SASS Wire Forum

Ex-state Sen. Leland Yee gets 5 years in prison

Subdeacon Joe

He was also fined $20,000.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-yee-sentence-20160223-story.html

Awww.....poor baby!

Yee told the judge that his crimes had hurt his family, his supporters, government institutions and the public.

“That will always weigh on me, and that will always haunt me for the rest of my life,” he said.

U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said he did not feel he should be lenient.

"Today, Yee is a 67-year-old man who has accepted responsibility for his conduct and pleaded guilty before this court,” his lawyer argued. “Yee has led an otherwise exemplary life as a family man, an active voice for the betterment of society, and volunteer.”

Yee also agreed to forfeit about $33,000, mostly from his campaign account for secretary of state, according to a court filing by prosecutors.

Ethics experts generally saw the judge’s decision as fair.

“His sentencing sends an important message,” said Jodi Remke, chairwoman of the state Fair Political Practices Commission. “The public should be assured officials who violate the public’s trust will be held accountable and those of us who are tasked with holding officials to the highest ethical standards will be vigilant in doing so.”

So...selling his vote, offering to procure full auto firearms for what he thought were terrorists, even offering to get RPGs...and he gets 5 years.

The message sent is that if you are well connected, you get off with a light sentence. An ordinary citizen who had made those offers on the guns and RPGs would likely have been hit with 15 years or more.

An ordinary person would have been sent to Gitmo or hung for treason, if they offered to get, full auto firearms for people who they believed were terrorists.

He got off easy. Most likely won't do the full sentence and will be sent to a country club prison.

All I can say is it is better then nothing, at least he is going to do some time instead ofjust walking away with a slap on the hand like we have seen before

Archived