SASS Wire Forum

1893 Marlin 38-55

Black Mike

I have been looking at an 1893 Marlin at a local shop. It is said to have been made in 1898. It has a half octagon half round barrel. Marbles type rear sight and hooded front. Looks like it may have been reblued in past and screws replaced. Action is very good, wood could be better but not too bad. Someone took the curved metal butt plate off and fitted a piece of walnut making the back of the butt straight. I looked in bore with bore light and it was pitted say 50%. I ran a brush and a few patches which cleaned it up a bit, but it is pitted although the rifling looks sharp.

I'm wondering if this rifle would still shoot well enough at 200 yards in this condition. Price currently at $900. If Anyone who has any experience with a rifle like this could share I would appreciate it.

I had one, and it shot well. IMO, the condition you state does not support a price of $900. No doubt that someone else might pay that much, but I would not. If it were a Winchester, it would bring a bit more.

Snakebite

Howdy

I have a few old rifles and revolvers with pitted bores. Not all that uncommon with an old gun from the Black Powder era. Generally speaking, as long as the rifling was still strong, they have all turned out to be good shooters. Not too sure if they would be good out to 200 yards, but they have all served me well. The only exception that I can think of right now is a Winchester Model 1890 gallery rifle chambered for 22 Long. I cannot get it to group very well. It is really pretty shot out and the groups look more like shotgun patterns.

Anyhoo, that is my experience with pitted bores, and that includes an old 44-40 Marlin Model 1894.

Your mileage may vary, you won't know until you try.

Archived