SASS Wire Forum

What a stinking

Dorado

Footlocker that is. So, I've been given a footlocker. It looks to be of WWII issue but I don't know what to look for in them. I've found a couple of goodies hiding in it stuck to the bottom of the tray. It is in great shape. However there is just one MAJOR problem. IT STINKS!!!!!!!!! The previous owner must have dumped an entire box of mothballs in it.

How do I get that smell out or at least tamed?

I'd like to put some of my WWII uniforms and other small items in it for storage but I can't with it smelling the way it does. Any tips on what I can do?

Pic? Set it outside for a few days let the sun and air work on it for awhile.

Mightn be some kind of fungus growing in it. Mebbe clean the inside with a little diluted bleach and then rinse it out real good, then set it out for a good amount of time outdoors in the sun.

Kajun

Pic? Set it outside for a few days let the sun and air work on it for awhile.

I'll try to get a good picture of it. I've let it sit outside for a couple of days but I'll try it here. It's warmer today than the last time I tried it.

Baking soda may help too :blush:

Would I sprinkle it in or just leave an open box of it inside for a while?

Mightn be some kind of fungus growing in it. Mebbe clean the inside with a little diluted bleach and then rinse it out real good, then set it out for a good amount of time outdoors in the sun.

Kajun

There's a fungus that smells like mothballs? I know there's foot fungus but a foot locker fungus? Must be some Kajun thing... :ph34r:

I'll give the bleach thing a try as well.

Set a bowl of charcoal in it.

Charcoal...I'll try the others first then finish up with that. I think that should take care of any lingering odors.

Surprisingly, vanilla is an excellent odor killer

Vanilla??? I've never heard of that.

Mebbe just line it with thin cedar are let that overwhelm whatever else is in there :D:D

Kajun

So since Bob wanted some pictures here they are.

IMG_1910_zpsmen028o7.jpg

IMG_1911_zpst2jrxrry.jpg

IMG_1912_zps2mndzxsa.jpg

And the goodies I found in the bottom.

IMG_1914_zpsvxv6bmkx.jpg

So did it come with the P-38 and stripper clip...? :)

Yeah, they were stuck to the bottom of the inner tray. I thought they were a nice perk. There are remnants of the old shipping tags but they've fallen apart. I wish there was something for provenance but sadly there's not.

When my dad died I received a trunk that had been heavily mothballed and the smell was overpowering. I cleaned it out and set it outside for a few days in the sun opened up and that improved it a lot and over time it pretty much lost the smell.

Archived