SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Commemorative '73's & '66's

Max Montana, SASS #23907

I haven't heard of anyone seeing one you could buy. Not that I could see buying one. After all, their not "Winchesters." Their Miroku, a Japanese rifle.

I guess that Winchester label across the barrel is a mistake?

Sorry Kid.

Bust be you haven't noticed. "Winchester" hasn't manufactured any kind of firearm in decades. The only thing "Winchester" does anymore

is Marketing. So ...... Yes. The label across the barrel really is a mistake. Nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

It is my understanding that Miroku makes a very fine gun.

I haven't heard of anyone seeing one you could buy. Not that I could see buying one. After all, their not "Winchesters." Their Miroku, a Japanese rifle.

The Mirokus are beautiful rifles. True they aren't made in the US, they are made under license, in name only. I picked up an 1873 Trapper recently, and I could not be more pleased. It is unbelievably smooth operating and it feeds 125, 130 and 158 grain 38 Special flawlessly.

With a rifle this nice and this well made, it doesn't matter to me who made it or where.

The Mirokus are beautiful rifles. True they aren't made in the US, they are made under license, in name only. I picked up an 1873 Trapper recently, and I could not be more pleased. It is unbelievably smooth operating and it feeds 125, 130 and 158 grain 38 Special flawlessly.

With a rifle this nice and this well made, it doesn't matter to me who made it or where.

I agree, if it works well and is the right price, that's all I want , but some people get all jazzed up about the name and all the "history" that supposedly goes with it. This late in the game, there's probably very few companies in the U S that are really related to their original name.

Sorry Kid.

Bust be you haven't noticed. "Winchester" hasn't manufactured any kind of firearm in decades. The only thing "Winchester" does anymore

is Marketing. So ...... Yes. The label across the barrel really is a mistake. Nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

I am going to disagree with you, but when you get enough money to buy the Winchester name, you can call it whatever you want. Until then, as long as Winchester owns the rights, they are Winchester rifles.

Why is that when someone writes a post about a product they are interested in buying, not asking for anyone's opinion on them, they get it anyway? True, it is not manufactured in the US, but it is still a Winchester to some people. Why do people buy from Cimmarron or Taylor when they could buy straight from Uberti? The quality and characteristics are why. The original poster didn't ask whether people thought that the "new" Winchesters were actual Winchesters, he wanted to know if anyone knew where he could buy them. So please don't inject negativity where it is not needed or required. No one is asking you for your opinion on whether or not it is a true Winchester and based on his number he has been around in this game long enough to know that the new Winchesters are being manufactured by Moriku, so you were not doing him a favor by telling him "that Santa Claus doesn't exist" especially with the way you wrote your response.

This sport used to be about having fun and reliving your favorite moments from TV or Movie Westerns or real life legends dressed whatever way you wanted and shooting the guns you could afford or desired to when you could buy them. Now all of a sudden we have a bunch of cynics who won't let people buy what they want to shoot and dress they way they want within the regs or outside of them if they are not competing and just shooting to have fun! I remember I took my son shooting and let him shoot a "Winchester" 92 rifle in 44mag and some old fart at the loading table told him he couldn't compete at a regional shoot because of the rebound hammer. I looked at the guy and told him we aren't at a regional shoot and to keep his opinions to himself! Of course you can compete at a regional shoot with a rebound hammer, but he decided to ruin the fun of telling my son his rifle wasn't any good. Why does it take someone to rain on someone elses' parade when it is not needed. Seriously, if you don't have something nice to say, don't write it here, OK!

Now that I have my Trapper, I want a 20", but not the case hardened version. I prefer the high polished glossy blued finish. I haven't seen any on gunbroker yet. I wonder if they come with ladder sights like the Trappers. It seems like as soon as Davidsons gets them, they are snapped up and put on gunbroker for maximum profit. Kind of a drag.

Jimmy Reb, yes it is the same company. Forgot to answer your question before. I have a Browning 92 in .44 mag that was made by Moriku, and it is a sweet carbine. I have never had an issue with any of them and yes, i am planning on getting a 1873 24 inch octagonal, blued version if I can so I have a Winchester 73 that I can be sure will shoot .44 spcl once i get it reamed out like my John Wayne 92 commemorative, allows me to shoot both 44-40 and .44 spcl! Would like a 66 but hoping that they build more than the anniversary model as I don;t have 3k for a rifle.

If they build a standard 66 model for around the same price as the 73's are currently, I will definitely be buying one.

You can go here and read the top paragraph about the 66 and 73. IMHO the 73 commemorative is much better looking than the 66.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246569&hl=%2Bshot+%2Bshow

You can go here and read the top paragraph about the 66 and 73. IMHO the 73 commemorative is much better looking than the 66.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246569&hl=%2Bshot+%2Bshow

I remember that thread when you first posted it from SHOT. I agree with you on the commemorative models. I can't afford either though. What I do want is the 66 to be produced on a larger scale next year or so and at a reasonable price like the new Winchester 73's are. Say in the $1100-$1300 range.

I just sold my 16 year old Uberti '66 to a pard in need of a rifle. It's still sound and has served me as my first toggle link rifle slicked by Lassiter many moons ago, black powder rifle, and most recently wild bunch gun. My pard was excited to get it and I was glad. Wouldn't have let any one else have it. That being said with the exception of some late 19th century 38/40 '73's, I'm down to one 45colt Uberti rifle. A '73 with a 30" barrel. Figured it was time to make the switch to 44WCF.

Didn't desire to take a 19th century '66 for everyday cowboy use, but a brand spankin' new fully engraved '66 with Winchester on the barrel in 44WCF kinda trips my trigger! Heck Jim Beams owned by the Japenese, Budweiser is Begian-Brazilian, and no need to discuss Ford, GMs, or Chryslers.

Someone happens to know of one that comes available, Lemme know!

I tip mah hat an' thank ya much.

Jimmy Reb, yes it is the same company. Forgot to answer your question before. I have a Browning 92 in .44 mag that was made by Moriku, and it is a sweet carbine. I have never had an issue with any of them and yes, i am planning on getting a 1873 24 inch octagonal, blued version if I can so I have a Winchester 73 that I can be sure will shoot .44 spcl once i get it reamed out like my John Wayne 92 commemorative, allows me to shoot both 44-40 and .44 spcl! Would like a 66 but hoping that they build more than the anniversary model as I don;t have 3k for a rifle.

more info please, I got real confused on able to shoot both 44-40 and 44 spcl did not believe that was possible GW

OK, here's the $ 10,000.00 question of the day. Can you take any part of the modern "Moriku" Winchester 1873 or 1866 and interchange them with a original 1873 or 1866 rifle? If so, then its close enough to being the same for me. From what I have read, Winchester, when they sold the rights to there rifles, gave Moriku the original blue prints. So if you can say that you can interchange say the bolt and firing pin assembly or the carrier or the linkage, then in my opinion, it is in respect, the same rifle. JMHO, Will.

OK, here's the $ 10,000.00 question of the day. Can you take any part of the modern "Moriku" Winchester 1873 or 1866 and interchange them with a original 1873 or 1866 rifle? If so, then its close enough to being the same for me. From what I have read, Winchester, when they sold the rights to there rifles, gave Moriku the original blue prints. So if you can say that you can interchange say the bolt and firing pin assembly or the carrier or the linkage, then in my opinion, it is in respect, the same rifle. JMHO, Will.

No. The Uberti is actually closer to an original Winchester than the Miroku version. Where ever you read about selling rights and giving the original blue prints that is BS.

Max if your talking about the 150 year commeradives. They are winchesters that were made ove a 150 years ago according to Winchester.com or the Winchester web site. I didn't see anything about being able to buy them as they are the one in a million guns with a cartridge board. I saw a 73 in 38 wcf that I would love to have that was made in 1887 iirc.

My colts say Uberti. The wife's say Pieta. Our Winchesters say Uberti or Briztec and the shotguns are from South America, China or Turkey. Have a very nice Weatherby made in West Germany and two others made in Japan by Hawa. Then there's that piece of junk slide action colt copy from South America deep in the gun room, somewhere.

Just exactly what is it we manufacture "on shore" these days.

My colts say Uberti. The wife's say Pieta. Our Winchesters say Uberti or Briztec and the shotguns are from South America, China or Turkey. Have a very nice Weatherby made in West Germany and two others made in Japan by Hawa. Then there's that piece of junk slide action colt copy from South America deep in the gun room, somewhere.

Just exactly what is it we manufacture "on shore" these days.

Well there's rugers. There's Marlin. There's Smith and Wesson, though not sure what they have we can use in this game. Oh yeah, then there's Colt.

No. The Uberti is actually closer to an original Winchester than the Miroku version. Where ever you read about selling rights and giving the original blue prints that is BS.

Then I guess that answers my question. I've never fired one and only read about them. If you can't interchange the essential parts, then I don't feel that it is the same gun. Thanks for the info Larsen. W.L.

Max if your talking about the 150 year commeradives. They are winchesters that were made ove a 150 years ago according to Winchester.com or the Winchester web site. I didn't see anything about being able to buy them as they are the one in a million guns with a cartridge board. I saw a 73 in 38 wcf that I would love to have that was made in 1887 iirc.

I believe he is asking about these 150th year commemoratives:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873s-in-current-production/model-1873-150th-commemorative.html

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1866/1866-yellow-boy-commemorative.html

These are new manufactured rifles and have a suggested price of 3,329.99.

Archived