SASS Wire Forum

I made my first gunrig!

Dorado

So I made my first CAS gun rig. It's for my .357mag SAA's and I'm really happy with how it came out. There are a few things that I'd have done differently though of course and I'll make sure to do it right on the next one. But without further ado here it is.

IMG_1908_zpsuvtbzmli.jpg

IMG_1907_zps5xzwtupj.jpg

I wasn't thinking about it and I accidentally made some lines in the face of the belt and something very important that I learned, sew on the billets and measure from the center billet to center the cartridge loops. I didn't know that and centered them exactly in the center of the belt so they are off set to the right too far however that means that I can get to almost all of my 32 bullets with my right hand.

The main dye I used is Old Master's Red Mahogany wood stain that was then treated with SnoSeal before gluing and sewing. The Holster liner, billets, and cartridge loops are dyed with Fiebing's Saddle Tan in a 1:4 ratio with Mineral Spirits. The entire rig is then sealed with Resolene.

Holsters are made with 8/9oz lined with 3/4 oz. Wet formed

Belt is two layers of 5/6oz

Cartridge loops are 4/5 oz

I have no clue about the billets. They were made from a Tandy belt blank that I had laying around. I think it's about 9/10.

I am very proud with how the holster liner came out. No wrinkles what so ever. Next time though. I'll glue the holsters together and burnish the edges before I gouge a stitch line and stitch it.

So how did I do? This is my first holster and gun belt. and my biggest project to date. I still need to add the gun retention strap. I just haven't be able to get it just right yet.

Howdy,

I see some holsters that could have been made back when.

I really like em except I don't see a left ??

And No idea how they fit.

Awesome first try. I would never guess.

Best

CR

Very nice work!

I'd be proud to own that rig.

Very nice work! That wood stain finish looks great. I might have to try that myself.

I wouldn't suggest wood stain. I used it as I didn't have anything to get the color I was wanting. I'm not doing that again. It bled pigment up until I sealed it. I'm planning on putting another coat of the sealer on it once it warms up a bit.

That said, I do like the color I got. If you want to try it, work the leather a bit and warm it up to open the pores as much as possible. Once the stain is on and you're satisfied with the color, get a few soft, clean work rags and rub the crap out of it before you seal it. The color will change and become richer with sealer.

Howdy,

I see some holsters that could have been made back when.

I really like em except I don't see a left ??

And No idea how they fit.

Awesome first try. I would never guess.

Best

CR

It's a right hand straight and cross draw rig. No left. I have one, I just wanted to try something different.

Oh and the fit is perfect.....for me. They won't fit anyone else. :P :P

I'm glad y'all approve. There's a lot of work in these when you don't know what you're doing!

Archived