SASS Wire Forum

Let's stop this. Miroku nonsense

Irish Pat

My Browning hi-power has Portugal on it. My Browning Gold duck gun was made in Japan, my Browning 1886 is from Japan, my scholfield is from Italy, I think my jeep is from China. Why don't we just call the New Winchester, Winchester.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that foreign origin does not mean poor quality. Miroku, has been known, for many years, as having high quality. Charles Daly Miroku shotguns bring a premium and are very well made. From what I have seen, the Miroku 1873's are also of high quality. the 1873's are made by Miroku with Winchesters specs and name on the gun. It is a new Winchester.

It does mean that they were not made in America, which some folks are not so happy about. But, as they say, look what Remington has done to the Marlin.

I love my Winchester '73 made by Miroku. I am happy they are still building a quality rifle with the Winchester name on it. The only real problem is finding one for sale at your local FFL.

Maybe we should do like Colt and refer to them as 2nd generation Winchesters. I think all they want is to separate them from original. GW

I agree that foreign origin does not mean poor quality. Miroku, has been known, for many years, as having high quality. Charles Daly Miroku shotguns bring a premium and are very well made. From what I have seen, the Miroku 1873's are also of high quality. the 1873's are made by Miroku with Winchesters specs and name on the gun. It is a new Winchester.

It does mean that they were not made in America, which some folks are not so happy about. But, as they say, look what Remington has done to the Marlin.

But Marlin is still made in the USA at a Remington owned factory.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 11, 2016 - Quoting hidden post
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 11, 2016 - Quoting hidden post

Still a "Japchester" in my book.

Al

What should we call the Uberty?

Ford's building a $1.6 Billion plant in Mexico to build their small cars in. I bought a Dodge pickup a few years ago that had the made in Mexico right on the sticker with the VIN # on the door. So I guess buying a rifle called a Winchester made by Miroku in Japan ain't such a bad thing.

Most call the Uberti built guns ..... TA DA ... Uberti. Uberti made '73 reproductions are still "Ubertis"

Miroku made '73 reproductions should be called Miroku. Winchester doesn't make guns anymore. Not for decades.

Never faulted Miroku built guns for quality. Very well made. Very Well indeed. But ..... they are Miroku guns.

Coffinmaker

I call 'em my main match guns. I didn't buy these things because of where they were made or what name was on the barrel, I bought them to shoot, and spend some quality time with my friends and family. Winchester owns the name so they get the right to put it on the barrel, no matter where it is made. Don't like it, buy a Henry, it is American made. Oh wait, they aren't related to the original company. Ya know what, almost nobody is, after 100 or so years, so get over it.

Tons of our shooters love their SKB shotguns to death! Most were contract made under order from the almost-out-of-business Ithaca Gun Company. Do we call them Ithaca Side by sides? Not very often. Most folks accept either name though (or even the Ithaca/SKB conglomerated name), without feeling that their ox was gored.

Maybe we would shoot more and talk less? :lol:

Good luck, GJ

This is confusing. My 'new' Browning BSS is stamped 'Made in Japan. Assembled in Korea'. It was made in in 1975, so I assume they meant South Korea. At the time the gun was made, Browning was owned by a conglomerate named Olin, that also owned the Winchester brand.

I don't care what they call it. But if it is supposed to be Winchester bringing back the historic '73, then I'm just very disappointed in the markings (barrel and tang). They had a chance to copy the originals correctly and blew it.

This is confusing. My 'new' Browning BSS is stamped 'Made in Japan. Assembled in Korea'. It was made in in 1975, so I assume they meant South Korea. At the time the gun was made, Browning was owned by a conglomerate named Olin, that also owned the Winchester brand.

Welcome to the global economy.

And now, Browning is owned by Fabrique Nationale-Herstal (Belgian), if I remember right. The folks that JMB went to to have some of his designs (like the Hi Power) manufactured because US companies didn't want them.

Good luck, GJ

I have a Winchester 101............made in 1963......................made in japan.

Ford's building a $1.6 Billion plant in Mexico to build their small cars in. I bought a Dodge pickup a few years ago that had the made in Mexico right on the sticker with the VIN # on the door. So I guess buying a rifle called a Winchester made by Miroku in Japan ain't such a bad thing.

My Buick Encore is made in South Korea! My buddies Honda is made in the USA, My Taylor's Uberti is made in Italy and my Winchester is made in Japan! As far as I'm concerned my Buick is still a Buick and my Winchester is still a Winchester! ;) BTW, it's the best lever rifle I've ever had and I've had quite a few!

Made in America

With imported parts

And assembled by illegal aliens.

Now Thanks American!

Right now, lots of pards use these terms to CLEARLY tell which of three different guns is being discussed:

Winchester 73 - built the by real Winchester company, none made after about 1940

Uberti 73 - a clone of the Winchester design built by Uberti (Italy)

Miroku 73 - an authorized clone of the Winchester design built by Miroku (Japan). Because it's authorized, it can carry the full Winchester roll stamp.

Saying you have a Winchester 73 when you have what the rest of us call a Miroku 73, just makes identifying the replacement parts, the speed parts, the repair parts, the problems that the gun can have, much more difficult. It would indeed be like going into an auto parts store and saying you have a Cobra, when you have that VW kit car clone. Then griping that the replacement carburetor they sell you won't fit.

Good luck, GJ

Right now, lots of pards use these terms to CLEARLY tell which of three different guns is being discussed:

Winchester 73 - built the by real Winchester company, none made after about 1940

Uberti 73 - a clone of the Winchester design built by Uberti (Italy)

Miroku 73 - an authorized clone of the Winchester design built by Miroku (Japan). Because it's authorized, it can carry the full Winchester roll stamp.

Saying you have a Winchester 73 when you have what the rest of us call a Miroku 73, just makes identifying the replacement parts, the speed parts, the repair parts, the problems that the gun can have, much more difficult. It would indeed be like going into an auto parts store and saying you have a Cobra, when you have that VW kit car clone. Then griping that the replacement carburetor they sell you won't fit.

Good luck, GJ

I disagree here. I have yet to hear or read anyone referring to their Winchester 73 as anything other than "my original Winchester 1873" usually followed up with "from 18XX". Myself included (from 1887). As the Winchester/Miroku starts to gain more prominence over the next few years, I think everyone will be referring to it as a Winchester vs an Uberti. There are several newer shooters I have run into that have one and call it either a Winchester or a New Winchester. I have yet to hear one of these folks call it a Miroku. I honestly think some of these people have no idea where it was made. The only people I have ever heard at a match call it a Miroku are those that like to feel superior by pointing out flaws in just about anything. Personally, I can tell the difference just by looking these days because the New Winchester looks way better than the Uberti's.

I have a pre 64 Winchester 30-30 that I re-barreled to 38-55, using an octagon barrel and other parts from Numrich. So do I now have a Numchester? :)

I have a pre 64 Winchester 30-30 that I re-barreled to 38-55, using an octagon barrel and other parts from Numrich. So do I now have a Numchester? :)

Haha you do now. Can I call you "Numchester" from now on without getting my a$$ kicked?

Archived