SASS Wire Forum

Warped Buffalo Horn grip panel?

Have one nicely figured Buffalo horn grip panel that is warped, not what I would call severe but does not fit as it should. I realize that it is a natural material. Does anyone have any experience with straightening a a warped buffalo horn grip panel? I have a couple ideas but want to see if anyone has experience.

Not specifically with revolver grips, but cow horns and horse hooves get real soft when exposed to steam. It's the same material as your fingernails, just a lot thicker.

If all else fails, put the grip panel in a steam basket or pressure cooker until it becomes flexible, then install it on the gun and wrap it tightly with something--- strips of cloth or masking tape--- to hold it in the proper shape until it cools and dries out. Maybe a day or so.

When I was a veterinary student, I made ashtrays out of horse hooves and powder horns from cow horns this way as Christmas presents. (The horse cadavers had been donated to the school for study, and I was allowed to save the hooves before final disposal.). I think buffalo horn should behave the same. But I recommend it only if more conservative methods don't work out. High temperatures can do strange things to organic materials sometimes.

Hope you can salvage the grips! I'm a sucker for stag, bone, and horn on revolvers.

Deuce report on your results. I have a couple of pairs of Eagle Buffalo horn grips that are slightly warped. Not a lot but if I could get them flatter that would be nice.

Steam may solve the problem as said earlier they will soften with heat. However, if its just a little bit I would try a hair dryer first and slow but steady pressure, in other words, no reefing on it. Under no circumstances use tape, the hot horn will cause some of the tapes glue to flow into its pores. You probably will not be happy with the result. A small strip of material preferably undyed can be used to apply pressure. Put the grip frame in a vice with the grip area free, use about 1/2 to 3/4 inch strap placed flat on the horn grip use felt or some other material to prevent scuffing the soft horn between the horn and the strap. On the back side use a dowel or other material to twist the strap to tighten it. Using the hair dryer heat the horn slowly and apply pressure gently if after about 15 min. you haven't got it done try steam but remember the glue you used in first grade was horn and hooves before it was cooked. Good luck

You might want to call Pat Grashorn & talk with him.

Apply pressure with rubber bands. Protect horn with a non absorbent material before starting.

Just a thought.. may be completely wrong on this but..

Have ya thought of just putting it flat on a piece of mild grade sandpaper on a flat surface

and ever so carefully holding pressure to sand off the warpage?

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I probably shouldn't be thinkin' this early in the mornin' :blush:

You might want to call Pat Grashorn & talk with him.

This is a good suggestion. Pat is a fine fellow and makes great grips.

Archived