SASS Wire Forum

Poor boy patch puller

Come On Christmas

I need to get a patch outa my muzzleloading rifle.

Already toasted a store bought one.

Crayfish

Go to the local hardware store and buy a double ended screw. (These really do exist) Screw one end in a dowel long enough to reach the bottom of your barrel. Turn the dowel until the screw catches the patch and withdraw. Might help to be sure there is some moisture present so it doesn't have to be a "dry pull" Done this many times, it works and is cheep.

I ruined a CVA worm. Not very sturdy.

It's been a while since I had a muzzle stuffer.

I'll be getting a ball puller on the way home at Bass Pro. I forgot they were just as effective to pull patches.

I do like Al Overas' idea and it got me to thinking.

I ruined a CVA worm. Not very sturdy.

It's been a while since I had a muzzle stuffer.

I'll be getting a ball puller on the way home at Bass Pro. I forgot they were just as effective to pull patches.

I do like Al Overas' idea and it got me to thinking.

I believe the original poster said he needed to snag a patch.

My patch puller looks like a segment of paper-clip folded into a fork, with the ends bent sideways like hooks. A tiny frog gig.

You could make such a thing from a small paper clip, wrap it around the shaft of a short 8-32 or 10-32 screw (depending on the thread of your cleaning rod), attach to the rod, and snag the patch with that.

In a pinch, you could run the clip wire through a slotted patch holder, and tape it in place.

When I made my "patch puller" I used an empty .45 Colt case with the primer punched out over the end of the rod. Then screw the double ended screw through the primer pocket (wood pre drilled) and it helps keep the rod from splitting.

Archived