SASS Wire Forum

Ya Ever Seen One?

Bama Red

Midnight shift, town marshal, out of the cruiser at the firehouse.

Looked to my left at what was supposed to be a one story concrete block structure with two bay doors.

I saw a three story wood structure with one light on, one window illuminated, a woman's silhouette in the window.

I blinked, looked again, and saw only the one story concrete block structure with two bay doors.

Same location, different night, oh too early in the morning.

I was out of the cruiser stretching my legs.

All was quiet, all but the jingle of trace chains and the clop of two horses in harness.

It came nearer ... I could hear it distinctly, I heard the rumble of steel rimmed wheels on the gravel alley.

I'm looking toward the sound and not seeing a thing, it's getting closer, it should be in sight --

Whatever it was passed through me, and it was very, very cold.

I don't mind admitting I went into a fighting crouch and had a death grip on my revolver's handle.

The sound receded as if it were going on up the gravel alley.

Now the OP was "Did you ever?" so we won't go into local legends, only my observation:

There was a nunnery a century ago, on the other end of the village, and I have heard an infant crying in the darkness up-hollow.

I've been told it was a fox, or a night bird, or my imagination.

Nope.

I heard an infant, the "la-laa, la-laa" of a very, very young child ... and it always cut off suddenly.

The local legend explains why and maybe that's why people told me it was a fox, or a night bird, or my imagination ... they didn't want to admit to what legend said happened.

This that follows is not what I saw, but I was part of it.

Somehow.

In those days I drove a white half ton Ford with roof lights, I was asst chief on the fire department (back when I was young and skinny, back when dirt was young and so was I) ... late June three and a half decades ago I died in intensive care. It was 4:30 in the morning.

At that late hour, my white pickup truck was seen screaming into town, twin fiberglass antennas laid back in the slipstream.

Three people saw it, and they all said the same thing.

It was running like hell, nobody was behind the wheel, and it was dead silent.

My best friend said he woke up and looked at the clock, noted the time, then realized he recognized the tread on his stairs.

He looked to the doorway and saw a tall shadow and heard my voice say "Bob, I am so tired."

He said he came up on one elbow, roundly cussed me and told me to get back into my body where I belonged.

It must've worked.

I'm still here.

Thats a keeper!

I've experienced a few things in the old Kappa Phi Delta house... built in 1905...

Not ghosts (at least I don't think there were ghosts involved), here's a thread from about five years ago. Some of y'all might remember it - I'm sure Badger will.

Check out Deja's story!

Flying Eyeball

He said he came up on one elbow, roundly cussed me and told me to get back into my body where I belonged.

It must've worked.

I'm still here.

Let's hear it for good friends who'll tell us what we need to hear.

I don't suppose you'd say where those earlier encounters happened? I know of the Moonville Tunnel ghost and Peach Ridge in SE Ohio, but neither of your tales sounds familiar. Just wondering if it was from the same area.

I was visiting Gettysburg with my family and my wife and daughter wanted to go om the Jenny Wade ghost walk.Part of the walk is out in a field where Jenny and 2 of her friends used to go to visit each other and there were 3 trees in that field that grew together after the deaths of the 3 friends.As we were walking out to the tree in the middle of the field I looked at my daughter who stopped and at the same time we both said "do you smell bacon cooking?" It was late at night, no wind and no houses anywhere near the field.I mentioned it to the guide and she said something about the field was used for the Union camp. I guess that's about as close as I've been,and yes,I believe in them.

Read an interesting article in Wild West magazine from October 2015. It was about Sand Creek and ghost.

I am not a skeptic, but I am also not a true believer, (I know that does not make sense). I feel that the imagination can take over reality (for the lack of a better word) to explain, what can not be explained, or how one feels.

What I saw (?), I was not looking for or had any knowledge that others may have. Still don't know what I saw.

I am not a skeptic, but I am also not a true believer, (I know that does not make sense).

It makes sense to me. A true believer believes because he wants to, sometimes in spite of the evidence. A denier disbelieves because he wants to, sometimes in spite of the evidence. A skeptic doesn't believe or disbelieve, because he thinks that there may be more than one possible explanation for what the evidence seems to say.

Ghost or shared dream? Wife & I stopped at a newly opened "B&B" in the newly opened Czech Republic in the early 90's. Room was in a separate building next to the landlord's house. Worst bed ever; a sheet stretched over a wooden platform. Our sleep was restless. Next morning we compared experiences. Each of us had seen/dreamed of a group of people coming thru the room including a man with a hose wrapped around his shoulder. After looking at us & shaking his head he stepped right thru the window to the outside & his dog followed him.

"Did you see the dog too?" Yes we both saw the same tableau! Owners told us later that the building used to be the gardener's house. Spooky.

Seamus

I've had creepy feelings in some places before.

But I have creepy feelings when I see most campaign commercials.

;)

I've had creepy feelings in some places before.

But I have creepy feelings when I see most campaign commercials.

;)

That's called "nausea," Bob.

I was visiting Gettysburg with my family and my wife and daughter wanted to go om the Jenny Wade ghost walk.Part of the walk is out in a field where Jenny and 2 of her friends used to go to visit each other and there were 3 trees in that field that grew together after the deaths of the 3 friends.As we were walking out to the tree in the middle of the field I looked at my daughter who stopped and at the same time we both said "do you smell bacon cooking?" It was late at night, no wind and no houses anywhere near the field.I mentioned it to the guide and she said something about the field was used for the Union camp. I guess that's about as close as I've been,and yes,I believe in them.

One of the funniest ghost story I've heard was from a guy who was a Civil War reenactor and he and a friend were at Gettysburg late one evening walking about the battlefield. Some teenage girls saw them in their Civil War uniforms, thought they were ghosts, and started hysterically screaming. The poor reenactors hadn't seen the girls were about scared out of their skins!!!

Archived