SASS Wire Forum

EOT attendies

longcolt 14205L

Howdy all

I'm just wondering and NOT wanting to start a fight on the wire. I've counted 194 attendees at EOT so far. Only 13 of these are from California (the birthplace of sass and EOT) and 5 of the 13 registered are guests or conventioneers. Are we as California shooters still picketing EOT because of the move to New Mexico. I'm not throwing stone here but don't you think it's about time we got over it? Sure wish I could party and drink with more of my California parts at EOT. Would really love to hear your replies.

Longcolt sass 14205 LIFE!!!

I've been to EOT quite a few times. I'm planning on being there this year. There are a few that still have the boycott mentality. If they haven't got over the move to New Mexico by now they never will. I don't see why that would stop someone who wants to go to EOT from going. I doubt anyone will get a rope because you went to EOT.

I camped on row seven next to large group of So Cal SASS campers. They ate, drank, partied and some even shot well. Besides your friends from home, EOT draws shooters from all over the world. Shoot and party with Kiwis, Norwegians, Germans, numerous Texans (including the Dooley Gang) and plenty of Canadians. It's a unique match worthy of your attendance.

I'm not a big fan of the 12 he drive either. But the way I see it, it takes longer for the Ausies and Kiwi's to fly here than it takes me to drive. I hope that a lot more so cal folks sign up but after this post they may prefer that I party with the kiwi's.

I've been to EOT quite a few times. I'm planning on being there this year. There are a few that still have the boycott mentality. If they haven't got over the move to New Mexico by now they never will. I don't see why that would stop someone who wants to go to EOT from going. I doubt anyone will get a rope because you went to EOT.

i take it the doctor has cleared you i don't want you crashing and burning not it will good to see you

i take it the doctor has cleared you i don't want you crashing and burning not it will good to see you

Yep, SP, the doc has given me clearance and as of right now I intend to be there.

I guess what bothers me the most is that folks act like the rest of the country does not have to drive any kind of a distance to get there. Winter Range is 32 hours (just drove it) and EOT is 24. Would I like them in my own backyard, yeah who wouldn't. That being said I view both events as a pilgrimage and have not regretted any of my trips. 10 of them to WR and this EOT will be my 6th. If ya wanna play ya gotta be there. Sitting in one spot and wishing it was somewhere else gets you nowhere fast. Can't wait for EOT.

Edited by Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Deuce,

I know others have farther drives. I'm sorry you are bothered when some of us mention the length of our drives.

Most of the time, I have to travel alone everywhere. Thankfully, I don't feel alone when I arrive. Also, long drives require me to leave my husband unattended longer. He is physically unable to make a trip that takes more than a few hours and doesn't find it fun to go much of anywhere.

The farthest I have ever been to a match was Sparta almost 6 years ago. That was a combination family visit, business trip, and two-match vacation. My husband's health is much worse now.

The choices we make about matches may not be as simple as the miles make it seem.

Regards,

Allie

Deuce,

I know others have farther drives. I'm sorry you are bothered when some of us mention the length of our drives.

Most of the time, I have to travel alone everywhere. Thankfully, I don't feel alone when I arrive. Also, long drives require me to leave my husband unattended longer. He is physically unable to make a trip that takes more than a few hours and doesn't find it fun to go much of anywhere.

The farthest I have ever been to a match was Sparta almost 6 years ago. That was a combination family visit, business trip, and two-match vacation. My husband's health is much worse now.

The choices we make about matches may not be as simple as the miles make it seem.

Regards,

Allie

Did I say you directly, I'm sorry I thought we were able to express ourselves on this forum, I forgot where I was for a minute. My apologies.

Oh ya? What about salsa from New York City? GET A ROPE! Will lynchem all!!!

All kidding aside, I've only been shooting this game for about two years but I have shot matches in quite a few places. Every where I have gone and everyone I have shot with I have never heard one word of discord about EOT being in New Mexico. Everyone I have shot with in California wishes they could be at EOT. For most of us, (especially those who are still working for a living) just don't have the time to get there. At our monthly 3 gun and Wild Bunch match we were talking about all the lucky ones like Latin guns and Lusty Lill that were so looking forward to going this year. I wish I could go but I blew my vacation time on Winter Range. I personally feel that the question of people from California boycotting EOT because it is not in ca is a moot point and a dead subject. JMHO, Will Lynchem.

Edited by Will Lynchem

Oh ya? What about salsa from New York City? GET A ROPE! Will lynchem all!!!

All kidding aside, I've only been shooting this game for about two years but I have shot matches in quite a few places. Every where I have gone and everyone I have shot with I have never heard one word of discord about EOT being in New Mexico. Everyone I have shot with in California wishes they could be at EOT. For most of us, (especially those who are still working for a living) just don't have the time to get there. At our monthly 3 gun and Wild Bunch match we were talking about all the lucky ones like Latin guns and Lusty Lill that were so looking forward to going this year. I wish I could go but I blew my vacation time on Winter Range. I personally feel that the question of people from California boycotting EOT because it is not in ca is a moot point and a dead subject. JMHO, Will Lynchem.

I hope you are correct will. I've been playing for almost twenty years and my pards still seem to resent the move. Looking at the roster so far seems to prove that out. Being from southern cal I remember the warmth of EOT in Norco and that's because all of the local clubs (of which I am a member of) knew all the members so we had a huge majority and it was like family. I think that's what most of us here miss the most about EOT. Unfortunately that will never be rebuilt without attending. Maybe someday I'll feel that same spirit in New Mexico

I'll be there agin this year the good Lord willing. Only missed one since I started sass which was the first year they held EOT here in nm. I've not shot every year first year was a guest as it was full by the time I learned of it. But it was a big event with the valley full of venders and people. I worked as a ro. Berm marshal until they did away with that program then began paying my way. Stayed on the ranch in 2006 but went to hidden valley for several years after that then for a couple years I was already camping/Rving in ABQ so I didn't see the need to move. Then in 2012 I had the wreck that has put me down. That year I helped out as press and stayed at Kirtland AFB. The next year is the year I missed because of medical problems then in 2014 and 2015 I got a motel room in moriarty this year the motor home and shop trailer will be back on the ranch. I'll go up a day or two early stay at Kirtland AFB dump tanks and fill water and propane fill the utv tank with gas the mottohome tank with diesel and my two gas cans and the shop generator tank to run the AC in the shop. Hopefully I'll have my laser setup working fully by then and can dry fire the match in the trailer. The afternoon before shooting the stages the next day and see how that helps me lower my times. Lights and other things should be powered by solar in the trailer. My Motorhome has an drain on the coach batteries let it set for two days and low voltage and it has a solar charger.

I hope you are correct will. I've been playing for almost twenty years and my pards still seem to resent the move. Looking at the roster so far seems to prove that out. Being from southern cal I remember the warmth of EOT in Norco and that's because all of the local clubs (of which I am a member of) knew all the members so we had a huge majority and it was like family. I think that's what most of us here miss the most about EOT. Unfortunately that will never be rebuilt without attending. Maybe someday I'll feel that same spirit in New Mexico

IMHO if you attend EOT at Founders Ranch it is like one big family. Misty and the entire crew at EOT really go out of their way to make EVERYONE feel at home. What you have to remember Longcolt is that a lot of folks still have these things called jobs and it's tough to get away wherever you live. Expecting the California attendance to be like it was in the old days is dreaming. There are plenty of new friends to be made and they'll treat you just as well as your California pards and if you want a party the Dooley Gang really knows how to put one on.

I attended every EOT from 1992 until 4 yrs ago. stopped going because I just can not breath at 7,000 ft due to some personal problem. It's got nothing to do with the politics of them leaving California, it has everything to do with the fact that they moved it to the dark side of the moon, where the air is too thin for me. However, I am attending this year.. gonna give it one more try, but I would certainly rather that it be held at a lower elevation. EOT has always been a great match and it is at a great shooting facility, and it has one of the Games best Match Directors in T.A. Chance, he is a swell guy, but it is just a bad location for me, so I don't normally go.

Snakebite

Snakebite, consider booking a motel along the Rio Grande in ABQ. (There are some nice properties Downtown in the valley bottom.) The elevation there is about 1,800 feet lower than the ranch and the air is less thin. That might help you.

Snakebite, consider booking a motel along the Rio Grande in ABQ. (There are some nice properties Downtown in the valley bottom.) The elevation there is about 1,800 feet lower than the ranch and the air is less thin. That might help you.

I don't think his ammo will shoot 35 miles.

I don't think his ammo will shoot 35 miles.

I was thinking about a commute. However thinking about cleaning a plate rack from 35 miles is interesting. Maybe some of DARPA's Exacto bullets would work.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

Hi snakebite

So sorry to hear that you are ailing. I fully realize that California EOT will never feel the same to me and I look forward to meeting and making new friends.

I want to thank everyone who donated to this thread. I want you to understand that I'm not knocking EOT NM and I'm really looking forward to the trip.

We that are 'local' are looking forward to seeing you!!!

I suggest for those of you who live at lower altitudes and humidity, to invest in a nose GEL...not a spray.

Start using it a week prior, you will be glad you did.

Also, start drinking some Gatorade or Pedialyte on your way here, and while you are here. You will get a jump start on hydrating yourself, as well as your nose!😜

I attended every EOT from 1992 until 4 yrs ago. stopped going because I just can not breath at 7,000 ft due to some personal problem. It's got nothing to do with the politics of them leaving California, it has everything to do with the fact that they moved it to the dark side of the moon, where the air is too thin for me. However, I am attending this year.. gonna give it one more try, but I would certainly rather that it be held at a lower elevation. EOT has always been a great match and it is at a great shooting facility, and it has one of the Games best Match Directors in T.A. Chance, he is a swell guy, but it is just a bad location for me, so I don't normally go.

Snakebite

Snakebite if you can get some oxygen to use before and after shooting that way your o2sat will not drop as much and if needed put the bottle on the cart with your guns for use during the shooting . I use a bipap anytime I lay down and now have a inhaler if it gets hard to catch my breath be leave me I'll have it on me or in my cart. I've got to install a 12 volt outlet in my bedroom on my ne Motorhome so I can power my bibap at night. The ny has a solar setup to recharge the batteries if I unstand the several systems setup on my rig I can set the gen set to override the quite hour settings if the batteries get below a certian level but if the gen set comes on to run the AC during the day it will also charge the batteries. I hope to test this out several nights prior to EOT. I have two major things to fix before then one is replace the microwave. That died at winter range. The other is the satellite system hasn't worked since they installed the dish and I bought a reman receiver out of their store the are saying the receiver is the problem. One minor thing need to instal trailer brake controller but didn't need it on the WR trip pulling the trailrer.

Allie, would love to see you in Illinois again.

That said, I went to EOT 10 years ago and trying to see if I can make the trip this year. I think it is about the same drive form Alabama as it was from Northern IL, But I might fly if I can get my ammo out there and will try flying with guns for the first time. I should have it worked out by end of April. Since Sparta is closed, the trips I would normally make to Sparta are canceled so I might be able to save enough to make one longer trip. I went to the first EOT at Founders Ranch and loved the April weather, but for some reason everybody thought it was cold.

Maddog McCoy

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672