SASS Wire Forum

73 Slix straight trigger

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

Keeps some folks from pinching their finger against the tip of the trigger, punching a hole in it and bleeding all over their $100 linen pants and their $500 cowboy boots. So, probably saved that pard $600 and a hurtin finger. :unsure:

Me, I just reprofile (bend and smooth) the tip of the trigger for free and get back to shootin'.

Good luck, GJ

Me, I just reprofile (bend and smooth) the tip of the trigger for free and get back to shootin'.

Good luck, GJ

Did you heat it first ?

I put one in right after Winter Range, shoulda but it in Before!

Works great, takes a bit of getting used to, but it really works

That smooth talking bunch got me also. Bought four and should have got five. I like the triggers, they just feel good to me. Between their triggers and 1050 press goodies I felt I was playing catch up with Sassy while she shopped close by at Working Ranch.

Did you heat it first ?

Nope. Just a short cheater bar with the trigger held securely in a vise. Can also be done with one hammer blow, if you're "experienced"

I try to avoid putting heat on fire control parts that I might have to re-heat-treat.

good luck, GJ

Check - I "experienced" a small adjustment to a '73 lifter arm so I understand what you're saying. Thanks.

I had one installed in both my 73s while at winter range. For me, the jury is still out. While I liked the idea, im having trouble adjusting to having the trigger that far forward. In my case, im finding that when I bring the lever all the way up so the gun is in battery, my finger is already pulling the trigger. Its like slam firing a 97. It may be because of my short stubby fingers or maybe I just need to give it more time to practice with it. Either way, it is disconcerting for the rifle to go off while I am still trying to site in the next target. Its adding up to a lot of misses. Also, if I hold off of the trigger so it won't fire prematurely, I find that my lever will not engage the lever safety and the hammer won't drop. Again, it may be I need more time to get used to it or my hand and fingers are to short. Im going to give it some more time to see if if I can work it out. I'll let you know how it goes. W. L.

I have three of these installed in my rifles...love em!! I was lucky and got one of the first run that matched my case hardening perfect!! second two are black. I have been using them since they first came out and they work great and are solid.

DSC_0018_zpsmrxzderm.jpg

DSC_0019_zpshzsynfb1.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I love my 66 but got talked into buying s 73. I just can't get my timing right with the 73. I put my 66 on top of my 73 and found that the 73 trigger sets farther back then my 66. So I have ordered the new trigger and feel that it will set more in line with what my 66 is like. But only time will tell. At Landrun I went back to my 66 is did okay. Except for one stage DQ do to my stupidity of having my hammer in the safety notch and getting called on it. Really. But that a whole nother subject.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I was doing a search on Model '73 triggers after skewered my finger yesterday afternoon on a practice stage. My technique may be faulty :( and/or I might need a trigger that sits a bit more forward like this straight one?

Driving a blunt piece of metal through the side of my finger and out the pad gave me pause. :blink:

NR

I have the SLIX Straight triggers in all of my 73 rifles. The SLIX trigger for the 73 works great, is easy to install and sells for a fair price. I had a short learning curve to get use to using it but it did speed things up a bit for my rifle time, and I have not had a case of "trigger bite" since installing it. There is not a better group of guys on the range than the folks at SLIX. They support the sport, always ready to help a pard out, and are tops in my book. I give them my highest recommendation.

Snakebite

At Landrun I went back to my 66 is did okay. Except for one stage DQ do to my stupidity of having my hammer in the safety notch and getting called on it. Really. But that a whole nother subject.

Take your hammer out and peen that safety notch down, then smooth it a bit with a file so that can't happen again. It doesn't serve a purpose in what we do with these rifles and that is one less thing to worry about.

Archived