SASS Wire Forum

45 Lc Reloads? And W231

Renegade Ripley

I reload 45 Lc using 200 gr rnfp and Winchester primers, I have been loading mid range loads of w231 Would some of you cowboys that load with w231 PM me what your doing and how you like it,

Thanks Renegade Ripley

mid range loads of w231

That about where I stayed when I used Win 231 in 45 Colt with the 200 grain bullet. Mid range. Any lighter load and I had a LOT of unburned powder, even with a tight roll crmp.

Now use a little lighter load, with either Win WST or IMR 700-X, both of which are faster powders and burn better, less blowback, less soot on cases.

Good luck, GJ

I load 45 Colts. Agree with Garrison Joe, but I use lighter bullets, and ultimately went to RedDot for those low to mid range loads.

I load 250 gr. bullets under a near max load of 231, but much prefer Red Dot when using Smokeless powder ...

There too I stay in the upper load range ...

I find W-231 dirty compared with RED DOT...

Jabez Cowboy

I personally like Clays, but Red Dot, Titegroup, American Select, or even Bullseye would undoubtedly perform better than W231.

Accurate Nitro 100 would be another fine performer.

RBK

Another Red Dot user here. have a bunch of Nitro 100 on the shelf, too. Now you got me thinkin'...

I save W231 for .45 ACP and .32-20 loads.

Reddot is a good powder in .45 Colt for 160 to 255 grain bullets. I prefer 180 RFNs with enough Reddot to get consistent ignition, and no more.

Guess I gotta be different...... I Use Tin Star with 200gr bullets, really clean and consistent results! The down side is availability as well as cost for Tin Star has soared!

700x with 180 gr bullets is a good combination, good performer

I've found that Clays is a little sooty with 200 gr, and Clay Dot isn't any better, maybe worse for soot! That doesn't mean I don't use it for 45, just like the cleaner choices ;)

Howdy- mid range works best in BIG cases such as the .45 Colt; use too small a powder charge, and performance becomes erratic at best, with lots of unburned powder blowing out of the gun. Small cases help a great deal- I like Schofield brass for my handgun loads, and don't spare the crimp. Trail Boss ( I still have a supply ) while it meters poorly w/o encouragement, doe a good job . Encouragement can be almost any vibrating motor that you can fix to your powder measure. Really helps to get consistent charges with a number of powders. I use one that resembles a large beetle; original use is to quiet and soothe cranky babies.

Archived