SASS Wire Forum

Entry level catagories?

Chicago Ken

You'll be amazed on how far a club will bend to help a new shooter, all you have to do is ask . Only one pistol you can load on the clock or take the misses. Not a allowed type of firearm ask maybe they let you use it you just wil be shooting out off category. This is all decided at the local club (bending rules longing guns ect) . The moral of the story is the potential shooter has to get out to a club and ask how the club can help him get started .

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lent out my back up shotgun last week...

The ejectors stuck after the first two went boom!!!

Felt bad that the gun didn't work for the fella.

No big deal, fixed or fixable...

If it bothered me, I wouldn't have lent it in the first place.

I have brought this up to the TGs and this Wire. It was a discussion item at the last Summit. The Wire responders and Summit attendees overwhelmingly said no to opening the category to any SASS-legal rifle.

I am not arguing for the inclusion of the 73 in BW but these rifles would certainly have been available during the 1890's. I don't understand whey they are excluded from BW. I don't shoot BW so I don't have a dog in this fight just wondering.

I am not arguing for the inclusion of the 73 in BW but these rifles would certainly have been available during the 1890's. I don't understand whey they are excluded from BW. I don't shoot BW so I don't have a dog in this fight just wondering.

I'm guessing because the TV shows and movies, which is what BW is based on, mostly run buscadero rigs and '92's. Just my guess, I have been watching a lot of westerns of late.

I'm guessing because the TV shows and movies, which is what BW is based on, mostly run buscadero rigs and '92's. Just my guess, I have been watching a lot of westerns of late.

You are correct.

Nawlins

I lent out my back up shotgun last week...

The ejectors stuck after the first two went boom!!!

Felt bad that the gun didn't work for the fella.

No big deal, fixed or fixable...

If it bothered me, I wouldn't have lent it in the first place.

Do you mean extractors vice ejectors?

The first time I shot Cowboy I only had one handgun, an 1860 Henry rifle and my modern over/under shotgun. Some were in black powder and some were smokeless. The club I eventually joined let me shoot with what I had. I had so much fun and the people were so friendly I came back for more and joined as a life member. On a monthly local level all things are possible. BTW by the second month I had two handguns, a 73 and a SXS shotgun. All of which have been replaced with other guns.

Sorry I really haven't been able to respond to this thread, Just drove from Washington state back home and was really tired.

Allot of people in this world do NOT like to barrow equipment. I am one of those. There is a certain level of responsibility you assume when barrowing things and basically, if I can't afford to replace it, I'm not barrowing it. (That little period at the end of that statement means allot, no give in that comment.) If I can afford to replace it, I'll just buy my own then.

That's the reason people need to be allowed to shoot what they brung. IE a newbie category. To be honest, I am ok with it being local level and not SASS, but I think SASS should support it to encourage joining.

How long should a "newbie" be allowed to shoot non-approved guns? Three shoots? Ten shoots? Six months? A year? Getting SASS officially involved means some kind of rules would need to be instituted.

It's normally not a big deal at a local monthly - I shot a match today where a new shooter, an older lady, shot a 22 lever rifle, a .22 Rough Rider, a .45 (the only "legal" gun of the bunch), and a .410 Mossberg pump. She had a gunbelt with only one holster, but allowances were made to stage the other pistol and the shotgun ammo. She's got another revolver on the way, and was getting suggestions on the rifle & shotgun, as well as plenty of chances to try different guns to help in her decision. :)

Sorry I really haven't been able to respond to this thread, Just drove from Washington state back home and was really tired.

Allot of people in this world do NOT like to barrow equipment. I am one of those. There is a certain level of responsibility you assume when barrowing things and basically, if I can't afford to replace it, I'm not barrowing it. (That little period at the end of that statement means allot, no give in that comment.) If I can afford to replace it, I'll just buy my own then.

That's the reason people need to be allowed to shoot what they brung. IE a newbie category. To be honest, I am ok with it being local level and not SASS, but I think SASS should support it to encourage joining.

So you want to shoot SASS, but you want to shoot it your way. Furthermore you're too proud to borrow guns so you want SASS to (in Griff's words) pimp out the core of what makes this game special so YOU don't have to compromise your principles! Furthermore you have zero experience with SASS but you feel comfortable coming on the wire and talking about how you won't compromise but we should. You haven't considered any of the sincere and informed feedback and advice offered.

Good luck with that.

So you want to shoot SASS, but you want to shoot it your way. Furthermore you're too proud to borrow guns so you want SASS to (in Griff's words) pimp out the core of what makes this game special so YOU don't have to compromise your principles! Furthermore you have zero experience with SASS but you feel comfortable coming on the wire and talking about how you won't compromise but we should. You haven't considered any of the sincere and informed feedback and advice offered.

Good luck with that.

Oh, your that guy.. the one that doesn't read... Got it. Not going to go back over every post or my signature just for you.

Play nice Gentlemen.

Local club matches...do as you think best...follow the rules and SAFTEY FIRST.

I do not see, and hope I won't see ANYTHING but SASS legal guns and accurements at a State level or up match. Nor at annuals, for that matter.

With that, I'm done beating this dragon!😜

Almost any club would let a new shooter shoot only one pistol and assign the misses for the absent pistol: All one needs to do is ask. Keep an open mind, there is a great deal of experience and years of accommodating shooters among the group and they will help if they are allowed.

If a shooter chose that route for whatever reason instead of borrowing a pistol, (I am 100% certain that they would be offered at least one at any club I shoot at), the correct call would be 5 misses and a procedural.

If a shooter chose that route for whatever reason instead of borrowing a pistol, (I am 100% certain that they would be offered at least one at any club I shoot at), the correct call would be 5 misses and a procedural.

Hold up a second pard...

What's the P for?

I mean I kinda get it, shooter never attempted to fire a second pistol cuz they didn't have one, but.... say a feller gets up there with two, shoots the first dry and then 'attempts' to shoot the second one only to find he forgot to load it? Five misses to be sure, but no P. Most MDs I know would agree to only changing the five misses even if the P is warranted, which I'm kinda up in the air on....

Hold up a second pard...

What's the P for?

I mean I kinda get it, shooter never attempted to fire a second pistol cuz they didn't have one, but.... say a feller gets up there with two, shoots the first dry and then 'attempts' to shoot the second one only to find he forgot to load it? Five misses to be sure, but no P. Most MDs I know would agree to only changing the five misses even if the P is warranted, which I'm kinda up in the air on....

Not attempting to fire a firearm is the first thing listed under procedural in the RO1 manual. It doesn't happen often but the rule is still in place. I learned that one once when I forgot to shoot my rifle on a stage once. Nobody noticed until I got to the unloading table. 10 misses and a P....

I got the same thing with a shotgun once at a big match. I came back after lunch and neglected to load my shotgun slide. Shotgun was last and when I went to pull shells there were none to pull. 4 misses and a P.

I'm thinking in both cases you fellers picked up those guns, and in the case of the rifle levered it and pulled the trigger, what more is needed to 'attempt?'

Yes, picking it up and at least shouldering or otherwise manipulating the action would in my eyes satisfy the attempt. I did neither. just plain forgot to shoot it. :)

I didn't even attempt, all I said was bang, bang, bang, bang and went to the unload table.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 10, 2016 - insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, April 10, 2016 - insult

Oh, your that guy.. the one that doesn't read... Got it. Not going to go back over every post or my signature just for you.

Then might I suggest going back over the posts and re-read them for YOUR benefit rather than ratcheting up your tone, I think you are the one who is not reading the replies! Everyone has addressed your suggestions/ ideas/ proposals a dozen different ways but you don't seem to appreciate what anyone is saying! 30,000+ shooters are happy with the way things are so I don't think you are going to convince the head office to make changes to suit you. I would suggest... get over yourself and just enjoy shooting.

Then might I suggest going back over the posts and re-read them for YOUR benefit rather than ratcheting up your tone, I think you are the one who is not reading the replies! Everyone has addressed your suggestions/ ideas/ proposals a dozen different ways but you don't seem to appreciate what anyone is saying! 30,000+ shooters are happy with the way things are so I don't think you are going to convince the head office to make changes to suit you. I would suggest... get over yourself and just enjoy shooting.

Oh he's just mad because we all want to shoot down his drone and then remind him of the number of live shells remaining.😈

I don't believe that all 30,000 shooters are in agreement. I believe some have ideas, but are often shouted down by those who feel threatened by change. Not everyone with a good idea has a buckle...yet.

A new category for beginners that allows long term partially equipped competition bypasses the cowboy way by not encouraging folks to build relationships with each other.

The rulebook needs a rewrite at a bare minimum for clarity, SIMPLICITY and crisp definition of terms and a condensing into ONE book that everybody READS. I found out a lot of things reading RO1&2, but I didn't feel compelled to do so until a great deal of time had passed competing in the discipline and I started roaming out of my normal shooting area and started to see matches called differently than I was accustomed to. Some clubs are very tight on rules where others are much looser. Tighter is generally better. Looser has too many unsafe shooters reinforcing bad habits by getting away with warnings or no calls.

It would be great if the WTC subforum for interpretations or ROC rulings could be subsectioned and referenced by gear and equipment, shooter actions, rule definitions, etc.? Today's reality is that the shooter or TO can generally access these forums at a match. It'd be great and keep things flowing if it were readily referencable.

Howdy Chicago Ken,

Hope you get out to local clubs and enjoy CAS. I have the same mindset about borrowing. If I can't afford to replace it, I don't borrow it. By the way, I once had to replace an extension ladder bent very badly while trimming a large tree (just glad I wasn't standing on the ladder when a large limb fell on it.)

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS It took me three months to gather firearms.

Actually, borrowing guns is a great way to find out what you like and what works and doesn't work for you. So many new shooters rush out and buy something and, after a few shoots, discover that it was the wrong gun. I know, I was one of them.

Actually, borrowing guns is a great way to find out what you like and what works and doesn't work for you. So many new shooters rush out and buy something and, after a few shoots, discover that it was the wrong gun. I know, I was one of them.

me too!

I should've done more borrowing and less buying in the very beginning, but; on the other hand, I do have more guns now than I would have otherwise. No regrets :P

Well,

Hell, most of us are still "Gathering". ​You have a point there Boon Doggle. However, since retiring the gathering has almost stopped.

​However, I still have my original Baikal SxS and Rossi '92 (used by wife). Did trade my Vaqueros for a pair of Model P Jr's for the wife.

It's darn hard to let go of a firearm(s) once it follows you home and resides in the safe.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

I don't intend this as mean, but the fact is not everyone can afford this game/hobby/sport/lifestyle. If you can't afford the guns, you probably can't afford the ammo either. It's just the way life is and I don't think we should apologize for that.

Same as being able to do it physically; some can and some can't. I have good friends who had to give up shooting when their health make it unsafe or impractical. I hated to see them go and even though we did all we could to help them, they knew it was time.

We are as accommodating as can be, but if we can't keep it cowboy action shooting, we will shut 'er down and do something else.

Ya can't run cushman scooter in motocross either .... Possum for President !

Well,

Hell, most of us are still "Gathering". ​You have a point there Boon Doggle. However, since retiring the gathering has almost stopped.

​However, I still have my original Baikal SxS and Rossi '92 (used by wife). Did trade my Vaqueros for a pair of Model P Jr's for the wife.

It's darn hard to let go of a firearm(s) once it follows you home and resides in the safe.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Same here.

Arminius .44mag

Winchester 1894 AE "Trapper" .44mag

Rossi 12ga coach gun (literally shot to pieces over the first 8 years)

Only one procured specifically for CAS (after 1st match) was the shotgun.

Plenty of backups/replacements now in various calibers...some being used as "loaners" for new shooters (and a few for friends who might have other financial priorities)

I don't intend this as mean, but the fact is not everyone can afford this game/hobby/sport/lifestyle. If you can't afford the guns, you probably can't afford the ammo either. It's just the way life is and I don't think we should apologize for that.

Same as being able to do it physically; some can and some can't. I have good friends who had to give up shooting when their health make it unsafe or impractical. I hated to see them go and even though we did all we could to help them, they knew it was time.

We are as accommodating as can be, but if we can't keep it cowboy action shooting, we will shut 'er down and do something else.

What Possum said. I'll add this- When it comes to a generous offer of being able to use another cowboy's guns, (short of throwing it down range or slamming it down over a barrel) not one person I can think of would expect you to fix it if in the case of a break. There is healthy pride and there is pride that is definitely NOT healthy...

When I was a new shooter I regularly shared another fellow's 1894 Marlin. At one match it suddenly stopped firing; the owner quickly diagnosed a broken firing pin.

I felt responsible and offered to pay for the repair. The owner refused saying, "You didn't break it, it just happened to break while you were shooting it!"

I've had some new folks express reluctance to shoot my guns. I tell them, "you're doing me a favor by helping break them in."

Sharing is part of the game. Even if everyone has all of their gear, we (hopefully) share the work necessary to put on the match. We share tips and suggestions. Lone wolves who want to show up, pay an entry fee, shoot and go home are missing out.

Archived