SASS Wire Forum

Entry level catagories?

Chicago Ken

After reading the new steam punk catagory I was thinking that designing an entry level catagory could be beneficial to SASS. Design it so that modern guns can get used and entry into the game is as low as possible. But make it so the prizing encourages advancement into more traditional catagories.

Now this is just an idea and I am sure there are many other ideas that could be explored.

Modern Cowboy, can use any single action revolver from 22 to 45. any low power lever rifle, any shotgun. The Scenario so that only 1 revolver is required. Attire can be Jeans, any cowboy boots, western style shirt and cowboy style hat. Single holster.

Like I said, this is just an idea and others should be entertained.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get's proposed about once every moon cycle it seems.

I'm with PWB: no thanks.

Truth is, if a new shooter doesn't have the hardware to shoot a match, there will be cowboys coming out of the woodwork to loan them what they are short.

Say we've got a hot air balloon Society set up. Well, we just ought to have a Cessna category because more new wanna-be members probably have a Cessna, not a hot air balloon.

Just say no.

Now, what works better, in my experience, is to have new-shooter days. Get four of your club members together, invite folks to come out to try Cowboy shooting. Plaster all the gun shops and shooting ranges with posters about it. Provide all the guns and ammo. Take donations to the club if the new folks insist on paying for something. Teach the basics of safety and the Cowboy game.

Folks without an introduction to the game almost certainly will not have even one suitable gun for the sport to make a "minimal cowboy" category anything but a train wreck and a disappointing activity for the first timer. Make the first timer SUCCESSFUL with a complete set of guns in a low-pressure environment. Then they can really decide if they like this game and it's equipment requirements.

If you don't do new-shooter clinics, then at least have some spare guns and ammo (even leather) at monthlies. Walk new shooters through the game. They don't have to bring anything but a good attitude and don't have to pay anything but attention to instruction. Put a grin on their face. They'll sometimes be back.

Good luck, GJ

Add me to the no thank you category. SASS and CAS has the most "let me help you" mentality of any game I have ever played. I am one of thousands who will gladly bring extra guns, ammo, leather and even carts to get a shooter going. I guess I can't see changing a game just for the off chance that someone might like it. There are plenty of selling points there already.

Ken, As stated above, This is something that gets brought up on a regular basis by new to the game shooters. Yes, sometimes new shooters don't have the money to get everything that want right away, but there is always someone willing to lend you what you need to hold you over until you can get what you need. The game is what it is. Some clubs have a "working cowboy" category with only one pistol. Check the auction sites, talk to local gun stores, friends, and even co-workers. I got two rifles from co-workers that had them and never used them.

Add me to the no thank you category. SASS and CAS has the most "let me help you" mentality of any game I have ever played. I am one of thousands who will gladly bring extra guns, ammo, leather and even carts to get a shooter going. I guess I can't see changing a game just for the off chance that someone might like it. There are plenty of selling points there already.

+1

As said above. Comes up every few months.

And again. For SASS official category. NO THANKS.

But having said that. Many local clubs offer category's on the local level only

that are set up to help a new shooter get started.

And the local level is where is should stay.

If you want to shoot modern guns. There are other games for that.

Back in the mid 90's when I first discovered cowboy action shooting, the Club in Orlando would permit new shooters to use more modern guns when first starting. You could use a DA revolver but had to shoot it single action. Back then most of the stages only required one pistol. Sometimes we'd stage a second pistol.. Rifles had to be pistol caliber lever guns. You could use any pump or double. It was also required that you make an effort to dress cowboy, jeans, long sleeved shirt, hat and boots. Actually that meets minimum SASS standards now.

As I recall, you could only shoot thee matches this way. After that you had to use approved gear.

I don't know how many people shot their first match using my guns. Probably a couple dozen. Many people want to use their own stuff though. I'd say on the club level, let folks try out the sport with as much of their own equipment as would reasonably work and loan them the rest. If it were up to me, I'd even permit .22's for the first match or two!

Don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that SASS adopt this as a category. I think it would be a good tool on the CLUB LEVEL to introduce new people into the sport.

No offence to all of you wise folks but SASS isn't getting younger. I would be courious if there are any statistics of the average age of membership tracked yearly. From this new guys perspective, there are allot of older retired folks who enjoy this sport but orginizations need to change in order to grow. Draw new members in. Besides, If it gets brought up that often, don't you think that it should be considered more?

I also find, that orginizations need an influx of fresh ideas even if they are old ideas they should merit reconsideration based off demand.

By just saying, NO, or refusing tends to close the door on new members willing to speak up and explore ideas. If you want to alienate new membership then by all means continue down this path.

My wife and I are "only" 50 but the few matches and winter range we saw that we are much younger than the majority of players. It really makes me concerned about the future of this sport I have just begun to enjoy.

Truth is 3 gun is a place where I see the younger crowd shoot, there they can shoot an AR15, shotgun and 9mm. Do you try to draw people into this sport or just tell them go shoot 3 gun?

People shoot 3gun for a lot of reasons other than the number of guns involved, Chicago Ken. Modern guns are all the rage, right now in movies, video games and in daily use. Most of those shooters never grew up watching westerns and wanting to be a cowboy. A lot of those shooters want to be proficient with their every day carry guns and their home protection guns. No better way than to compete with them. They also see the big payouts at the big shoots like 3 Gun Nation. Not suggesting SASS goes to anything like that but it is a draw to some folks.

Hi Ken,

Age based categories are pretty wide open. Most people have non-outlawed clothing items in their wardrobes. Heck, cowboy boots and hats aren't even a requirement.

About .22s and .410 SGs, only junior shooters are allowed to use them. If you want to shoot Modern guns, you can shoot 1911s and Model 12 SG in WBAS,

More categories is not a popular topic. It took many years to get Frontier Cartridge (BP) Gunfighter approved. Then, it was because it was tried out and supported locally in many locations. In Oregon, IIRC, it was more popular than plain GF.

Some clubs, at their prerogative, offer beginners a "shoot what you have" option for monthly matches. We have one in my area. They have chosen to not be a SASS affiliate. Many of their rules are stricter than SASS' in other areas.

The bottom line to categories is try it locally and get widespread support in other localities. Bringing it up here is a good way to "test the waters."

Regards,

Allie

PS There is no official "new Steampunk" category. Nor is there an "Outlaw" (shooting from the hip) category. They are unofficial and are "testing the waters" in some areas. Steampunk clothing can be worn at any time in almost any category as long as it meets the category requirements (B-Western and Classic Cowboy) and does not contain "outlawed items."

After reading the new steam punk catagory I was thinking that designing an entry level catagory could be beneficial to SASS. Design it so that modern guns can get used and entry into the game is as low as possible. But make it so the prizing encourages advancement into more traditional catagories.

Now this is just an idea and I am sure there are many other ideas that could be explored.

Modern Cowboy, can use any single action revolver from 22 to 45. any low power lever rifle, any shotgun. The Scenario so that only 1 revolver is required. Attire can be Jeans, any cowboy boots, western style shirt and cowboy style hat. Single holster.

Don't take it the wrong way Ken. You're idea isn't being dismissed without due consideration, it's just it's been considered and discussed before. Please consider that more experienced shooters may have a longer perspective and clearer understanding of the implications of your suggestion. Nobody wants to run you off, or discourage your desire to contribute.

For example consider the logistics of introducing a category that requires every stage be designed not only to accommodate the shooting categories we currently have, but also to accommodate a single pistol. You've potentially just doubled the stage writers work as well as impacting the work of the setup and tear down crews for every single match that will include that new category. How about scoring, currently all categories go into the overall standings, yours wouldn't be able to since it would shoot five less rounds per stage. So a software rewrite plus our scorekeepers and tabulators now have substantially more work.

All to save a new shooter $400-$650 of their startup costs.

The caliber suggestions introduce similar issues as does introducing the option for any shotguns. Now you end up with a bunch of different shooters who are essentially shooting different stages and will have to all be ranked separately. This significantly increases the difficulty of putting on a match, again for minimal increases in convenience for new shooters.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'prizing' there are no prizes that I'm aware of only plaques and poker chips, certificates, stuff like that.

Bill just reminded me. SASS discourages "prizes" for shooting. The following is from the Match Administration handbook.

"The recommendations are simple: prizes are awarded by some form of random drawing. Competitors are rewarded for participating, not how well they shoot. It is recommended the winners be given no more than a plaque or trophy – this is the best way to ensure COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING™ remains a fun, amateur sport for the whole family."

No offence to all of you wise folks but SASS isn't getting younger. I would be courious if there are any statistics of the average age of membership tracked yearly. From this new guys perspective, there are allot of older retired folks who enjoy this sport but orginizations need to change in order to grow. Draw new members in. Besides, If it gets brought up that often, don't you think that it should be considered more?

I also find, that orginizations need an influx of fresh ideas even if they are old ideas they should merit reconsideration based off demand.

By just saying, NO, or refusing tends to close the door on new members willing to speak up and explore ideas. If you want to alienate new membership then by all means continue down this path.

My wife and I are "only" 50 but the few matches and winter range we saw that we are much younger than the majority of players. It really makes me concerned about the future of this sport I have just begun to enjoy.

Truth is 3 gun is a place where I see the younger crowd shoot, there they can shoot an AR15, shotgun and 9mm. Do you try to draw people into this sport or just tell them go shoot 3 gun?

As has been said, I don't think anyone wants to discourage new ideas from new (and welcome aboard!) members. However, keep in mind that an idea that might be new to YOU isn't necessarily new to SASS.

the idea of a "newcomer" category has been discussed ad-nauseum and determined to not be practical, feasible or work towards the betterment of the sport. It's not a new idea.

Misty Moonshine was kind enough to publish some statistics about SASS membership, I think they're pinned to the top of the forum.

CAS may never compete, membership wise, with the 3-gun crowd. Then again, I'm not sure we're trying to either. Cowboy action is a different kind of shooting sport. it's not about the prizes or accolades. It's about spending time on the range shooting with FUN guns, and FUN people. The age range might skew towards a senior crowd, but there are new shooters coming in at every age range. Our local club alone has about a dozen shooters under 21. There are more coming all the time.

Come for the shooting, stay for the people.

Say we've got a hot air balloon Society set up. Well, we just ought to have a Cessna category because more new wanna-be members probably have a Cessna, not a hot air balloon.

Just say no.

Now, what works better, in my experience, is to have new-shooter days. Get four of your club members together, invite folks to come out to try Cowboy shooting. Plaster all the gun shops and shooting ranges with posters about it. Provide all the guns and ammo. Take donations to the club if the new folks insist on paying for something. Teach the basics of safety and the Cowboy game.

Folks without an introduction to the game almost certainly will not have even one suitable gun for the sport to make a "minimal cowboy" category anything but a train wreck and a disappointing activity for the first timer. Make the first timer SUCCESSFUL with a complete set of guns in a low-pressure environment. Then they can really decide if they like this game and it's equipment requirements.

If you don't do new-shooter clinics, then at least have some spare guns and ammo (even leather) at monthlies. Walk new shooters through the game. They don't have to bring anything but a good attitude and don't have to pay anything but attention to instruction. Put a grin on their face. They'll sometimes be back.

Good luck, GJ

I really like this idea, I always have my backups at the match with more than enough ammo to shoot the match twice. Always happy to let others shoot my rifles and shotguns, I'm very proud of them. I wouldn't loan my match pistols because of the light trigger pulls and no transfer bars but I do have others I would loan out that are as safe as they come new. Leather is not a problem either, my first holster belt was an electricians tool belt and one size fits almost anybody.

Ken - as others have said, this idea, and others have come up and have been discussed before.

The way new categories official or un-official get started is at the local club level. Some garner enough interest that they stick as un-official categories, such as steam punk and outlaw, most do not.

All of the local clubs I've ever shot at will bend over backwards at monthly shoots to welcome new or perspective shooters. When I started I didn't have any of the needed guns, but local cowboys let me use theirs for what I didn't yet have.

In my eyes CAS is one of those things that you either love, or you don't. If you love it you'll find a way to get the guns you need fairly quickly. If you don't, well I think most would rather find another shooting opportunity rather than go shoot cowboy matches with non standard guns for the sport.

At the local level we had a lengthy discussion about having a number of unofficial categories at monthlies to try and get more folks interested. I even drafted guidelines for a number of them, one pistol categories, some that allowed any pump shotgun, one even allowing double action revolvers to be shot only single action. There were concerns that some might come out and never progress past those categories. There was opposition from those who felt allowing those things would diminish the old west feel. Scoring became an issue as well since all would not longer be 'shooting the same match.' And probably a whole bunch of other concerns and issues I don't recall right now.

In the end our local club decided it wasn't something we wanted to do. We decided to continue as we have been, only with a desire to put together a club stash of extra leather and such to loan to newbies. Most of our long time members typically bring extra leather, ammo, and such anyway and are more than happy to loan them out for a match. We also bend over backwards at monthlies to allow new folks to play our game with us, but specific calls on what will be allowed is done on a case by case basis by the match director, rather than a formal policy.

I hope that provides some insight.

Grizz

I always consider Cowboy and Cowgirl catagories as 'entry level'.

Our game shoots what we shoot, it is the name of the game.

Wild Bunch shoots its game.

IP's shoot their game.

.22 Rimfire shoots its game.

Clays and Five Stands shoot their game.

I enjoy the Cowboy we shoot...did not go broke getting guns, leather, ammo or costuming...

Took years to get where we are today, but didn't stop us from shooting in the beginning.

And I am 53 yrs old.... most of the folks we shoot with are within 10 years of me...that is from all over the world.

I would say, being we have many in their 70's and 80's...God willing...we have another 30 years to enjoy this sport!

We also share our 'fodder' with others...

I am always interested in welcoming new shooters and growing the sport. Here are my thoughts on the OP's proposal.

The "modern pistol" you mentioned, in .32 caliber or greater, is legal in most categories.

The costuming requirements you listed actually exceed what current rules require.

Under the current rules a shooter could compete with less than the four guns around which our stages are written. There would be penalties for rounds not fired but it is legal. Not much of a different result from creating a separate category for scoring.

If the shooter has a rifle, shotgun and a single revolver there is the option, again under current rules, to reload the revolver on the clock. Ideal? No but it is an alternative to trying to get rules changed or to having a local club create an unofficial category.

We have a club in my area that established a "Greenhorn" category to let new folks compete with what they have. To my knowledge no one has taken advantage of it, probably because when new folks show up, the other shooters practically knock them over with "loaners".

Allowing the use of modern guns (and the ammo they use) can present administrative and safety issues since our rules and training of range officers is focused on the Old West guns.

There are reasons behind what you may perceive as a refusal to listen to input. Don't take it as an indication that you are not welcome, because you certainly are.

I really like this idea, I always have my backups at the match with more than enough ammo to shoot the match twice. Always happy to let others shoot my rifles and shotguns, I'm very proud of them. I wouldn't loan my match pistols because of the light trigger pulls and no transfer bars but I do have others I would loan out that are as safe as they come new. Leather is not a problem either, my first holster belt was an electricians tool belt and one size fits almost anybody.

He does enjoy sharing his guns and is very happy to do so. He even lets you beat him with his own gun. Hahaha....on the rare occasion Mr. Speedy isn't flawless.

I agree that this is the way to do this, but you have to have folks that want to load up double the ammo for a match on the chance a person will show up wanting to shoot. I generally carry a spare set to important matches, because things can break and I don't mind sharing. I think that a noob category is unnecessary. What I think folks should do is watch a match and have a mentor on their second match if they have no previous competitive shooting experience or come from idpa. If they have previous shooting experience in 3 gun or USPSA or ICORE they have the familiarity with firearms and demonstrated firearm safety to make it through a match.

For sass as a whole no way. For a local club monthly shoot it makes since as long as it is emphasized that it is only allowed for that club for a short period of time for newbies and not legal at most clubs.

When I was able to secure what at that time were backup guns I carried them to almost every shoot with ammo for them. I was a leather maker at the time and had spare leather. The belt was the measuring belt I made for building boscadero belts. The holsters varied depending on what I had on hand as many that used them bought them. After a while I got backups in the caliber I was shooting and sold the others to buy like guns. It wasn't until I had my accident that I quit carrying backups since my main guns had never gave me a problem. Matter of fact last two EOTs I didn't carry any thing that wasn't a main match gun or being worked on. Last EOT I took two revolvers one rifle and one shotgun only other gun was my carry gun. I was staying in a motel room and didn't a want to leave my guns in the vehicle at night or in the room during the day or move them in and out everyday. This year I'll have my Motorhome and enclosed trailer so I might load them up with what I'll need for all event in case I decide to play. So I'll have plenty of firearms if someone's break. All mine are smithed by the best in our game Lassiter, Johnny meadows, west Fargo, and lone hunter for cowboy. I'll have to find my 1911 I use in wbas if I want to play their side matches with a 1911. I may bring a 1897 to sell since I have two and that let me invest in a model 12 if I find one I. Like. All the rest are ready to go except for the revolvers I'll be picking up from Lassiter.

PS There is no official "new Steampunk" category.

Nor is there an "Outlaw" (shooting from the hip) category.

They are unofficial and are "testing the waters" in some areas. Steampunk clothing can be worn at any time in almost any category as long as it meets the category requirements (B-Western and Classic Cowboy) and does not contain "outlawed items."

STOP THE PRESSES

Miss Allie recognizes Outlaw as an unofficial category.

Pretty sure that means we need to rob a bank or something to get ourselves even MO recognized. (pun intended)

Waimea

He does enjoy sharing his guns and is very happy to do so. He even lets you beat him with his own gun. Hahaha....on the rare occasion Mr. Speedy isn't flawless.

I agree that this is the way to do this, but you have to have folks that want to load up double the ammo for a match on the chance a person will show up wanting to shoot. I generally carry a spare set to important matches, because things can break and I don't mind sharing. I think that a noob category is unnecessary. What I think folks should do is watch a match and have a mentor on their second match if they have no previous competitive shooting experience or come from idpa. If they have previous shooting experience in 3 gun or USPSA or ICORE they have the familiarity with firearms and demonstrated firearm safety to make it through a match.

Oh, I didn't LET you do anything, I just figured you were trying to be helpful and show me how it looks when done correctly :huh:

The main reason I carry more than double the ammo I need is that if I do loan someone a gun I insist they shoot my ammo also. Not just for safety reasons but also because I know my ammo will work in my guns and if they aim properly, the bullets will go where they expect them to. I wouldn't want someone to borrow my gun and then get up there on the clock and have a train wreck.

As for 'special' considerations for newbies, I don't think so, they should begin playing the game the way it's played and they'll either enjoy it for what it is or won't. If they want to play and don't have the correct equipment yet, we'll help them along. Actually it is better for a newbie to take some time and borrow some different types of guns and gear to find out what suits them best. Otherwise they'll end up like me with a bunch of guns that don't get out to play anymore :(

I shoot disciplines that attract younger shooters that have wide open rules and categories. They are really fun. Often, they are also an equipment race. Five thousand dollar race guns (for one gun!!) are not uncommon. These are very different games from CAS.

I like these games because I am surrounded by younger shooters. They give me a better perspective on the modern world.

CAS, as has been said many times, is an aging sport. I like hanging out with the old farts as much as I like hanging with the kids. We share experiences that the younger set will not understand until long after I am gone.

CAS is about the commaraderie. Categories to me are secondary.

Oh, I didn't LET you do anything, I just figured you were trying to be helpful and show me how it looks when done correctly :huh:

The main reason I carry more than double the ammo I need is that if I do loan someone a gun I insist they shoot my ammo also. Not just for safety reasons but also because I know my ammo will work in my guns and if they aim properly, the bullets will go where they expect them to. I wouldn't want someone to borrow my gun and then get up there on the clock and have a train wreck.

As for 'special' considerations for newbies, I don't think so, they should begin playing the game the way it's played and they'll either enjoy it for what it is or won't. If they want to play and don't have the correct equipment yet, we'll help them along. Actually it is better for a newbie to take some time and borrow some different types of guns and gear to find out what suits them best. Otherwise they'll end up like me with a bunch of guns that don't get out to play anymore :(

How to run an '87 from a guy who has done it once and it worked: Load it like an M1 Garand without the click. Close lever. Pull trigger. Open lever. Repeat as needed.

I recently learned that a Codymatic can be made to not run. After I told him how to gauge the case length I am convinced that he enjoys deliberately delaying the match. First it was a Henry Big Boy, then the extra long ammo. What will he think of next?

You won't sell the '87...or the 18" Codymatic...your gun overflow is your own problem! All this coming from the Vaquero mogul!

I wish people would be bluntly honest about equipment to newbies(in pairs so that someone doesn't pawn off a bad gun on them). Hehe

For real, I think we'd all appreciate it if folks would stop positive recommendations of the big boy as a main match rifle. Pop, pop, chicka, chicka, shuck shuck, click is nice tune, but you can't dance to it for six stages. Sometimes not even one.

Here would be the typical lineup at the loading table at a monthly match in a few years since all the cowboy shooters have gotten fed up with the nonsense and started their own COWBOY groups!

Personally I don't see this as beneficial to a COWBOY shooting organization at all. Give me some dusty ole cowboys and cowgirls to shoot with over these "look at me" characters! :o

072326_Group-of-Steampunk-People5.jpg

Yours is not a fresh idea.

I don't think anyone is sayin' "no", to ideas or suggestions. This one has been bounced around for at least the 30 years I've enjoyed this sport. It's called the Single Action Shooting Society" for a very good reason. We shoot Single Actions. It ain't the "Shoot What Ya Brung Crowd", or some other variation. I started when I was 35, working full time, going to school and doing volunteer work. Took about 6 months, but then the wife & kid wanted to shoot... took quite some time to acquire the guns and gear for them to do so. No one bent the rules for any of us that struggled to play. Doing so would diminish the sport. IMO, it's an act of desperation. What would the response be from the NRA if you asked to be allowed to shoot Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette with your BOLT rifle?

Yes, the "boomers" are dying off. But, there are still folks out there that are a "young" 70 or 75 and are just finding out about SASS... and want to play. Just as there are younger folks that are also just now finding SASS and want to play.

I recently learned that a Codymatic can be made to not run. After I told him how to gauge the case length I am convinced that he enjoys deliberately delaying the match. First it was a Henry Big Boy, then the extra long ammo. What will he think of next?

You're referring to the new shooter that's come out to a couple of matches and experienced a plethora of problems.

Well there is an important point to be made here:

We would all like to get more folks to come out and play with us and most of us have plenty of extra guns and gear to share to help get them started.

The most important thing we have to share with them is our time and our patience while they get this figured out.

When I came to this game, I was a virtual blank slate; never owned a long gun of any kind and only had any real experience with semi-autos.

Very fortunate for me was a kind and generous 'old' retired football coach named Flatboat Bob who took me on as a project and showed me how to get started properly. I put 'old' in quotes because after you watch this cattle baron shooter go through a few stages it will cause you to redefine what you think of as 'old'. If hanging out with SASS folks has taught me anything, it's that there are some people that are old but; there are many others that just aren't young anymore.

Flatboat has told me that I was easier to teach since I did not have to "unlearn what I had learned".

I sure love the look of pride he has every time I shoot a pop up. That poor guy got lots of exercise jogging down range to reload the launcher so I could "Try it again", "Keep your head down", "Don't get ahead of it", "Cover the bird", "Squeeze the trigger". My God that guy has the patience of Job! Thank you Flatboat!!! Oh and my favorite is when the pop up is not last. "Don't just stand there admiring it, MOVE!"

You won't sell the '87...or the 18" Codymatic...your gun overflow is your own problem!

Now there's a problem I can live with... Just a little sad for some of them, They must feel like Woody when Andy got a Buzz Lightyear :(

Archived