SASS Wire Forum

Uberti? Cimmaron? Peitta? (Taylor?)

Knuckles Bandera #43963

I'm looking to buy new set of six-shooters (have my old model Vaqueros, and a pair of Ruger Birdheads, all in .38).

I've had an Uberti/Cimmaron Original Antique finish Cattlemen 45 Colt for years and just shoot that one now and then but I'd like to keep all my kit in the same caliber. (also, still trying to replace the base pin retention screw has been a bear).

I'm amazed at all the new models out there and am a little perplexed (is Cimmaron and Uberti? Is EMF?). Just reading about all these "short stroke" models and what not....it's really great to have all these choices but a little daunting when making a choice. :)

For folks that have any of these smokewagons (in .357/.38) I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm not looking to replace my Vaquero's, just need to have another set.

Howdy

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Uberti and Pietta are manufacturers.

Cimarron, Taylors, and EMF are importers. They do not manufacture anything

Howdy

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but Uberti and Pietta are manufacturers.

Cimarron, Taylors, and EMF are importers. They do not manufacture anything

See Driftwood,

I"m already learning something! Thanks!

So I guess my Cattleman is an Uberti, imported by Cimarron.

Now I'm just looking for folks who own any of these Uberti/Pietta and let me know how they like'em. :D

We have two sets of Cattleman revolvers. Mary's are 357, mine are 45 Colt. Our's are Stoeger import - through Beretta.

CattlemanNov2014_zps98ec872a.jpg

One of Mary's 357s. I installed Runnin' Irons hammers in all four and made new base pins that won't slip on safe or jump out.

I have a pair of Smokewagons in .44-40 that I bought 7 years ago. They have been great competition guns. I've shot black powder and smokeless through them with no problems. Taylor's has great service. I had a problem when I first bought them, the cylinder was not locking up on one of them. I had the gun back in 2 weeks!!!!! They stand behind they're products. ;)

Cimarron and Taylors sell both Uberti and Pietta made revolvers. EMF - mostly Piettas. Navy Arms (now back importing revolvers) - now selling Piettas, if I remember right.

As always, it's better to go to your local matches and ask folks to show and talk about their guns when you are planning to buy something new.

What fits you and your style is always better than the biggest pile of accolades heaped on a gun by a feller you don't even know, let alone have a chance to try out how it feels.

Short stroked revolvers were really designed for duelists and gunfighters. Dropped hammers also.

Now, does that mean a two-handed shooter will or won't benefit from those styles of guns? You might, you might not.

Go try them, go talk about them, get real info and try them yourself. It's always the best way to make the decision!

Unless you just like dumping a thousand bucks or more into a pair, trying them for 10 days and selling them off used.

Going to a big regional (or bigger) match would let you get several vendors all together on the same lot. But whether you can get all the info you need to make a good decision between models and manufacturers is a whole different story.

Good luck, GJ

I have a pair of Smokewagons. The wife shoots them and really likes them. I shot them as well for an entire season and had zero complaints. We've not had any hardware issues at all and they are tuned quite nicely.

The new short stroke versions look great.

If you're a duelist or GF I would say look into a set of smoke wagons short stroked and tuned by Cody Conagher. If you manhandle the hammer like the heathen two handed shooters then the short stroked pistols will be overworked in short order so get regular smoke wagons. Basically Cody comes in cheaper fully tuned than Taylor's by a bit and both teams get their money.

We have two sets of Cattleman revolvers. Mary's are 357, mine are 45 Colt. Our's are Stoeger import - through Beretta.

CattlemanNov2014_zps98ec872a.jpg

One of Mary's 357s. I installed Runnin' Irons hammers in all four and made new base pins that won't slip on safe or jump out.

Warden,

How did you make the new base pins? Does a replacement pin come with the Cattleman? I was looking at getting a Model P but was concerned with the base pin coming loose like it did on my 45LC.

Warden,

How did you make the new base pins? Does a replacement pin come with the Cattleman? I was looking at getting a Model P but was concerned with the base pin coming loose like it did on my 45LC.

Yes, I made them. Here is a link to a post I made.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230253&hl=%2Bbase+%2Bpin

Belt Mountain makes them and has great reviews here on the Wire.

http://www.beltmountain.com/

There are a couple of other work arounds that require no expensive and little effort. Many just shorten the Uberti double notch so it will go all the way to the forward "safe" notch but not block the hammer. You can replace the Uberti pin with a pin of standard length with only one notch.

For folks that have any of these smokewagons (in .357/.38) I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm not looking to replace my Vaquero's, just need to have another set.

I have a pair of Smoke Wagons with Running Iron hammers installed and I dearly love them.

Knuckles, some may snob this but the "inexpensive" Hombre or whatever they are called is a Cattleman in disguise. You can find these used for as little as $300.00 each. They have that matte black painted on finish. Get a scotch brite pad and start scouring. Take some paint off where the gun should show holster and hand wear. They have leaf hammer springs and can be reduced easily. I shoot Ruger 3 screws but I do have a pair of Hombres in 45 Colt.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/uberti-1873-cattleman-hombre-revolver-u343900-357-magnum-walnut-grip-matte-finish-p-116287.html

Hombre2_zpsencnsspg.jpg

I shot a pair of Uberti Evil Roys(stainless) .357/.38...nice revolvers! I just got a new pair of Uberti Smoke wagons(imported by Taylors)...These are 5.5" and the new short stroked revolvers!! I had LongHunter do further work to them...and I love them!! Just have to get my "timing" down with the short stroke vs standard. I don't think you would be disappointed in the Smoke Wagon short strokes!!

If'n I was going to buy SAAs from Italy I would get the new Pietta Alchemists since they have the larger army grips that fit my hand and I was the originator of the idea and Alchemista rewarded me by giving me two sets of grips, screws and triggers for my USFA SAAs. But I try to buy American where I can shotguns and rifles tend to be harder to buy USA made. If I can find a USA made 73 in. 38-40 at a price that I can afford I would buy it same with a SxS and 87 lever scatter gun. My revolvers except for the S&W copies are USA made Ruger and USFA USA made guns. But couldn't afford the USA made model 2s.

This is what the Pietta 1873 Millineums in .357 look like. We have two pair of these. My wife shoots a pair and the other pair is for my daughter as soon as she decides to move up. She is a Buckarette and is still shooting her Heritage Rough Rider .22's.

20151205_032435915_iOS.jpg?psid=1

They're good pistols and inexpensive. I have about $1200 in two sets of them. A little bit of time and attention is all it took to smooth them out.

I bought a pair of Taylor Cattleman Ranch hand .357's recently for the wife since I have a pair that I use and they work well. One of the new ones wouldn't lock up a lot of the time and I was afraid the thing would blow up, as I had several primers that were hit way on the side and some of the cases were hit also with the firing pin. I took them completely apart and I must admit they were terribly put together. Grinding wheel marks on the sear and most other parts. Looked like a little kid did it with a coarse grinding wheel dremel tool. I smoothed out all the bad areas and hoped the timing didn't go south and fortunately for me it didn't. The cylinder seems to lock up good now. I also installed Longhunter's spring kits, but have done that on all single actions that I have owned when I first got them. I have had Ruger Vaqueros, Cimarron Model P's and Frontiers both and now these Taylors and I think the Ruger's were the best of all of them. Your paying more, but they are built better in my opinion. But you know what they about opinions.

Archived