SASS Wire Forum

Loading gate spring

Hopalong Mac McLin

Does anyone have a link to video on how to install a loading gate spring on a Marlin 1894? It is held by one screw, but is it necessary to completely disassemble the action to reinstall it? Is there a short cut?

Although I haven't tried this particular idea, it might be possible to position your spring with a good magnet and allow the magnet to hold it in place while you put the screw in.

..........Widder

with a mag tip screwdriver I'm able to hold it in place with my fingers and attach it.

Guess that means the rifle is pretty much torn down almost all of the way--course I do this each time I clean it so no big deal for me

cr

Question for Widder,

Is it okay to lighten the spring on the loading gate? Another gunsmith told me that I should try that but I believe you are an authority on the Marlin so I'd like your opinion.

Thanks,

Cody,

As Billy stated, some prefer to 'hour glass' the loading gate (which is actually the loading gate spring).

If it is overly stiff, like most factory parts, I prefer to take about 1/2 of the bent out of it. I think you get the same results except bending it preserves ALL the steel. If you hour-glass it or thin it, you are removing metal.

I've only known of ONE loading gate spring that has broken. And it had been thinned by the owner.

Hope this helps.

PLEASE NOTE: which ever method you use, don't remove all of the tension on it. The Loading Gate must have some tension on it. Without any tension, it would flop little and possibly interfere with the cycling of your rifle.

..........Widder

Archived