SASS Wire Forum

Primer Report and NMVs (somewhat anecdotal)

Ripsaw

I wonder if the OP might have swapped cylinders , with-out noticing there-by causing the problem...

That would explain the swap working so nicely ... I have seen this more than once ...

Jabez Cowboy

Very good point, I didn't pick up that he said 'both' guns worked right after he swapped the cylinders. I wonder if he knows the significance of the 3 digits on the cylinder face and if matching them up works better or mismatching them.

btw, I like your signature line, I've started using that answer when anyone asks why I'm shooting 45s :P

I wonder if the OP might have swapped cylinders , with-out noticing there-by causing the problem...

That would explain the swap working so nicely ... I have seen this more than once ...

Jabez Cowboy

that is NOT the case. The guns were purchased about two months apart and the first of the pair had this problem from the beginning. The second of the pair, which I just got last week, has worked fine.

that is NOT the case. The guns were purchased about two months apart and the first of the pair had this problem from the beginning. The second of the pair, which I just got last week, has worked fine.

So the question now is: When you swapped the cylinders between the two pistols, Did both of them ignite all your primers without issue with the lighter springs you wanted to use? If so; are the cylinders now mated to their original guns or are they installed in the opposite guns?

Just curious and attempting to be helpful. If you're shooting at West Point tomorrow bring them with you and we'll have a look/see. You should come tomorrow anyways, the weather will be perfect!

So the question now is: When you swapped the cylinders between the two pistols, Did both of them ignite all your primers without issue with the lighter springs you wanted to use? If so; are the cylinders now mated to their original guns or are they installed in the opposite guns?

Just curious and attempting to be helpful. If you're shooting at West Point tomorrow bring them with you and we'll have a look/see. You should come tomorrow anyways, the weather will be perfect!

The two cylinders are now in opposite revolvers and both now work fine, no FTFs in 120 rounds. With the lighter springs.

I will be at West Point tomorrow, and I'll bring them with me.

With additional testing, (about 200 rounds fired between the two revolvers), the FTF issue re-appeared in the problem revolver with the opposite cylinder, though much less frequently--about 1 in 20. I returned the cylinders to their proper revolvers, and the issue remains about the same with the one revolver. But its gone from 1 or 2 out of 5 to 1 out of 20 rounds that has a FTF with the 17 lb hammer spring and CCI primers.

May be time to follow your advice, Cody.

Does that sound to anyone else like a burr somewhere is wearing smooth?

Archived