SASS Wire Forum

Clay dot powder

MBFields

Changing from titegroup to clay dot. Wondering what should load clay dot at? Shooting 38 spl 125 grains. Pm me if you would.Thanks.

Remember that Alliant does not recommend Clay Dot (at least yet) for use in cartridge loads.

But, I've personally loaded it in cowboy 38 spl loads for several years and never seen a problem. I'll PM you one that I loaded a lot of and never had a problem under a 125 grain bullet.

Good luck, GJ

Is the reloading data the same for Clay Dot as is for Clays?

By weight for shot shells per the manufacturer.

I was considering Clay Dot, but changed to Extra Lite. No results yet, but have high hopes for a good 7/8 Oz 12ga load.it is suppose to be a little more bulky, which is what I was looking for.

My testing indicated that Clay Dot and Clays do not load the same even by weight. I found Clay Dot more energetic than Clays at the same charge weight. You should do some careful testing over a chrono to find a load that works for you.

There have been several threads here about Clay Dot. Do a search. The manufacturer says "Not for use in metallic cartridges", however....I have used it for some time & found it works fine. I do think there are much better powders out there as the biggest problem I have with Clay Dot is that it does not meter well in small quantities like you would use in a .38 spl cowboy round.

I just bought some Clean Shot, loaded some rounds & fired them today. Meters very well, excellent in fact & created a nice light cowboy round. It appears to be readily available. I bought a # at the Ides of March & will buy a larger quantity.

There have been several threads here about Clay Dot. Do a search. The manufacturer says "Not for use in metallic cartridges", however....I have used it for some time & found it works fine. I do think there are much better powders out there as the biggest problem I have with Clay Dot is that it does not meter well in small quantities like you would use in a .38 spl cowboy round.

I just bought some Clean Shot, loaded some rounds & fired them today. Meters very well, excellent in fact & created a nice light cowboy round. It appears to be readily available. I bought a # at the Ides of March & will buy a larger quantity.

Have you used Titegroup? If so, how would you compare it to the Clean Shot?

Snakebite

the biggest problem I have with Clay Dot is that it does not meter well in small quantities like you would use in a .38 spl cowboy round

And I have NOT found Clay Dot to meter poorly. Now, 700-X, that meters poorly. I've not seen a variation of more than 0.1 grain from a small bar in a Dillon measure dropping light .38 spl loads with Clay Dot.

YMMV, but don't automatically dismiss an excellent powder because of what may have been problems with one powder measure or loading technique.

My testing indicated that Clay Dot and Clays do not load the same by weight. I found Clay Dot more energetic than Clays at the same charge weight.

And I found that weight difference to be pretty small - less than a 10% variance, when I tested the two powders side-by-side. At the pressures we shoot cowboy loads, it's not enough to worry about. Now, would I blindly go to published high end loads for Clays and toss CD at the same weight? Nope, but then again, that is not what we're talking about. Load carefully, do proper load development and pressure sign reading, and one can have good results.

Good luck, GJ

Nope. WST for .45 Auto. Like tons of "other action sports" shooters, I like how it burns clean, meters very accurately, and gives a light recoil impulse.

And, when I settle on a powder for .45 Colt, that too may be WST. Now that WST looks available at least until the next election. :o:lol:

But for now, I shoot a lot of 700-X. Because I haven't seen the availability of Clay Dot (or Clays) be good enough to work up loads with it for about the last 3 years....) If I can't count on buying it, I don't mess with working up loads with it. I do have some five year old loads I made with Clay Dot for .45 Colt. They were pretty good if I remember right. If you want that data, PM me.

Clay Dot was exceptional in light .38 special loads, though, IMHO, and light 12 gauge loads. Better than anything else, including Clays (because (Australian) Clays WAS cold-weak in light loads).

Good luck, GJ

My powder measure is a little sensitive with really light loads, so the loads were not reliable with Clays or Clay-dot with anything too much below 1/2 of the recommended load for 125 grain bullets. (I had to go 0.2 or 0.3 grains above the min loads.) But I didn't even like the really load loads even when they worked.

With titegroup, it takes very little volume. And it was not at all consistent for any lighter loads.I had to have relatively louder, snappy loads with it. SO I use TG for 9mm, etc where higher pressures are needed.

I have not tried Clean Shot.

I use them intchangably in 12 ga, and 45 LC. Clay Dot is my go to powder for pistol, rifle and shot gun and it uses a little less than the other powders.

I have used Clays and Clay Dot for well over 6 years, and find it to perform quite well. For me at least, it meters very well in my Dillon. I use it exclusively in 38/357 as well as 45 LC, and also for 12 ga. low velocity/low recoil loads. Can't find a thing not to like about either powder. I use the same loads, (by weight), with either powder.

RBK

I have used Clays and Clay Dot for well over 6 years, and find it to perform quite well. For me at least, it meters very well in my Dillon. I use it exclusively in 38/357 as well as 45 LC, and also for 12 ga. low velocity/low recoil loads. Can't find a thing not to like about either powder. I use the same loads, (by weight), with either powder.

RBK

I used Titegroup for my 45 LC and Hod Clays for my lite 12 ga loads until Clays disappeared. Then I found Clay Dot and it works very well in my 12ga, so I tried it in my brass and was able to reduce my throw by 0.5 - 1.0 grains per round using published loads from Hornady and Lee. Not a huge amount, but for as much as I shoot it adds up.

My powder measure is a little sensitive with really light loads, so the loads were not reliable with Clays or Clay-dot with anything too much below 1/2 of the recommended load for 125 grain bullets. (I had to go 0.2 or 0.3 grains above the min loads.) But I didn't even like the really load loads even when they worked.

With titegroup, it takes very little volume. And it was not at all consistent for any lighter loads.I had to have relatively louder, snappy loads with it. SO I use TG for 9mm, etc where higher pressures are needed.

I have not tried Clean Shot.

I load on a Dillon and I solved that problem by changing to their smallest charge bar and load down to 1.5 grains of Titegroup and my throws are consistant. I make it a practice to weigh my throws every 5 until Im sure they are accurate. Once I am sure, I check them every 100, in case.

I was considering Clay Dot, but changed to Extra Lite. No results yet, but have high hopes for a good 7/8 Oz 12ga load.it is suppose to be a little more bulky, which is what I was looking for.

Well, the Alliant Extra Lite powder arrived. It does exactly what it says... it makes an excellent 7/8 oz, low recoil 12 ga load. It has lighter recoil than the Low Recoil store bought shells I now have. I used Remington Hulls, Chedite primers, reclaimed shot, and Clay Buster 3/4 oz wads, and a #25 powder bushing. The finished shell look perfect, it burns very clean and most important....... Moma like them!

I didn't save a dime... If you can find exactly what you want in store bought shotgun shells..... just buy them!

Snakebite

Well, the Alliant Extra Lite powder arrived. It does exactly what it says... it makes an excellent 7/8 oz, low recoil 12 ga load. It has lighter recoil than the Low Recoil store bought shells I now have. I used Remington Hulls, Chedite primers, reclaimed shot, and Clay Buster 3/4 oz wads, and a #25 powder bushing. The finished shell look perfect, it burns very clean and most important....... Moma like them!

I didn't save a dime... If you can find exactly what you want in store bought shotgun shells..... just buy them!

Snakebite

I didnt think Chedite primers would fit Rem because of the larger diameter. Did you have to rework your primer pocket?

It cost me about $4 a box for 12ga to reload them. Using Clays or Clay Dot, my guns are easier to clean than when I shot Win low recoil and I get a softer kick than those factory loads. I need soft recoil with my new stainless steel shoulder.

I didnt think Chedite primers would fit Rem because of the larger diameter. Did you have to rework your primer pocket?

It cost me about $4 a box for 12ga to reload them. Using Clays or Clay Dot, my guns are easier to clean than when I shot Win low recoil and I get a softer kick than those factory loads. I need soft recoil with my new stainless steel shoulder.

I use Chedite primers precisely for that reason.. they don't seat quite as deep, and ALWAYS go off. When I use Federals or any US made primer, I occasionally have a FTF because of lite firing pin hits. The Chedite primers seat flush, I like that. You must be getting your primers, powder and shot a heck of lot cheaper than I am if you can do it for $4 a box. Our local prices are really high, so I have to order everything, and pay the shipping and Hazmat. I usually order 10,000 primers at a time, and at least 8lbs of powder. I go through hulls like crazy... I normally shoot BP, and just won't use them more than twice,... so, I end up ordering once fired hulls... all all of that up, and I'm in well over $5+

sb

I use Chedite primers precisely for that reason.. they don't seat quite as deep, and ALWAYS go off. When I use Federals or any US made primer, I occasionally have a FTF because of lite firing pin hits. The Chedite primers seat flush, I like that. You must be getting your primers, powder and shot a heck of lot cheaper than I am if you can do it for $4 a box. Our local prices are really high, so I have to order everything, and pay the shipping and Hazmat. I usually order 10,000 primers at a time, and at least 8lbs of powder. I go through hulls like crazy... I normally shoot BP, and just won't use them more than twice,... so, I end up ordering once fired hulls... all all of that up, and I'm in well over $5+

sb

Thats good to know. Ive been shooting for 4 years and have never had a FTF using Federal, Win and CCI primers, but I shoot all smokeless. I buy most of my powder at gun shows in 8# jugs and order my primers 5-10,000 at a time when Midway has a special and have never paid an inflated price. I shoot 3/4 oz with a light load which yeilds <1,000 FPS. I took my press to the range to test several hulls to see how many times I could reload them before the crimp failed and found I can reload several as many as 18 times.

See yawl round the bend,

Paladin Ralph, ES, Proprietor

Have Cart, Will Travel

Sent via Paladin Ralph’s Pony Express

didnt think Chedite primers would fit Rem because of the larger diameter. Did you have to rework your primer pocket?

No, no rework needed. Cheddites seat fine in Rem and Win hulls. What they can do is leave the pocket slightly large so that American size primers are a little loose. In Snakebite's case, he's tossing them after one loading anyway and it NEVER concerns him. I have simply decided (loading smokeless), I'll just stick with Cheddites because they are always reliable AND cheaper and easier to find to boot. I still burn out the crimp before I see any loose primers though.

Good luck, GJ

No, no rework needed. Cheddites seat fine in Rem and Win hulls. What they can do is leave the pocket slightly large so that American size primers are a little loose. In Snakebite's case, he's tossing them after one loading anyway and it NEVER concerns him. I have simply decided (loading smokeless), I'll just stick with Cheddites because they are always reliable AND cheaper and easier to find to boot. I still burn out the crimp before I see any loose primers though.

Good luck, GJ

We all shoot what we can get. I like the American 209 primers I use and reload my hulls more then a few times. I havnt found RIO or Chedite primers for less money,here they are more than American brands.

Archived