrasonic cleaner.

It's this right here. Works great, gives super results. nice dry cases and parts - and quickly.

053310_case_dryer_LG.jpg

That's all fine, well and good. I use a similar device to clean my brass. their "new" item retails for $76.67

you can see it here: http://www.hornady.com/store/Case-and-Parts-Dryer/

Now, take a look at this. This is the Nesco FD-37A.

41cKDDdOxGL._SX300_.jpg

Look familiar? Even has the same number of "vents" on the top! This sucker retails for $34.14 and will ship free if you have an Amazon prime account. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-37A-American-Dehydrator-400-watt/dp/B00CS5ZI6G

They are both 400 Watts. The Nesco comes with 4 trays, the Hornady comes with a "spacer" for large items (break out the grates on tray #4 of the nesco and you have the same spacer).

Other than that, these two machines are identical.

I'm low-tech.....................I put wet brass on a towel in a baking sheet and set them in the sun for a coupla days (Or on top of the dryer in Winter)

Thanks for the heads-up on the dryer

--Dawg

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 15, 2016 - Title edited
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 15, 2016 - Title edited

So...? Hoodwinked.. mighty big word.

Fillmore

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 15, 2016 - Refers to hidden post.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 15, 2016 - Refers to hidden post.

So...

Fillmore

So what? Are you asking whats the point?

Point is simple. They've taken a common product, slapper their sticker on it and doubled the price in the hopes some shooters will pay for that fancy sticker.

Companies brand other folks products all the time.

I don't think of it as hoodwinking, just marketing. Though the markup on that dryer is pretty extreme.

It pays to be a savvy consumer.

Mileage always varies.

Just to be "fair" Amazon also sell the Hornady with free shipping for $53.99

Closer, but still higher than one without red color.

Companies brand other folks products all the time.

I don't think of it as hoodwinking, just marketing. Though the markup on that dryer is pretty extreme.

It pays to be a savvy consumer.

Mileage always varies.

+1

the company I work for does the same thing, much of what we sell is made by others and we pay them to paint it in our colors and put our logo on it. Hurricane is right, if you by the Hornady model, you are paying for the paint job. When our customers point out that they can buy the same product elsewhere for less, I tell them that we offer much better customer support. Of course, I provide that support and I do have a pretty high opinion of myself. :D

I question the value of this product for drying brass. I use my oven to dry the brass after wet tumbling. Set it to 170 deg. (lowest setting) and set it to turn itself off after 15min. (sometimes I forget stuff). I have checked them when the oven cut off and they seem to be dry already but since I paid to heat it up, might as well make use of it and leave them in there for awhile. I also set the timer for 1hr to remind me to go get them out. ('cause sometimes I forget stuff)

Hornady's website says the dehydrator will dry the cases in 1.5 to 2hrs and you have to allocate the extra space somewhere to put it. I think I'll stick to using the oven.

I'm confident that Hurricane Deck knows and understands the business world. After all, he's now part of it with his quality loading blocks, which can be found on the 'Merchants Corner' forum.

I think he just wanted many of us to know that if we are planning to purchase a brand name product, it would save us some good beer money if we considered another brand.

Heck, I don't even drink beer but I appreciate his sharing the particulars of this product.

p.s. - his loading blocks are beautiful. Check em out on the Merchant Corner's forum.

..........Widder

I'm low-tech.....................I put wet brass on a towel in a baking sheet and set them in the sun for a coupla days (Or on top of the dryer in Winter)

Thanks for the heads-up on the dryer

--Dawg

Towel on a baking sheet?! To me, that's high tech. I use old newspaper and put them on the deck in nice weather, on top of the dryer in bad weather or just some corner of the garage.

We need more Government regulation!

Said Monte Walsh, never.

:D

Towel on a baking sheet?! To me, that's high tech. I use old newspaper and put them on the deck in nice weather, on top of the dryer in bad weather or just some corner of the garage.

I just have an old piece of carpet that I put on my basement floor....leave the brass on the carpet for several days....sometimes weeks (cuz I forget about stuff too! :blink::wacko: )

Kajun

I find a baking sheet and a little time in the oven on its lowest temperature works just fine. I think that was about a $2 baking sheet.

On a side note, marking up prices for a name brand label is nothing new. If you think Hornady is bad, take a walk through a Harley shop.

While it's good consumerism to shop for a better deal, it helps to recognize that any time a product passes though someone's hands there is a cost that gets tacked on. As a buyer, the closer you can get to the original source will usually get you the best price. Research is the tool Pointing out that a similar product is a better deal is compatriotism, slamming a company that makes good products for trying to make a buck seems tacky. I have found Hornady to be a fair and reliable supplier who stands behind their merchandise.

Thanks for the heads up, but think how you'd feel if I found a less expensive source for the products you sell and then claimed you were scamming us with your price structure.

CR

Kinda like the Cabelas labeled Brass tumblers... They are just a Berry Manufacturing tumbler re-labeled. Dang good tumblers though! But you can get the whole kit from Cabelas cheaper then Berry's, if I remember correctly.

While it's good consumerism to shop for a better deal, it helps to recognize that any time a product passes though someone's hands there is a cost that gets tacked on. As a buyer, the closer you can get to the original source will usually get you the best price. Research is the tool Pointing out that a similar product is a better deal is compatriotism, slamming a company that makes good products for trying to make a buck seems tacky. I have found Hornady to be a fair and reliable supplier who stands behind their merchandise.

Thanks for the heads up, but think how you'd feel if I found a less expensive source for the products you sell and then claimed you were scamming us with your price structure.

CR

+1

Thanks for the heads up, but think how you'd feel if I found a less expensive source for the products you sell and then claimed you were scamming us with your structure.

CR

I too have found Hornady products to be reliable and quality. this is also probably a quality product. I don't even mind them making a buck. doubling the retail price is a bit much and shows greed. THAT is tacky in my opinion.

As far as your comment about the "what if" of my product. I am not an entire brand slapping my name on someone elses item. I am one product so I really don't fall into the same category as Hornady. However, If the market shifts or consumer sentiment changes I have three choices: I can either attempt to adjust my price, attempt to adjust my product or decide to stop selling them.

Hello,

Comparing prices and alerting folks to a better value is usually fine. Denigrating a valued supplier to the CAS community in the process is not.

Regards,

Allie

Sorry Allie, I've adjusted the original post.

Sorry Allie, I've adjusted the original post.

I think that was the proper thing to do. Hornady supports the shooting community and has great customer and warranty support.

Hurricane - Thanks for the the post. A new & refreshing product related to the the subject of drying brass. How long is the 'drying quickly? This dryer is 400 watts

Have to admit though - am old fashioned & stuck in my ways. My dryer is a typical 1000 watt hair dryer that can generate a maximum temperature of approximately 225 degrees F that I paid 10 buck for it at the Dollar General store

How to Dry Wet Brass in Under 2 Minutes!

Howdy,

Of course Hornady COULD go back to making that Delta Rest they dropped a while back.

It just needed a screw on lid, how hard is that?

Best

CR

I worked at in the engineering department of a company that made distribution transformers. There were always several brands going down the production line at one time. Some of the reasoning was that some company brands wanted a full line of products in their portfolio even if they didn't have a factory to produce everything.

Brass dryer.

Wash, rinse, set on back poarch in Arizona sun. Brass is dry and to hot to touch in short order. (Device shown only partially full so the scientificlly designed water drain holes can be seen.)

P4150056_zpszgnipopc.jpg

Hurricane - Thanks for the the post. A new & refreshing product related to the the subject of drying brass. How long is the 'drying quickly? This dryer is 400 watts

Have to admit though - am old fashioned & stuck in my ways. My dryer is a typical 1000 watt hair dryer that can generate a maximum temperature of approximately 225 degrees F that I paid 10 buck for it at the Dollar General store

How to Dry Wet Brass in Under 2 Minutes!

I usually let my brass run for a couple of hours. sometimes overnight just cause I go to bed with it on. Nice thing is that you can load it up, turn it on and forget it for a while.

I put my wet-tumbled brass in a bucket & cover it with silica gel cat litter. A $4.79 bag of Mimi litter will cover 300 pcs of brass & lasts for a year or more. 24 hours in the litter & the cases are bone dry, even in the primer pockets (no I don't deprime before tumbling). YMMV.

Holler

I worked at in the engineering department of a company that made distribution transformers. There were always several brands going down the production line at one time. Some of the reasoning was that some company brands wanted a full line of products in their portfolio even if they didn't have a factory to produce everything.

Did you happen to work at the Westinghouse (ABB) plant in Missouri?

Kajun

In the summer it goes on the deck to dry, in the winter it goes on a cookie sheet in the oven set to 170 ...

Both work just fine ...

Jabez Cowboy

I use the rotary tumbler with SS pins.

In the winter I put the brass in front of a heat register.

In the summer I put the brass on top of the dehumidifier.

After either, I put the brass into my vibratory tumbler with corn media and Liquid Turtle Wax for about 15 minutes.

REALLY SHINES!!! (and stays really shiny)

Something else to consider. You can't assume they are the same just because they look the same on the outside. It could be the Hornady version has some internal upgrades or changes not available on the other. They may have decided the timer and temperature circuitry needed to be spec-ed differently. The type of material they are molded from could be different.

A good example of how that happens. I once bought a lesser priced stand mounted belt sander because it looked just like the high end version. Unknown to me until they failed it also had plastic gears and belt drives that didn't hold up.

Archived