SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of moving to a Dillion

Johnny Dollar

Thanks everyone for your input! I actually found someone local with a 650 "package deal" type thing that they want to sell.... he has lots of expensive accessories that I'll never use however. I'm trying to see if he will break it up.

Admittedly, I don't know what accessories you're talking about but, you might want to reconsider asking the seller to break up the package. Buy it all and use it for a while. You might find you really do have a want/need for those accessories. If it turns out you don't need them they're Dillon blue. That means you probably won't have any trouble at all selling them yourself. Just food for thought.

Thanks everyone for your input! I actually found someone local with a 650 "package deal" type thing that they want to sell.... he has lots of expensive accessories that I'll never use however. I'm trying to see if he will break it up.

Matthew, I had mentioned that I only have two rifles at this point that I load for. My 45/70 and a 30/06 and will continue to use my RCBS turret for those since they are used very infrequently. That being said, I also don't want to get something that would exclude rifle from possible future use so you're right... the SD wouldn't work for me.

Don't turn down the package deal just yet. Some of the accessories (maybe all) could be valuable to someone else with a 650. If you get a good enough deal on the package, you can always sell the things you don't want.....in the end you could have possibly got a great deal.

Admittedly, I don't know what accessories you're talking about but, you might want to reconsider asking the seller to break up the package. Buy it all and use it for a while. You might find you really do have a want/need for those accessories. If it turns out you don't need them they're Dillon blue. That means you probably won't have any trouble at all selling them yourself. Just food for thought.

I thought about it, but his asking price for the whole thing is pretty high. One thing he has is the RT1500 case trimmer all set up for .308. I had a .308 and sold it to buy my 45/70. :) That's an expense I'd rather not take on in hopes I could sell it. He has extra tool heads and the like, that I do want.

Don't turn down the package deal just yet. Some of the accessories (maybe all) could be valuable to someone else with a 650. If you get a good enough deal on the package, you can always sell the things you don't want.....in the end you could have possibly got a great deal.

Yeah... but that's the problem. The guy wants top dollar for his package deal. He almost wants full retail for it. Its mostly unused but has been setup for a year and a half. Honestly the only reason I'm even talking to him is he is only a couple miles from me. I'll see if he is willing to make a better honest deal for the both of us. I'm not looking to scalp him but it needs to be both ways.

550 or 650 get a case feeder with it.

The Dillon dies are so easy to take apart for cleaning and not loose your dies set up. Well worth it. I have converting all of my dies to Dillon dies.

I'd go for the package deal on the 650. The trimmer can probably be converted to do other cases. New old stock is still new...if it's in good condition I'd be inclined to take it off his hands near the asking price. But try to talk him down. His mistake isn't your baby.

Hold da Fort ....

I know them Blue Machines is expensive, but best keep yer house ...

It gets Cold in Winter and da Missus might object living under a Dillon ...

Jabez Cowboy

Who is wondering where them Smiley faces went...

If you can scratch the gold together to buy the whole package do it reloading requires more than you realize at first. Besides the press you need dies, primer accessories, case prep tools, the scales, gauges trimmers etc. I have a large storage box full of things required to reload different calibers. I have balance beam scale, electronic scales, powder funnel, just look at a RCBS catalog to see half of the things out there that you'll eventually may need. I have a case gauge for every CAS round I shoot and any big match I try to run every round through the appropriate guage before putting the box for the match .. Even factory shotshells after having to resize half a box or more one time. Then you got spare part for all the equipment n hand that might break so your not screwed when you doing some last minute reloading for a match. A part breaks the great thing about Dillon is their no bs warranty but you still have to call them and then wait on shipping. I try to keep spare parts like springs , buttons etc on hand and when it does need replacing I call then pull the part out of my reserve stash so I can continue reloading. It only takes once for something to break or fly across the room and get lost to put you reloading on hold.

moved from a loadmaster to a 650...

no point to a 650 without a case feeder.

get the roller handle!

I mounted mine to the bench- no need to get the strong mount IMO/IME.

Get extra primer tubes.

I made my own primer flipper 'gear'r, but the Dillon works well too. you don't need the $300 automated one. (unless you get into the 1050s)

I use lee dies - already had them. no issues. not as long as a Dillon die so I have one with the locknut under the tool head.

get a tool head for each caliber. plus you'll need a powder mount - 2 if you get a powder check - I rec it. Cheap and you can load faster knowing every case is good with powder.

I can easily get 700-800 rounds an hour without hurrying. I do lube my cases (easier on my arm).

I think I spent 1100ish to get all setup (and I had dies).

Archived