SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell Reloading Noob Question

Just embarking on this adventure. Will be reloading smokeless primarily in Rem STS hulls (with some Win AA) on a Lee Load-All II. I've got my powder, shot and wads sorted out. Is there a collective preference among cowboys for shotgun primers? If not can posters tell me what they use and why they like it? I have already used the search bar here to no avail.

FYI for those not inclined to reload Cabela's has Estate 12g dove loads on sale for $49.99 per 250 with free shipping at ninety-nine bucks. If I was born smarter and not so handsome I'd buy some but I think I'll try to load my own. My daddy said I didn't have enough time in my life to make every mistake once so I'd better start listening to people smarter than me. That's why I'm asking you.

Thank you in advance.

Federal or winchester, winnies go into the tray easier

Winchesters, Federal and CCI are what I used mostly, util.

Since primers were harder to get and $$, I've used Cheddite and Noble.

They have worked very well for me. But they are just a little larger diameter. So once you use them in a hull, you have to continue with them. Since I only use hulls a few times, it has worked fine for me.

Shotgun rounds are pretty forgiving if you are not loading hot or at the very minimum. So primer selection can be varied - for cowboy loads. That is NOT true if you load at full load ranges.

The question of reload or buy shotgun shells opens up a whole new can of worms.

If you just want to knock down targets with smokeless loads using a modern shotgun, then there is no real advantage in reloading.

But if you want black powder (or subs) then you're about forced to load your own. I also load some roll crimped light smokeless loads for old shotgun that are designed for these loads. And, oh yeah, 10 gauge. There are no store bought cowboy loads available for these.

I use Winchester primers for no special reason. The few Euro-trash hulls I am forced to reload, I set the unprimed hull on a heavy block, insert a big bolt, smack the bolt with a hammer. The squeezed the primer pocket enough to hold the Winchester primer.

Howdy

I have always used Winchester shotgun primers. No particular reason, probably just because they have been the most easily available.

I have always used the Federal 209A primers in CAS shotshell loads because of their very hot brisance, (strength). When loading the very reduced loads we use, (1000 FPS or less in 7/8 oz. loads), the hotter primers insure a cleaner and more efficient powder burn.

Sure, others will work, and all brands are used for different individual reasons, but getting the very best internal ballistics from the very reduced and very low pressure loads we use, the Federals are the outstanding performers.

RBK

I buy on price on what's available. Anymore, Cheddites (and I just live with the fact that the primer pocket might stretch out a thousandth's or two). Perfect performance, and a primer cup that is ALWAYS set flush with the battery cup, giving 100% ignition by the short firing pins on TTN hammered shotguns.

As Marauder explained, our low pressure loads can allow thoughtful variance from the strong recommendation of shotshell loading manuals that you precisely follow a published recipe to avoid dangerously high pressures from "willy-nilly" substitution of primers or other components. That is, primer doesn't matter much in Cowboy shotshell loading.

Good luck, GJ

When I got my guns back out a couple of years ago I found I had 5-7 bottles of Pyrodex and black powder that was at least 20 years old. So I got a Lee Loadall and started loading it and shooting it away.

I deliberately kept shooting the same 25 hulls to see how many reloads they would take. Some started to burn through or split at the crimp at about 5 reloads. Others lasted to at least 10 reloads and I started to get misfires. I traced it back to the primers seating deap. Primers set up to .010 deep would fire reliability. Deeper than that and they wouldn't fire with multiple hits or in other guns. Obviously, there is no need to reload hulls so many times.

I like the idea of the primers seating flush. I think the Winchester primers are seating .005-.008 deep in once fired hulls.

Whatever is on sale.

Me too! Right now I have Winchester, Federal and CCIs on my reloading bench.

I"m loading federals but have used Winchesters as well. Like 'em both.

Those dove loads don't shuck well in most SxS's

I used a Load All II for a long time. mine had a tendency to leave a hole in the middle of the crimp large enough for #8 shot to potentially dribble out, so I always used a paper overshot card. Having shot floating around in the action of a 97 is a good way to lock it up, so it was worth the extra nanosecond to place the overshot card in order to avoid a train wreck on a stage.

Hurricane Deck,

Just a heads up. Those hulls you have reloaded with the "Shot Inspection Hole" in the middle of the crimp, are most likely from using AA HS cases, and using too shallow of a pre-crimp. The deeper the pre-crimp, the more material that is added into the crimp, thus enabling the hole to be closed by the final crimp.

This is not unusual, and is common with the use of AA HS cases, until the re-loader learns the cure..

RBK

Hurricane Deck,

Just a heads up. Those hulls you have reloaded with the "Shot Inspection Hole" in the middle of the crimp, are most likely from using AA HS cases, and using too shallow of a pre-crimp. The deeper the pre-crimp, the more material that is added into the crimp, thus enabling the hole to be closed by the final crimp.

This is not unusual, and is common with the use of AA HS cases, until the re-loader learns the cure..

RBK

Yep - About 1 to 1-1/2 threads lower on my 600 jr when switching from STS to AA.

Yep. I was able to adjust the mec 9000 to get a perfect crimp, but the load all II doesn't offer per crimp adjustment if I remember right, so this is a solution the OP can keep in his hip pocket should he need it.

Archived