SASS Wire Forum

tankless water heater questions

Trigger Mike

thinking of getting a tankless water heater. someone told me they require a lot of maintenance. Is that true? they said they had installed some but they had been told they do not heat well. what is the life span on them? if you have one and had it to do over would you still get it?

My fiancee had one installed about five years ago, then a couple years later she had to have it serviced because of a leak. Other than that she's had no trouble with it, and it's plenty hot enough for her needs.

I looked into getting one myself but the electric ones take way more current than my distribution panel can support. and the gas ones need an exhaust vent. That sounded like work.

I believe the electric units run on a 50 amp breaker. That's alot of juice, although they only run when needed. You'll need to make sure the electrical panel is up to the task. Gas isn't a big deal. Lifespan is dependent upon how often it is used. How many people are in your household.

Yep, electrical ones DO use up the juice. I work for a company that sells electricity but if you had the choice I'd say choose a gas powered one. Heating efficiency is much higher with gas than electricity.

Now that said, I don't have any of that infernal heathen gas hooked to my house even though there is a gas line running in front of my house. When I built my house I thought it sacrilegious to allow any of that heathen stuff enter my house....just wouldn't look good for an electric company employee to be using gas :blink::wacko:

Kajun

Make sure you do not have hard water; the hot water generator in these heaters is similar in design to a coffee maker, and high mineral content in the water will occlude the heater.

If I had the choice, I'd go with gas; faster heating, more efficient, lower cost. And venting is no harder than with any direct vent appliance.

LL

We've had a propane example since we built our house nigh on ten years ago. Haven't done a single thing to it except use it.

CHT

We have hard well water.

Bosch recommends yearly descaling; from their manual:

"Flushing the heat exchanger with a descaling solution if mineral build up is evident. Scale build up will shorten the life of the water heater, descale heat exchanger thoroughly and repeat annually depending on mineral content of ground water."

LL

tankless waterheaters are worth the money whether gas or electric.

Bosch recommends yearly descaling; from their manual:

"Flushing the heat exchanger with a descaling solution if mineral build up is evident. Scale build up will shorten the life of the water heater, descale heat exchanger thoroughly and repeat annually depending on mineral content of ground water."

LL

No problems with a Bosch washer. Now, don't get me started on the Dryer. I just decided to replace them this week.

I believe Hubby has some types of filters at the well pump.

BTW, we first bought (8 years ago, so things may have changed) an LG W&D. I asked if the washer was compatible with a tankless WH; the sales person said yes. The washer turned on and off 23 times before washing, which was unacceptable and noisy with a tankless. The repair man came and also counted 23 off-and-on cycles. The company took the W&D back after a month and gave us a full refund.

So, I bought the Bosch. It was compatible with the tankless; but the dryer crapped out and would cost $700 to fix. They were B) looking metallic, front-loading, with pedestals and cost $1200 approx. each. Their replacements cost less then $1000 for the two together. So what if they are white. At least the washer is top loading. The Bosch was front loading and, to keep it from stinking, I had to dry the interior after every use; not to mention leave the door open, which is awkward with a front loader.

Oh, I got OT; but, needed to vent. :o

Regards,

AM

No problems with a Bosch washer. Now, don't get me started on the Dryer. I just decided to replace them this week.

I believe Hubby has some types of filters at the well pump.

BTW, we first bought (8 years ago, so things may have changed) an LG W&D. I asked if the washer was compatible with a tankless WH; the sales person said yes. The washer turned on and off 23 times before washing, which was unacceptable and noisy with a tankless. The repair man came and also counted 23 off-and-on cycles. The company took the W&D back after a month and gave us a full refund.

So, I bought the Bosch. It was compatible with the tankless; but the dryer crapped out and would cost $700 to fix. They were B) looking metallic, front-loading, with pedestals and cost $1200 approx. each. Their replacements cost less then $1000 for the two together. So what if they are white. At least the washer is top loading. The Bosch was front loading and, to keep it from stinking, I had to dry the interior after every use; not to mention leave the door open, which is awkward with a front loader.

Oh, I got OT; but, needed to vent. :o

Regards,

AM

AM:

I like off topic; it makes life interesting, and is more like a real conversation.

My bride and I have abandoned the fancy washer and driers. Give me solid, simple top loading washers and driers, with mechanical timers and belt drives. I can do most necessary repairs without special tools, 500 page manuals or an understanding of complex electronics.

LL

We have hard well water.

Well now Miss Allie Meaux...ya just need to be more kind to yore well water and it wouldn't be so hard! A kinder, gentler Allie Meaux ya know ;):P:D

Kajun

the current water heater tank is in the attic. Im concerned it may leak one day and thought tankless would prevent it. i am hearing it still can leak. I imagine it'd be easy to install a propane tank and vent it out the roof . the house will have up to 7 people in it sometimes, usually less.

the current water heater tank is in the attic. Im concerned it may leak one day and thought tankless would prevent it. i am hearing it still can leak. I imagine it'd be easy to install a propane tank and vent it out the roof . the house will have up to 7 people in it sometimes, usually less.

Mike:

I have a water heater (electric) in the attic of my cottage. I had the installing plumber put it in a stainless steel tray, with about a 4" curb, and a PVC drain. Leak it might, but not into the house.

Most tankless heaters are direct vent appliances - a vent will go straight out the side wall. No vertical chimney is required, and no holes in your roof. Check the installation manual of the model you are interested in.

LL

We have a Rinai (sp?) gas instantaneous water heater. Wouldn't trade it for the world. It directly vents to the outside in a discrete location. We never run out of hot water, even with four young adults children visiting home along with spouses and girl/boy friends.

I don't think I'll ever have a tank water heater again.

No maintenance has ever been done on the device. It has a warning when the heat exchanger starts to scale, but it has never indicated an issue.

Good topic. I've installed gas units. After the initial start-up I never had to go back and service any of them. Never installed an electric unit due to excessive updates in the electric panel and homeowners just did not see the savings after spending additional money for new panel or larger service. I will be replacing my old water heater soon and will look at the tankless units, I have propane. Probably install a storage tank ahead of the tankless unit with a solar powered heater to help preheat the water before it enters the heater. Just raising the temp in a storage tank to ambient temp. should decrease time it takes to heat water and save gas.

I have had a tankless for about 8 years. The first one died after about 2 years. The manufacturer stood behind the product and replaced it at no charge. But I had to pay several hundred to the plumbers because the new one was slightly different than the original one. My wife and I coordinate taking showers because it takes a wile for the hot water to get to the second floor. But once it gets there we can take long soothing showers. One other thing is that because the tankless is further away than the old tank was it takes time to get hot water and we wind up always washing our hands with cold water.

Put my electric heater in 10 years ago. It requires 2 50 amp breakers but will handle two major draws(showers, washing machine, dish washer at a time. I had one small component go out after a year. The manufacturer sent me a new one and walked me through installation(15 min) over the phone. Absolutely zero maintenance since then.

We are on a well, but have a Culligan water system that produces water like you get from an Ozarka bottle.

the cost to update the fuse box is a concern. the pan under the current heater needs to be bigger, ill try that route and make sure it has a drain line

If you still have a "fuse box" you're due for an update anyhow, I know that's just generic verbage. Many older homes had 100 amp service, newer homes have 200 amp service. There are many variables, like electric heat, electric dryer, A/C units, how many high amperage appliances, etc. Is there enough room for two 50 amp breakers? It'll take a pretty large set of wires to feed the new tankless unit. The pan and drain in the attic is not a big ticket item. Really wish you hadn't mentioned tankless heaters, now I'm thinking I need one. :)

Howdy,

How well do the natural gas units perform compared to electric? Are they more or less likely to need service than electric?

Thanks, Keystone

Usually, the gas units (natural or propane) are more efficient (more water heated per unit of energy). The service requirements are about the same.

LL

Archived