SASS Wire Forum

IAC 1897 Tuning

Ace Hanlon

I took the advice of Coyote Cap and disassembled my 1897 IAC 09 series and re-installed everything but the carrier. Put an empty hull in the chamber and pulled the slide back at normal speed and the hull kicked out about 10 feet! As Cap said this would indicate the left and right hand extractors appear to be working and in balance with each other. Cleaned all the parts and reassembled. Put the hull back in the chamber and it only kicks out about 2 to 3 feet. It does not appear to be hitting the flag or anything else during the ejection process. The reason I’m looking is that on occasion a hull seems to stay in the action flopping around. Any suggestions for next steps or is this normal?

Cap's new 97s have a coil spring installed to help the left extractor. Several of my real and clone 97s have had this done by my local cowboy gunsmith. I'm not a gunsmith, so I can't tell you exactly where the coil spring has been added. I know there are several good 97 gunsmiths who do this. My guy is in Harriman Tennessee. Maybe someone will know of a good smith in your area. If not, PM me and I will send you my guy's information.

The other thing to check is the ejector. The Cowboys and Indian store sells a good replacement for about $10. These are very easy to replace by yourself.

Howdy ACE.

Down in your area, there a some GOOD 97 shooters and they should be able to help you. One of the more prominent smiths in your neck of the woods is RoughNeck Rod.

Like TN MONGO, my 97 smith also lives in Harriman, TN. We use the same smith for our SG's.

I hope to see you next Friday at the IDES.

Please have me some warm/hot temperatures to shine down on me.

:D

p.s. - call me if you get a chance.

..........Widder

I just fixed the two I own

I stopped and talk to Cap at Winter Range

After the same test you did

I adjusted the timing on both carrier by

welding 2 small nipples on both sides/top of the carrier where the bolt hits the carrier,about .100 add

I all most did a before and after video

Billy the Avenger

Billy would you happen to have a picture of the carrier which shows to points where the weld was applied? If on top of carrier, does this fix reduce the upward movement of the carrier? Thanks for posting. Ace

Billy is becoming a top notch gun guru.

He set up his own Marlin Widdermatic last year. I handled it and I must say he did a GREAT job.

Keep up the good work Billy.

..........Widder

Archived