SASS Wire Forum

Thinking of moving to a Dillion

Johnny Dollar

Yeah I know the first thing I'll hear is why did it take you so long..... Answer is I have no idea other than being stubborn.

I've been reloading since the late 70's always on single stages and even today I have an RCBS turret.

But lately I've been thinking more and more about going to the blue side with a progressive. Either a 550 or 650 with siding more toward the 650.

I shoot mostly pistol with the only two rifle being for my Garand and a sharps in 45/70 but I think I'll keep using my turret for that since I hardly shoot them.

Pistol I shoot mostly .45 colt, .45 acp and 9mm. So I'd use the Dillion for those.

I know you can use other dies with the Dillion but should you? After the expense of the machine, the dies don't amount to much more.

Any other tips anyone can share of what to look for? Needed accessories etc. ?

I'm sure I'll have additional questions as I go.

Thanks in advance!

-JD

The Dillon dies are made more toward a progressive press with radiused mouths. All I use is Dillon dies unless they are not offered. We run two 550's. Love them.

I did the switch about 8 years ago. Like you, I used a RCBS Rockchucker, and it servied me well. Still does as a 38-55 and 45-70 loader. Big shells, lots of power, fewer rounds. I went to the 550B, and currently reload .38/.357, .45 Colt, 9mm, ..22 Hornet and .32 H&R. I started out with various die sets, but gradually bought all Dillon dies. They are so smooth and dependable. These are MY personal experiences. Your milage might vary. (Oh yeah, I can reload 500 .38 spls in an hour, be hard pressed to do that on any RCBS.)

DO IT!!! You'll never look back.

Al

Just Do It! If able to do it, go with the 650

After using a 550 for years I added a 650. Since it was used it came to me with conversions for 45 ACP, 45 Colt & 38/357. I tried switching from caliber to caliber and my experience is the 650 is a PIA. What took 10 minutes on the 550 becomes a major event on the 650. So now the 650 is dedicated to 45 ACP only since that is what I shoot most and the 550 handles everything else. Other shooters I know have had the same experience. So my advice is if you are going to switch calibers, get a 550. If the machine is dedicated to one caliber, get a 650.

I did the switch about 8 years ago. Like you, I used a RCBS Rockchucker, and it servied me well. Still does as a 38-55 and 45-70 loader. Big shells, lots of power, fewer rounds. I went to the 550B, and currently reload .38/.357, .45 Colt, 9mm, ..22 Hornet and .32 H&R. I started out with various die sets, but gradually bought all Dillon dies. They are so smooth and dependable. These are MY personal experiences. Your milage might vary. (Oh yeah, I can reload 500 .38 spls in an hour, be hard pressed to do that on any RCBS.)

DO IT!!! You'll never look back.

Al

Keep the RCBS Turret. You will find uses for it - like the two rifle rounds you mentioned. There are aftermarket lights to illuminate the shell plate on Dillons that are useful. Brownells, Amazon, Grafs and Uniquetek all sell the lights. An RCBS Powder Lock-out Die is useful for a 650. It can prevent bad loads. Uniquetek has a nice selection of aftermarket accessories for Dillons. Check out their website.

Thanks for all the info and tips. I thought besides the indexing, the caliber changes would be the similar if not the same so that's something to consider. Although I do mostly .45colt these days.

I will be keeping the turret... I'll just have to move things around on the bench for both presses but I have room.

And Mr. Canby, thanks for the web site mentions. I'll check them out.

Cheyenne, I've heard nothing but great things about Dillion's warranty. While I've never had an issue with RCBS the few times I've used them, Dillion sounds great!

I have 2 Dillon 550s, 1 dedicated to large primers, the other to small. Whichever machine you buy, if you currently have carbide dies, use 'em, use the savings to buy toolheads & powder drops. +1 on the Uniqutek stuff, I have the shellplate bearings in both 550s & love 'em. The micrometer powder adjusters are also great!

The 550 will work well enough, but the 650 is a little better. Besides the indexing, there is an extra station in which you can insert a powder checker or lock out die to reduce the possibility of a double charge or no charge. It's a bit more expensive but over time the difference is negligible. In the end, either one will work. Good luck.

Howdy Johnny, just like with the guns we use I'm gonna suggest try before you buy :huh: .....I did and I went with maroon ;) . I know everyone hollers blue, blue, blue and I tried a couple, but I prefered the maroon Hornady LNL AP. It has all the features of a 650 and then some, at the cost of a 550. No problems with the primer feed, drum feed accurate powder measure, smooth action-no spilled powder, and quick change bushings make caliber change a snap. Check out the comparison from Ace of Hearts post. Also Ultimate Reloader has some good info all the models, and he (Gavin) has a bunch of very well done youtube videos of the different machines...........Good Luck :)

http://ultimatereloader.com/

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Hey Griff, yes all my dies are carbide. Well, the ones that can be are that is. :)

Jefro and Ace, thanks for the link to the PDF. Looks like a need to read item. Thanks for that!

And to everyone else, thanks much for all the info. Still digesting. :)

No matter the 550 or 650.......yer gonna need MORE primer tubes. I run a 550, can do 500 rounds per hour and that's with checking powder every 100. Still don't know why I do the powder check though, it never changes. The lifetime no bs warrantee is just that.....no matter if it's your fault, the machine's fault or an act of god, Dillon will make it right and pretty damn quick too.

You'll never look back and you'll never regret it.

Howdy Johnny, just like with the guns we use I'm gonna suggest try before you buy :huh: .....I did and I went with maroon ;) . I know everyone hollers blue, blue, blue and I tried a couple, but I prefered the maroon Hornady LNL AP. It has all the features of a 650 and then some, at the cost of a 550. No problems with the primer feed, drum feed accurate powder measure, smooth action-no spilled powder, and quick change bushings make caliber change a snap. Check out the comparison from Ace of Hearts post. Also Ultimate Reloader has some good info all the models, and he (Gavin) has a bunch of very well done youtube videos of the different machines...........Good Luck :)

http://ultimatereloader.com/

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Johnny Dollar, Before shelling out some big bucks on any press, I too would recommend sitting down for half an hour and reading this http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf It isn't intended to change anyone's mind but is intended to do away with some of the myths associated with the blue, green, maroon and red reloading presses so one can make an informed decision rather than base a buying decision on nonsense like... buy this color, nuff said".

You said it yourself, you never had issues with RCBS customer support and I have a Hornady setup and would rate their tech support as superior as would Dillon customers with Dillon support. The fact is that all of the major players have excellent support and all have good points as well as weak points with their presses.

I loaded on a Lyman Spar-T for years. I won a Dillion 650

On a raffle ticket

At a shoot a couple of years ago and I

Can't believe how fantastic it is. Buy one and you will love it

Here's the differences between the two model the 550 has four stations and is manual index the 650 has five stations and is auto indexing. If you want a powder check die and or have the machine index the brass to the next station automatically get the 650 if not go with the 550. The other main difference is the case feeder for the 650 has few problems than the one for the 550 from Dillon . Also it's easier to swap from one prime size to the other on the 550 from what I've been told.

I personally have two 550 machines one for small primer ammo and one for large primer ammo so I don't have to change out anything but the pins and the shell plate. I also have a rock chucker plus or 2 for things that need single stage reloading and brass shotgun reloading.

I have a Square Deal, 550 and 1050. All excellent reloaders, even though I don't have a 650, I have used a friends on numerous occasions. All work well. I do like the 1050 the best, costs a bunch more too. Caliber changes are the fastest on the 550, but a auto indexing press helps keep from double charging, plus you can put a powder check on the 650. As all said above, service is great, but again all major press companies have good service.

I have seen 4 pistols blown up, two when I was an RO. All were attributed to double powder charges. All used a non auto indexing 550. The lack of auto indexing on the 550 and the easy option of a powder checker on the 650 is why I use a 650.

I'd go with a square deal B. For the cost of a 550 and accessories, you can have two square deals one for each primer size. Output is directly related to operator familiarity and preparation. Having primer tubes preloaded, brass bins filled and plenty of bullets and powder handy makes all the difference.

Auto indexing is a nice feature for inexperienced progressive reloaders. Dillons also meter well with smaller powder charges. I have seen more cowboys than I'd expect with terrible reload quality and I am convinced that it is due to poor powder metering and a lack of attention to detail when trying for such a low PF.

I load only 38 Special and 44-40. Since I shoot cap and ball this loading is only for rifle.

I would hate to get into a situation where I had to run multiple presses to feed my guns.

I run an old Lee turret and get along fine. I do have turrets with dies from 32-20 to 45-40.

I would only go to a Dillon if I won it in a raffle.

My son has picked up a couple of 650s used on the internet. He then sent them to Dillon for their factory refurbishment. If the presses are not missing parts the complete overhaul is cheap and complete. If the press is missing parts you will have to pay for new parts in addition to the refurb fee. Both of the presses he got very cheap and they were old with tons of use. Dillon replaced almost all the parts except the castings to bring them up to new operation specs withing the refurb fee. He actually borrowed parts from one machine to the other to make sure the unit sent to Dillon was complete so he did not have to pay for parts. Buying these used he also got tons of extras for almost free like the case feeders, powder checkers, many sets of dies, roller handles, etc. Getting the refurb done assures that the latest version of the primer feeder, powder mechanism, case feeder, etc is installed. I have never seen a Dillon machine refurbed without at least new plastic parts througout.

We have a 550 and 650. After using the 650, the 550 does not get used much. We reload a lot of ammo having 3 shooters and the 650 with the case feeder, and the alarm system is smooth. Just keep it clean and it runs forever. The 550 is great for the 45-70. I thought it was harder to keep the cases straight for the 38-55. Have had great luck with all pistol cases as well as many rifle cases. When I think of outstanding customer service I think of Dillon!!!

Ran a 550 for 3 years that I bought new, & then added a 650 I bought used. The 650 runs about 4 times as fast for me as the 550. But, when I have a glitch, I use the 550 to quickly fix whichever shells may have been affected when the fast 650 had a hickup.

I added a powder checker (absolutely a must to avoid lean charges &/or squibs). I've tried some different dies, but the Dillons are the only way to go for me because they seem to be the slickest. I also added an Arrondondo extra small powder bar with the micronometer dial (UniqueTek) & a spent primer chute. I can't tell that the Arrondondo is any more precise or smooth, but I feel better with it on there. I think it has a range from .7 grains to 16 grains if I remember correctly.

Krazy Cajun recommended using One-Shot case lube, & it made a world of difference in speed & smoothness.

Oh, & do yourself a favor & get a handheld Frankford Arsenal handheld primer loader for $55. Saves LOTS of time over loading the individual tubes, & way less then a Dillon primer loader that costs $315.

I tried switching from caliber to caliber and my experience is the 650 is a PIA. What took 10 minutes on the 550 becomes a major event on the 650..

Pull two pins to exchange the tool head.

Different size primers? Replace primer ring and seating die.

Case feeder? Exchange two parts and a one adjustment

Less then 5 minutes once I learned the routine.

I'd go with a square deal B.

I believe the OP wanted the option to reload rifle cartridges. SD can't do rifle.

If you add the case feeder to the Dillon 550, you cannot unintentionally double charge any case except the last one.

Since the system feeds an empty case with each handle pull, there is no where for the next case to go until the shell holder plate is turned to the next station. Only the last case loaded could be double charged ( always double check that one)

I have purchased a monitor that you secure sensors that monitors the operation of the press like short stroking the lever will prevent priming and or full powder drop. It warns when you pull the handle down without indexing it. My Lee turret had auto indexing and I disabled it. Most double charges stim from light powder charges and la k of attention while reloading. If I pause in the middle of a cycle my hand stays on the handle that way I know the step wasn't comp,tee I usually reload all the cases and finish them at the end of the reloading session if it's just a pause I finish the last station and do not put a new case in the first station that way I know I need to place a new case in then go from there routines and following them are what leads to uneventful reloading. Changing your process in mid stream leads to problems. I wish it was possible to get a five station 550 that would be the best of both worlds.

Do not buy a Dillon 650

without buying the casefeeder. :P

I had this configuration for about 2 years before I bought the feeder.

It is a PITA feeding 650 by hand. :o

Anyhow I love it now. :wub:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Thanks everyone for your input! I actually found someone local with a 650 "package deal" type thing that they want to sell.... he has lots of expensive accessories that I'll never use however. I'm trying to see if he will break it up.

I believe the OP wanted the option to reload rifle cartridges. SD can't do rifle.

Matthew, I had mentioned that I only have two rifles at this point that I load for. My 45/70 and a 30/06 and will continue to use my RCBS turret for those since they are used very infrequently. That being said, I also don't want to get something that would exclude rifle from possible future use so you're right... the SD wouldn't work for me.

Archived