SASS Wire Forum

Torn bicept tendon

Tracker Jack Daniels,58780

I am looking for some insight into the road I am about to go down.

The results of my MRI came back today and my right bicep tendon is 90% torn where it attaches at the elbow. Looks like surgery next week. What shoukd I be anticipating for afterwards? The surgeon told me about drilling a hole in the bone and pushing the tendon into the hole, and fastening so the bone will grow back and form new strong attachment. He also went on about all the things that could go wrong, and recovery time of 4 to 6 months.

What I would like is to hear from someone who has had this done, and how things went, what to do, or not do. How long before I will be able to get back shooting?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First, get a second opinion from an orthopedist who specializes in elbows/shoulders.

Find a good orhopedic physical therapist for your rehab.

Share your shooting goals with both of them.

Then have patience and do your rehab.

Practice dry firing with your other hand to keep your coordination ! :)

Good luck

Dusty (a practicing P.T.)

not my elbow but they had to reattached my bicep at the shoulder. Got back to shooting in 5 months.

be sure to stick with the PT. They know what they're doing and if you back off you are only cheating yourself.

Had both shoulders done twice each--cause I'm clumsy.

Good luck and prayers your way

cr

Well Pard, your about to go down a bumpy road. As stated above, listen to the therapist. Your looking at 5-6 months before you can have the movement to shoot. It WONT be pain free when you do it, especially if you don't do your PT. Good luck and check in here often. Let us know how it's going for you. I wish I had this group when I busted my legs. Took a year to learn how to walk and get back to the range. Could have really used the Forum to pass the time in bed.

Tore the tendons off the bottom of the elbow. Took the top of the steering wheel back about six inches after being rear ended. Sports surgeon bored four small holes and re-attached. Not as serious as yours. Plastic sandwich brace for a month or so.

Do what your PT tells you and no more. You will do good.

One of the guys I work out with has had the procedure described done. He only said it took a while to get back to normal but he is completely recovered now.

Pard I went through this last year. I came out of surgery and had a soft cast for 2 weeks. Could not get wet and could not let it move. Then went back and they put me in a hard cast for 1 month. Again could not get wet. Starts itching about 3rd week. Went back they the cast off. Can't pick up anything for 2 weeks, just light stretching. Then he started me lifting 1 lb and kept working weight up till I could do a curl of 20 lbs in 10 reps. Shot my first match 5 months. Had to use my double couldn't pump 97 for 2 more months. My was the left arm and I am right handed. Been a year and just now getting back to close to what I use too had,but still weaker and get numbness in the arm every once in awhile.

Col.

Thanks guys, the support and encouragement means so much. I don't have the words to begin to tell exactly how much. I have one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the Midwest, and the PT guy is great. They both did a great job 10 years ago, when the group of tendons that control the wrist were torn of the elbow. Both know that I am a Cowboy Action shooter, so they do their best to get me back in the game.

Dusty, thanks for the tip on dry firing. I never gave that a thought. I have been fooling with the idea of trying gunfighter, now I can work on the weak hand.

Col., I love my '97, but I guess now is the time to make friends with my double. Need to get it to someone to polish the chambers, and should be good to go. Not being able to use he '97 will force me to use the sxs, that is a good thing.

Thank You all, I will keep checking in. It is nice to have so much support!

I had the same surgery about 8 years ago right before Winter Range. Col. Falcon described the recovery process pretty well. It will be about 6 months before you start to feel normal & about a year before full recovery. Still good as new now though.

Hey Tracker Jack Daniels,

I had a torn rotator cuff and torn small bicep tendon. I had surgery on Oct, 15th. I was in a restrictive brace for 6 weeks, went through passive therapy (only the therapist was allowed to move it) for the first 3 weeks. Then the therapist started working with me 3 times a week getting the movement on my own. Next we started building the strength back. Now after 4 months I consider myself fully healed. I don't favor that side anymore. In fact it is stronger than the other one. My son sells Jack Daniels Whiskey barrels (empty), they weigh between 100 and 130 lbs. I have been loading them in the back of peoples pickup.

While I was going through the healing process, there were three pieces of advice that I remembered from people on this wire.

1. For the first three or 4 days ...TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS.

2. Listen to your therapist.....they are your way back to full range of motion and strength

3. Endeaver to Persevere. like Michigan Slim.

BW

If you have to have a hard cast ask them about the ones you can get wet. My granddaughter had one, looked just like a regular fiberglass cast. The doctor said if it started itching just spray water down it. She got some really funny looks at the water park.

Randy

Friend o mine had the procedure in September, Constant sling - 2x times a week PT and back to work last week. He has to have the other shoulder fixed too. He got his troubles being a line man for an electric utility ... arms always vertical and humping heavy equipment up the poles and working with it at the poles

Got word today, my surgery is set for Wednesday afternoon. I will be meeting with Ev, my PT guy, tomorrow. Going to make sure he is clear on what my hopes and goals are. Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. Will keep you posted.

Hello Tracker Jack Daniels,

in the BB, Powerlifting and Strongman Game it´s not unusual to torn the bicep (or other muscels).

When the sugery was done by drilling a hole in the bone,

it needs time and exercise to get back the full range of motion, but you will be able to be back in CAS long before.

Probably you get a slight scar like a Z .

If a Muscle was torn completly the tendon mostly fixed here in germany with an anker body that stay.

This can hurt a lot in the days after the sugery,

but i´ve didn´t had much pain at all.

Sorry for my bad english.

Howdy,

Has your pt guy come to a match?

Hope everthing goes smooth.

Take heart in small victories.

A small victory is still a victory.

Best

CR

I had this surgery 2 years ago; reattaching the tendon through the arm bone.

Keep it at 90 degrees for two weeks, then started stretcing and strengthening through PT. Within 2 months, I had full range of motion. Strength came back in a little longer.

You'll be fine.

I'm like others who had it reattached at the shoulder. One thing to start getting used to is NOT using that arm for ANYTHING. You're not even supposed to lift the arm except by using your other hand to do it. Think of normal everyday things you use that hand for and start practicing doing those things with the other hand. Sounds like you're no stranger to surgery so you know to stay ahead of the pain. Best of luck to you. Hope you heal fast and completely.

Archived