SASS Wire Forum

Ya Ever Seen One?

Bama Red

Didn't want to hijack Sparky's thread, but it seemed that the answer to his question might be "yes" from some of y'all.

So, anyone ever seen a ghost?

I am unable to make out anything recognizable in the picture above. What's that in the foreground?

Yes, I've see a ghost. It was in 1967-1968, while stationed in W. Germany and living in a German apartment. I saw him in our entry three times. He was a tall, dark shadowy figure that almost touched the ceiling. Not what I expected a ghost to look like. He would be active for a few days, opening doors, drawers, turning on lights, moving object (like heavy ashtray and even the couch once), foot steps, etc., then he'd go away for a few weeks. Drove our cat nuts and threw the cat once. We had to eventually get rid of the cat. Strangely enough, my wife and I never felt ill at ease but somewhat amused when he was present and active. I've never had another paranormal experience since.

Being a Christian, I searched the Scriptures. There's the story of Saul having a medium call up the spirit of Samuel. Twice, Jesus mentioned ghosts. Once when He was walking on the water during the storm and the disciples thought He was a ghost, but He called out to them and assured them it was He. The other time was after the Resurrection when He first appeared to his followers. They again thought He was a ghost. He told them to handle Him and then He said that ghosts don't have flesh and bone as they could see that He has (Luke 24:39).

I see someone in the top left of Tyrel's pic in blue pants and a dull red or brown jacket with a long barreled rifle or shotgun at port arms pointing to his upper left side. Crossed white belts of some sort over each shoulder, possibly a belt worn over the upper garment, and possibly wearing a cap. Soldier?

I saw a ghost car one time while taking my daughter down to the bus stop 7 or 8 years ago. My road is straight, no trees or other obstructions for about a mile, but there is a shallow dip where the lower part of the road is out of sight for maybe 5 seconds, tops. There was a neighbor about a third of a mile below us jogging up the road, as she does every day, and a car between us and her. It was going slow and the brake lights came on several times. I asked the daughter if she recognized it, and she didn't know who it might be either. We went into the dip for a few seconds, and when the road became visible again, NO CAR. There is nowhere to turn off - nothing but open fields on either side. When we got down to the neighbor jogging, another 15 seconds maybe, I stopped and asked her if she knew whose car that was... "What car?" All I can think is some kind of inversion that made this car visible when it was actually somewhere else.

Yes, I've seen a ghost. He was up close at first. It took the materialized form of an old, what seemed to be a miner in period clothing, a ratty old hat and full beard, carrying a kerosene lamp. I don't recall any other gear he was carrying. This was in McKelligon Canyon in El Paso, Texas. He dematerialized into a large sheet of shimmering electric-blue/white plasma and seemed to jump back away from me, then advanced on me again when I challenged him. As he approached again, I experienced a terrible chill. I took a step back, lifted my Win94 .30-30 to waist level, took hold of the forearm with my left hand and cranked a round into the chamber. The apparition vanished in an instant At that time, the area was desolate rocky desert full of mesquite and cactus. The conditions were a full moon and visibility was excellent. It was a cold desert night. The time was maybe 2:30 AM. I got back in the car and sped out of the canyon and scooted off to the all-night restaurant at the Ramada Inn on Dyer Street, several miles away and spent the rest of the night drinking coffee.

There's more to the story, but that's the gist of what I saw of the gghost. I had someone else with me throughout the encounter.

I thought it was just me Tyrel. Thanks for confirming the second figure on the right that appears to be approaching what I think is an animal trap in the center of the photo that is turned on its side.

Don't usually tell, but yes , I think maybe. Twice in two differant places.

One was at a theater, I worked at. Was getting ready to closed it down and lock up for the night. I saw (someone) sitting , I said I am closing, time to go, did you fall asleep? (It) got up and left. Wasn't a person. Told the owner, and he said a man died, during a movie, there in the late 1930's. Never saw (it) again.

Second one, was at a historical site I worked at after college. I would see images of a (foggy) woman in the mirrors. Found this unsettling, the first time. Told the park manager and the caretaker, they had seen her as well. This one might answer Sparkys question, somewhat. The house was An exact reproduction, but the furniture and a lot of the furnishings belonged to the family. So maybe some ghost, go where their possessions go.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I do ghost hunts. I have never actually seen a ghost. I have experienced things I can't explain. Just to name a couple:

A ball flying down from a mezzanine toward a group of us who were on the ground level, when nobody was up there. There was a wooden partition about waist high all the way around it.

A door with rusty hinges moving about a foot or so when I approached it, as if something didn't want me going through.

I also have a number of EVPs (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) that I have taken personally where I can hear voices that weren't present at the time (yes, I was in the artillery but I'm not that deaf). Some of the voices seem to be seeking attention, others seem to respond to my questions. None seem to be just "random," or the like.

I have "felt" presences for lack of a better way of describing it. These are most disconcerting, but also most difficult to quantify in any way.

I am confident that there are logical, rational explanations for things. It may just be that these things are beyond our ability to explain with our current level of scientific knowledge.

I have. When I started working at the shop, we had coal furnaces that had been converted to gas. Before my time, one of the guys always sat behind it in a chair for breaks and lunch. Walked past one time and saw him sitting in the chair. Only saw him once and I have the chair at home now.

Tyrel,

I can see the 2 figures in your pic.

One on the left and one on the right.

The left figure appears to be about 20 feet in front of the camera, walking towards the camera and carrying the rifle at a port ams position. It does appear that he is wearing blue pants and dark jacket with a crisscrossed suspender type clothing..... like a civil war uniform.

The pic on the right appears to be about 5 feet in front of the camera, but I can't make out much else.

..........Widder

I have seen the ghost of one of our cats, sunning herself in her favorite spot, moving from chair to chair as the sun moved. When we lived in a home in Gurley, AL, my wife would often see the ghosts of an old man and a young child, holding hands and wandering thru the house. They seemed completely unaware of her. At some point in the past, the house had burned and been rebuilt. We were unable to find out if there was any connection between the fire and the two figures.

I can't say I've seen a ghost, but I may have felt one. My wife passed away shortly after midnight, and I had been up pretty much all night. (We knew it was coming.) About midday the next day after all the necessary things had been done I stretched out on my bed for a nap. I was lying on my stomach with my arms at my sides, face turned to one side, palms facing upwards. Just as I was dozing off I felt a reassuring squeeze on my hand. I turned to see who it was and there was no one there.

I don't know if it was really her or just my memories trying to fill the gap she left behind.

I can't say I've seen a ghost, but I may have felt one. My wife passed away shortly after midnight, and I had been up pretty much all night. (We knew it was coming.) About midday the next day after all the necessary things had been done I stretched out on my bed for a nap. I was lying on my stomach with my arms at my sides, face turned to one side, palms facing upwards. Just as I was dozing off I felt a reassuring squeeze on my hand. I turned to see who it was and there was no one there.

I don't know if it was really her or just my memories trying to fill the gap she left behind.

I walked through an area where a log cabin had been torn down. An insane woman had been kept in one room for several years before her death. I walked through that room. I went into an absolute panic and did not run because I had no idea where the threat was coming from. Found out the details later. I had a favorite bowhunting spot and had to go through the area every morning. Never felt anything again.

There are many local ghost stories. All seem to be not harmful, most seem to be oblivious to the viewer.

Yes....I have seen the same ghost twice when we lived in a rural area in Tucson.

He walked through the wall when the washing machine was going through its spin cycle.

One of the little rubber feet were missing on the washing machine and the machine shook a lot.

It must have been drawn in by the vibration.

It was dressed in black and wore a black Spanish riding hat - sort of like Lee Van Cleef!

It was spooky!

Maybe on two occassions-but then again, it might have been that I was on the edge of sleep both times. I think the brain turns data into something it can understand, so sometimes shadows and reflections that are of no consequence get interpreted as human in form and we get ghosts. Now I'm not saying others who have seen them are wrong, only explaining my own experiences.

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF THIS PHOTO?

One of the fathers of the boy scout den I was in charge of recieved this photo in a text from his nephew's phone about three years ago; taken on the family farm near Pikeville, KY. The man tells me he has heard many weird sounds including voices on that farm and believes the ghosts are real. Personally I believe the story.

All you ghost believers would be great around a campfire!! :lol:

When I was a Boy Scout the Scoutmaster used to try to tell hair-raising ghost stories by the campfire, and the loud mouthed tough guy always scoffed at them. Then I started telling UFO stories and he begged me to stop. They were too scary.

The figure in that photo looks like he might be wearing a bag on a shoulder strap, like a hunting pouch or possibles bag.

Break out the right libation and I'll conjure up all the spirits you want! ;)

Seriously, is there a perceived difference between a ghost and a spirit or do most people lump the two? I don't believe much in ghosts (apparitions) as I do spirits which manifest themselves in a metaphysical way. For example my deceased brother was a tremendous practical joker and cackled with delight at the irony of his own and others miscues and accidents. I feel him looking over my shoulder every day and chortling "Yep, even a damn fool woulda known better!" :ph34r:

Break out the right libation and I'll conjure up all the spirits you want! ;)

Seriously, is there a perceived difference between a ghost and a spirit or do most people lump the two? I don't believe much in ghosts (apparitions) as I do spirits which manifest themselves in a metaphysical way. For example my deceased brother was a tremendous practical joker and cackled with delight at the irony of his own and others miscues and accidents. I feel him looking over my shoulder every day and chortling "Yep, even a damn fool woulda known better!" :ph34r:

I do believe it depends on who you ask. The "paranormal" world has all kinds of odd and even wild theories about ghosts, demons, shadow people, jinns and the like. I don't personally believe this to be the case, but it can make for some curious discussions.

While I believe the Saloon as a whole would be respectful, I prefer not to toss my personal thoughts, ideas and opinions out there for public consumption. If anyone is bored enough to be curious, feel free to send me a message, though.

Yes.

His name was Earl Beymer, and he had been a steeple jack in his younger days.

Paint then was lead based.

He absorbed enough lead he spent most of his life insane ... it chelated out of his system eventually, but he was an old man by then.

A fine and gentle sort, he favored a 16 gauge model 12 Winchester in his clearer moments.

Whenever local thieves came around stealing gas (or whatever wasn't nailed down) Brother Beymer would wake to the sound of that model 12 cycling.

I've heard it.

When Bob's father died, his wife would see him on occasion, always sitting in his favorite rocking chair, generally she could see his crossed legs ... then gone.

The man smoked like a chimney and more times than one I smelled the pleasant fragrance of a fresh lit cigarette.

Granddad harvested apples and stockpiled them in bushel baskets on the back porch. After his death we would smell apples and know he was there.

Brother Beymer and I were in his basement one winter night listening to WSM Nashville and WWL New Orleans, enjoying the heat from the coal furnace and each other's company. I was standing on one side of the basement, Bob was in one rocking chair, and the other rocking chair -- out of easy reach, no drafts, no earth quakes -- would start rocking.

I saw Granddad Beymer's shade when Bob, his mother and I got back from a good old fashioned Welsh sing over in Adamsville.

As I always did, I looked back after pulling out of the driveway, and sure enough Granddad was sitting on his deacon's bench, I could clearly see his hands folded over his walking stick, his pendulous lower lip hanging, his broke brim hat pulled low, and I thought "That's nice, Granddad waited up for WHAT DID I JUST SEE?"

Understand now ... one week to the day earlier, I was pallbearer at his funeral.

One of the fathers of the boy scout den I was in charge of recieved this photo in a text from his nephew's phone about three years ago; taken on the family farm near Pikeville, KY. The man tells me he has heard many weird sounds including voices on that farm and believes the ghosts are real. Personally I believe the story.

It's quite a picture, and story. I still cannot make out the second figure; only the one I the left, even with the later, enhanced photo.

I never have, but I can assure that a herd of white faced Angus cattle in the woods in the dark will make you think you're seeing ghosts, until you realize what they are!

A facebook photography group friend has a picture that one would swear is a ghost. Foggy day at an old mission in OK, he was taking pictures of an old building and got a figure. He did not see anything when he took the picture, but when he got home and put the SD card in his computer it really shook him up. When I get home from work this evening I'll see if I can get it posted.

Midnight shift, town marshal, out of the cruiser at the firehouse.

Looked to my left at what was supposed to be a one story concrete block structure with two bay doors.

I saw a three story wood structure with one light on, one window illuminated, a woman's silhouette in the window.

I blinked, looked again, and saw only the one story concrete block structure with two bay doors.

Same location, different night, oh too early in the morning.

I was out of the cruiser stretching my legs.

All was quiet, all but the jingle of trace chains and the clop of two horses in harness.

It came nearer ... I could hear it distinctly, I heard the rumble of steel rimmed wheels on the gravel alley.

I'm looking toward the sound and not seeing a thing, it's getting closer, it should be in sight --

Whatever it was passed through me, and it was very, very cold.

I don't mind admitting I went into a fighting crouch and had a death grip on my revolver's handle.

The sound receded as if it were going on up the gravel alley.

Now the OP was "Did you ever?" so we won't go into local legends, only my observation:

There was a nunnery a century ago, on the other end of the village, and I have heard an infant crying in the darkness up-hollow.

I've been told it was a fox, or a night bird, or my imagination.

Nope.

I heard an infant, the "la-laa, la-laa" of a very, very young child ... and it always cut off suddenly.

The local legend explains why and maybe that's why people told me it was a fox, or a night bird, or my imagination ... they didn't want to admit to what legend said happened.

This that follows is not what I saw, but I was part of it.

Somehow.

In those days I drove a white half ton Ford with roof lights, I was asst chief on the fire department (back when I was young and skinny, back when dirt was young and so was I) ... late June three and a half decades ago I died in intensive care. It was 4:30 in the morning.

At that late hour, my white pickup truck was seen screaming into town, twin fiberglass antennas laid back in the slipstream.

Three people saw it, and they all said the same thing.

It was running like hell, nobody was behind the wheel, and it was dead silent.

My best friend said he woke up and looked at the clock, noted the time, then realized he recognized the tread on his stairs.

He looked to the doorway and saw a tall shadow and heard my voice say "Bob, I am so tired."

He said he came up on one elbow, roundly cussed me and told me to get back into my body where I belonged.

It must've worked.

I'm still here.

Archived