SASS Wire Forum

Is there a need for a how to

Hurricane Deck 100366

I spent the evening polishin, jewelin and fittin a set of SBH hammers to the daughters NMV. I took lots and lots of photos because I can remember several folks telling me they struggled to get their rugers apart and back again.

I am sure there are some good write ups out there for disassembly and reassembly of a new model vaquero, but does the world need another?

I'm prepared to spend the time puttin a very fine write-up together (technical writing is my thing) that would speak to both the novice and pro alike, but need to know if it would actually fill a need for anyone.

Thoughts? The write up would cover everthing from tools needed, to descriptions of what each part does and it's proper name and how it fits with it's adjoining parts.

I would have tips and tricks to get certain parts removed and information on "free" upgrades to the gun that can be done as we go.

Like a good MD who reviews radiological images and does his own analysis first, I suggest you not review previous write ups and imagery in advance of preparing your own.

Have you viewed Jim Bowie's DVD on exactly that topic? I saw it a the last SASS Convention and think Jim did a good job with his production.

I watch numerous videos on YouTube about various guns for proper 'take apart/put back together' info. And I also enjoy tidbits of info on how to PROPERLY 'tweak' certain parts.

But I do have one suggestion: Please don't spend the first 2 minutes of the video showing the box it came in and then open it up to show what it looks like laying inside the box. That particular item makes me turn off those videos immediately.

All that being stated, I do commend you for what you have done and your plans to make a video.

I think its a great idea and wish you well.

..........Widder

It's a great idea, IMHO, but limit the preamble like Widder said. On many of these type of videos the maker seems to like to hear himself talk, a lot.

You suggest I do *not* do review?

That's not what I said.

I suggested that you do your write up first and then review other efforts.

But, as always, do it how you think works for you.

It's a great idea, IMHO, but limit the preamble like Widder said. On many of these type of videos the maker seems to like to hear himself talk, a lot.

I watch numerous videos on YouTube about various guns for proper 'take apart/put back together' info. And I also enjoy tidbits of info on how to PROPERLY 'tweak' certain parts.

But I do have one suggestion: Please don't spend the first 2 minutes of the video showing the box it came in and then open it up to show what it looks like laying inside the box. That particular item makes me turn off those videos immediately.

All that being stated, I do commend you for what you have done and your plans to make a video.

I think its a great idea and wish you well.

..........Widder

I agree wholeheartedly. One of the reasons I'd create a write-up, not a video, is because I hate the sound of my own voice. Besides, a good technical document is easier to reference later.

Hurricane Deck,

Before starting your technical writing, check out all the videos on Youtube concerning disassembling NMV

Some are good, some are bad. a couple are downright wrong and at least one leaves out key pieces of information, making reassembly using the video all but impossible.

Just what is the advantage of the SBH hammers unless you are a duelist shooter?

The wider hammer makes for a larger area for the thumb to land on during cocking. The lowered spur means even those shooting two handed don't have to reach as far to cock the hammer. This is ideal for those with smaller hands, those that may have a touch of arthritis or other join or reach problems.

But mainly the wider hammer works just like wider tires on a car. More grip area.

Just what is the advantage of the SBH hammers unless you are a duelist shooter?

Those of us with semi-arthritic thumbs joints and/or smaller hands find reaching for that hammer spur upsets your grip. I put them on my NMVs and it's been a great improvement though some insist I don't shoot any better! :huh:

Howdy

Ruger has an excellent disassembly video on their website. They recently redid their web page and it took me a while to find it. It's a bit of a pain.

If you go to the Ruger web page, then click on revolvers, drag your mouse down to single action revolvers so the red arrow shows up, Then drag your mouse over to Vaquero and click on it. Then click on one of the four options shown; Blued, Stainless, Bisley, or SASS. A new page will appear and if you scroll all the way down there is a good disassembly video. He doesn't show you how to reassemble it, but that should be obvious following the disassembly video.

It's a pain to get to the video, it took me a while to find it, but it is a good disassembly instructional video with a lot of good tips.

I was fondling Cobra Cat's pistols and they are stock hammers, tuned by Jimmy Spurs. They felt pretty good. I've been told that the SBH's are actually slower than stock. Just wondering if there's someone that could explain the theory behind changing hammers. I guess the smaller hand, arthritis, explaination is acceptable. One would think that the taller hammer would make cocking easier than the short hammer, more leverage with the taller hammer, thus less effort to pull the hamer back. Inquiring minds want to know.

Those of us with semi-arthritic thumbs joints and/or smaller hands find reaching for that hammer spur upsets your grip. I put them on my NMVs and it's been a great improvement though some insist I don't shoot any better! :huh:

:-) Ehh! They're prolly jus jealous! :-)

I was fondling Cobra Cat's pistols and they are stock hammers, tuned by Jimmy Spurs. They felt pretty good. I've been told that the SBH's are actually slower than stock. Just wondering if there's someone that could explain the theory behind changing hammers. I guess the smaller hand, arthritis, explaination is acceptable. One would think that the taller hammer would make cocking easier than the short hammer, more leverage with the taller hammer, thus less effort to pull the hamer back. Inquiring minds want to know.

If you can't reach that taller hammer, it would be slower. A lower hammer doesn't work for me as it hits the web of my hand. However, for some it works great. Whoever told you the lower hammers are slower than stock is probably talking about themselves.

Howdy Assassin.

Your question about any advantage of the SBH hammers is a good question. I can only try to answer it from my perspective.

When I video's the Cowboy world record GF run (the draw and 10 shots in 1.81 seconds) I was using stock hammers on .38 Ruger Vaq. AND...those pistols were NOT short stroked in any manner. And if my memory serves me correct, those pistols were with the Birdhead grips.

About 3-4 years back, I started using the SBH hammers on pistols that were short stroked. I'm not suffering from arthritic problems but I personally found that my small hands and short thumbs could better grasp the SBH hammers with LESS slip off occurrences.

Personally, I don't think the SBH made me faster (my fastest draw and 10 LIVE shots is 1.79) but they seem to allow me to grasp the hammer better with less slip offs.

When I try stock hammer pistols now, I find them very unusual to my grasp.

I think if I were a Traditional style shooter, I would probably stick with the stock style hammers.

But as a GF, I think the SBH hammers accommodate my hands better.

As a side note: my pistols are the original size Vaq in .45 Colt. BUT, I have put the short frames on them (Vaquerito), replaced the barrels with 3" Octagons, and the pistols are also short stroked with SBH hammers. Its a VERY personal setup that probably doesn't feel right for most shooters. But they work for me.

Have a good day.

..........Widder

Alright, so here's a first draft. It's written for the person who may have never taken their Vaquero apart before, or someone who has taken it apart and couldn't seem to get it back together. Some steps may seem obvious to those in the know, but I wanted to cover everything.

So far the document is strictly the disassembly/reassembly of the pistol. I welcome comments to make the document better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzef0nors1no5n9/NMV%20Doc.pdf?dl=0

Advantage, or non advantage is as perceived by each person. One size don't fit all.

I used the vids on the Ruger youtube channel to help me when I put SBH hammers in my RNVs.

But another look and perspective could be useful.

With thumbs that hurt much of the time from arthritis I think they are helpful to me, but YMMV.

Assassin - Next time we are both at the same match you are welcome to give mine a try.

Advantage, or non advantage is as perceived by each person. One size don't fit all.

I used the vids on the Ruger youtube channel to help me when I put SBH hammers in my RNVs.

But another look and perspective could be useful.

With thumbs that hurt much of the time from arthritis I think they are helpful to me, but YMMV.

Assassin - Next time we are both at the same match you are welcome to give mine a try.

I have SBH hammers on my old Blackhawks that I used when I shot modern category. My hands are not small so I don't feel they made a difference.

Just wondering if people do stuff just because others are doing it or if it really helps. Personally, I'll stick with my stock Vaquero hammers. Thanks for the offer.

I have SBH hammers on my old Blackhawks that I used when I shot modern category. My hands are not small so I don't feel they made a difference.

Just wondering if people do stuff just because others are doing it or if it really helps. Personally, I'll stick with my stock Vaquero hammers. Thanks for the offer.

I really had no interest in the wider hammers until I bought a pair of SASS vaquero's with the Montando hammers. The larger purchase on the wider hammer is certainly different and has a more positive feel against the thumb and I am less apt to have my thumb slip off the hammer early. So for me, It makes a difference.

I've never been one to fall into the lemming category though.

...Just wondering if people do stuff just because others are doing it...

I have been known to do this a time or two. Usually quiz the individual and find out why they did it and try it myself if it makes sense. I've had some winners and losers doing it but I always learn something.

Learning to powder coat was (is?) a trip with many wrong turns but I've benefited knowledge-wise either way it went.

cleaning brass has lead me to SS chips in a wet media bath--really like the results even though my pins aren't being used right now.

It's fun to try new things (for me) so I'm a happy camper

cr

Great job breaking it down into bite sized steps. Much better than "remove the grip screw and tear down the rest of the revolver."

two things did come to mind.

The brightness of the SS made some of the pictures hard to figure out what was happening. Not sure a blued gun wouldn't bring its own problems with everything blending into 'dark'

the mat with all the writing on it was distracting. A plain mat would help some folks' possible confusion.

All in all, a great job!

cr

Archived