SASS Wire Forum

Loading .45 cowboy specials (dies, etc)

Ripsaw

Just pondering in print. It's always an anguishing decision of what direction to go. I already had a 450 and then added the 550B. I load the C45S and 44 Special with same charge of same powder so it's just lift off one powder die and set on the other. The 450 has its measure and only loads 38s. We're doing about the same thing. I just started down a different path.

Well ...... I'm lazy. And quite lucky. My Sweetheart is VERY understanding. I was bemoaning my lot at having to changeover from Large Primer setup on my 650, to Small Primer and vise versey. Without looking up from her book, she said "Oh quit whining. Just buy another press and be done with it." Didn't have to tell me twice.

So I have two 650s sitting side-by-each on the loading bench. Separate tool head and dies for each cartridge I load and each tool head has it's own powder measure. Very simple and very fast. I know it's a tough position to be in, but

someone has to be there, so let it be ME :)

Coffinmaker

RCBS makes a 45 ACP roll crimp/seater die. I ordered one from Midway when I started loading C45S. Came up with a good load with Trail Boss and a 170 grain bullet that was almost as tame as my .38 mouse fart loads.

Just pondering in print. It's always an anguishing decision of what direction to go. I already had a 450 and then added the 550B. I load the C45S and 44 Special with same charge of same powder so it's just lift off one powder die and set on the other. The 450 has its measure and only loads 38s. We're doing about the same thing. I just started down a different path.

Sounds like a good solution. If you leave one set up for Large primers and the other for small primers, you're pretty close. Plus you have the flexibility to load rifle cartridges on a progressive. Right now, all my rifle is done on the Rockchucker.

RCBS makes a 45 ACP roll crimp/seater die. I ordered one from Midway when I started loading C45S. Came up with a good load with Trail Boss and a 170 grain bullet that was almost as tame as my .38 mouse fart loads.

now you can set you sights for a 32 cal flea fart load. :)

now you can set you sights for a 32 cal flea fart load. :)

I shot some 42" poppers with the pistols with light loads. Some were hit and they did not fall. I do not like this. Shooting the tall poppers makes me feel like a real gunslinger so I gotta have that ability. Sorry mousefart loads, you're getting in the way of my fun.

That was my situation... I had one 550, and then ran across a deal on a 2nd, like new 550 that only had the small primer set up. I already had multiple tool heads and an extra powder measure. It was kinda regulated to sittin' around a lot... as I seldom shoot (& therefor need to reload), .38Spl. until my son bought a 40S&W for his 3-gun game.

Archived