SASS Wire Forum

1858 Remington vs 1860 Colt

I agree with Warden Callaway, about the hammer coming back on my index finger. That is something I can live with, as they are nicely balanced, as Badger stated, and shot well. But I love those Remingtons, I think it is the look of them.

Ain't it odd that by 1873 Colt made a revolver that looked more like the Remington, and Remington, for the most part, was out of the pistol business (with a few model exceptions).

I guess this means that the leadership at Colt (Sam died in 1862) thought the Remington was a better design.

Colt did make a sidehammer Model 1855 with a topstrap, but it never a big seller.

My Remington clone has never failed in the 20+ years I've had and used it. And I do like the simplicity of removing its cylinder for cleaning.

However I just bought my third 1860 Colt Army, after getting rid of the first two because of the design's propensity for cap jams.

But I must admit the Colt design is better balanced in the hand than the Remmys, so I had to take the plunge once more. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :)

The Colt design does indeed feel nicer than the Remington design.

The Colt is prone to being jammed by split caps - not so the Remington.

Removing the cylinder from the Colt usually requires a tool (simple striking object), leaving the cylinder and separated frame and barrel assemblies. Cylinder swaps are not practical.

Removing the cylinder from the Remington requires no tools and leaves the frame and barrel intact. Cylinder swaps are easily done.

The Colt, with it's graceful lines and curves, is (in my not-so humble opinion) more aesthetically appealing. The Remington is more robust looking.

The Colt is more delicate, and the Remington indeed is more robust.

And that's why I have a pair of both Colt design and Remington design. :)

And I likes 'em all! ^_^

Hammer is smaller than Colt and a too bit far for my thumb. The Colt just feels better, like comfy shoes. I assume you're thinking smokeless and conversion cylinder?

No, I already got one that is well broken in. :D

In fact it needs a new set of grips. There is a chip in the walnut

on the old ones.

You have been bitten by the Black Powder bug, Mr. Cleburne. I understand that there is no cure.

I too was once infected with the virus but time and old age overcame it. :lol:

Badger, I'm afraid my black powder affliction is terminal. It's been growing over the years instead of receding. For heaven's sake, I'm thinking of loading the holy black in my 1911, AR and Lugers .... somebody stop me PLEASE!!!! :)

My first reloading experience was stuffing a bunch o' .30-30's with fffg behind 150gr fp's. Hey... it was the only powder I had, and I wanted to try out my brand-new Lyman 310 Tong Tool! :)

Impressed the hell outta the dude on the downwind side of me... it was SWELL! ^_^

Archived