SASS Wire Forum

Whats the Call

Hurricane Deck 100366

The ROC is working on a clearly stated rule on this following discussions at Winter Range.

The "working statement" at this time is the following:

This could be applied regardless of holster type, but would require that the T/O be actually LOOKING AT THE FIREARM as we already instruct them to do. Application would be based on a judgment call, but would be initiated as soon as the shooter pulls the muzzle(s) off the target array, indicated that s/he is finished with the engagement.

Is the following a correct interpretation?

In the past, I have seen a shooter given the opportunity to fix this by pointing the gun down range and pulling the trigger or decocking, if the TO instructs them that it will be allowed, as long as the shooter never released the gun into the holster. With the clarification, the shooter would not be allowed to correct the situation at all once the barrel position moves toward the holster.
Thanks,
Allie

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ROC is working on a clearly stated rule on this following discussions at Winter Range.

The "working statement" at this time is the following:

This could be applied regardless of holster type, but would require that the T/O be actually LOOKING AT THE FIREARM as we already instruct them to do. Application would be based on a judgment call, but would be initiated as soon as the shooter pulls the muzzle(s) off the target array, indicated that s/he is finished with the engagement.

As the shooter is not allowed to cock the revolver before it is 45 degrees downrange, at what point will the unsafe handling SDQ be awarded? I'm hoping it will be the same as drawing the revolver, the 45 degree mark. Otherwise, there will be a big can of angry worms opened and "well, it was his friend (or he's in my category) is why I got that penalty).

I wish the ROC the best on hammering this one out.

Another thought. If the revolver is not considered "in hand" until the muzzle clears the mouth of the holster or contact with the prop SASS ROI Page 31 "Revolver in hand – when the muzzle of the revolver clears the mouth of the holster, or breaks contact with a prop upon which it was staged."

The penalty should not be assessed until the gun is "out of hand" by the muzzle being inside the mouth of the holster or back in contact with a prop upon which it was staged.

Another thought. If the revolver is not considered "in hand" until the muzzle clears the mouth of the holster or contact with the prop SASS ROI Page 31 "Revolver in hand – when the muzzle of the revolver clears the mouth of the holster, or breaks contact with a prop upon which it was staged."

The penalty should not be assessed until the gun is "out of hand" by the muzzle being inside the mouth of the holster or back in contact with a prop upon which it was staged.

We considered that, but also considered that a COCKED revolver (condition unknown...ie loaded? or not?) pointed anywhere other than DOWNRANGE @ TARGETS during the stage, is a potentially hazardous situation...even if the shooter still has it "in hand".

I didn't get it either and asked about it many moons ago. The experienced GFs spoke the most stridently against the practice. Maybe some of them will answer.

All I remember was they were worried about holstering a cocked gun. Seems to me there is already a penalty for that and this prohibition is a bit like the old rule (now deleted) about picking up dropped rounds. The majority decided the penalty for breaking the 170 or having a pistol fall out of the holster was sufficient and we didn't need to penalize something that wasn't inherently unsafe.

In this case we are trying to prevent something (holstering a cocked gun) that might not happen.

:ph34r:

+1

Archived