SASS Wire Forum

'66 vs. '73?

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

Can you explain how the lever safety lets you run the '73 faster than the '66?

Blackfoot :)

By allowing me to put a little pressure on the trigger without tripping the sear until the lever is closed, I am able to push the gun a little faster without getting out of battery discharges. When it goes well it looks like this.

By allowing me to put a little pressure on the trigger without tripping the sear until the lever is closed, I am able to push the gun a little faster without getting out of battery discharges. When it goes well it looks like this.

Bingo! Listen up boys. He knows how to run a rifle.

Stan

Ps. We won't talk about the shotgun. :D

Holy Mackerel!

Did anybody get a time on that rifle string? I don't think I have ever seen a rifle shot that fast, and I have seen some pretty fast shooters.

Or did you speed up the video? :)

Holy Mackerel!

Did anybody get a time on that rifle string? I don't think I have ever seen a rifle shot that fast, and I have seen some pretty fast shooters.

Or did you speed up the video? :)

No video editing. No, I do not know what the rifle time alone was.

On the other hand, I get to spend more time shooting. I'm still trying for that 60 seconds exactly... (for one stage, mind ya)!! :D

You can get a good guess from the video timestamps and running in slow mo.

The beep happens at or a little before the half second mark.

The gun is empty at about 2.5 sec.

The first shot doesn't fire until about exactly 1 sec.

The split times were somewhere in the .15 range. Around 2 sec total for the rifle from the beep and starting from port arms. :blink: Wow.

. I shot a stage in 44:40 once. Was not really happy with the time but since my rifle is a 44/40, it was kinda cool.

That would be a quick stage for me... I've dropped into the 30's a couple of times... folks begin speculating that I've gone and done something with "Griff"... ;)

:) That target is clearly too short. Haha.

One of these days you will learn the proper technique GRASSHOPPER!

• 3 weeks later...

I have both. My '73 is my match gun and my '66 is for long range and cutting 4x4s. The '66 has a long hexagon barrel and the '73 is a carbine. The only reason I don't buy a '66 for matches is the loading tang on the magazine always gets in my way. I love the looks of the '66'

'66 or '73 ? I do not offer my opinion as to which is better, but ----

Well, they are not the same animal and, as to which is better ---- I would defer to Winchester's opinion. ;)

They made the '66 for about 4 years (I think) before beginning to re-design the rifle

They made the '73 for about 52 years (I think) (and, yes, they made three models of the '73. but they were all '73s). :)

That said, I would say that which is better for you is which one you like best. :D

Your mileage may vary :)

I can't agree with the easier to tear down and clean part. For minor cleaning with smokeless powder sure, but there's essentially no difference for a full breakdown. And the access is larger for the 66, which makes it easier to clean and I feel the 66 is easier to put back together.

My 66 would be easier to put back together if I had a third hand.

You might consider one of the new Miroku Winchester 73s as well. They are well done rifles with a stroke that is a bit shorter then an Uberti right out of the box.

You will be happy no matter which one you pick.

DD

I have both. My '73 is my match gun and my '66 is for long range and cutting 4x4s. The '66 has a long hexagon barrel and the '73 is a carbine. The only reason I don't buy a '66 for matches is the loading tang on the magazine always gets in my way. I love the looks of the '66'

I don't understand "the loading tang on the magazine" do you mean the Henry model 1860 instead of the 1866 Winchester?

Archived