SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne's "El Dorado". What rifle is Bull using?

Knuckles Bandera #43963

Yep.

And a safe shooter would never put their hand in front of that cylinder.

Louis L'Amour wrote many of his books that included a Colt's revolving shotgun. In 1855, it was one of the first weapons of mass destruction!

There is a great website - http://www.imfdb.org- that has information about the firearms used in movies. You can search by firearms type, by movie or by actor.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/El_Dorado#Colt_Model_1855_Carbine

Holler

That's the one! Well gents, you know my next question....is it SASS legal?! :D

Well it does have an exposed hammer.....but that is about it.

CIY277-Z-F1-L.jpg

The TGs voted against allowing revolving rifles/carbines and/or revolvers with shoulder stocks attached for main match rifle use.

Local club regulations may vary at the monthly match level.

;)

RIFLE REQUIREMENTS

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899, incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer. Rifles with box magazines may not be used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of rifle and ammunition to be used.

REF: SHB p.9

CIY277-Z-F1-L.jpg

if somebody showed up a monthly match with an original, I bet they would let him shoot it, plus have a line of folks wanting to try it out! I'm guessing its a 6 shooter, which would make a reload necessary for a typical 10 shot SASS stage.

Dan Suggs used a revolving carbine in Lonesome Dove.

What I want is a 27 (I think???) shot Evans rifle!

Ah, but could you use one as one of your pistols? Pretty tough to shoot gunfighter though

Only in one designated alternative universe by a single species (Morseerian)

...and ONLY if utilized in pairs shot GF-style (allowances can be made for multi-limbed competitors).

Otherwise...NO...not legal to use as a pistol.

:ph34r:

Oh man. It would have been legal for me, if only I hadn't traded in two of my arms for the killer deal I got on my Colts. Normally they cost an arm AND a leg.

Going rate for a pair of early 3rd Generation SAAs in these parts is one arm and a ½ a foot.

Not many of the local GFs use real Colts...but some of the Duelists do.

:P

I know it's against the rules, but think of the style points. I've always wanted to shoot a revolving rifle with an extra cylinder to be swapped out during the stage. Would be COOL! 'Course knowing me I'd drop the extra cylinder during the swap out process!

I know it's against the rules, but think of the style points. I've always wanted to shoot a revolving rifle with an extra cylinder to be swapped out during the stage. Would be COOL! 'Course knowing me I'd drop the extra cylinder during the swap out process!

Yes, but now you can retrieve dropped ammo if done safely :)

I can see a problem with changing out the cylinders. Handling a capped cylinder would be a bad accident that's bound to happen. And if it wasn't capped, capping in on the clock would burn up a lot of time.

I can see a problem with changing out the cylinders. Handling a capped cylinder would be a bad accident that's bound to happen. And if it wasn't capped, capping in on the clock would burn up a lot of time.

Style points are often awarded in direct correlation to the amount of time burned up.

Yep.

And a safe shooter would never put their hand in front of that cylinder.

Louis L'Amour wrote many of his books that included a Colt's revolving shotgun. In 1855, it was one of the first weapons of mass destruction!

In the movie, right when Bull is shooting at the church bell, you can see him do just that. Yanks his hand away quick!

Archived