SASS Wire Forum

old dawg new trick

Come On Christmas

Duh!

My Lee lead furnace drains from a spigot at the bottom. My new 45 caliber tumble lube bullet. Cast perfect.

Big mammu Minie ball for .54 Hawken all wrinkled.

Not pouring fast enough. Plenty hot methinks.

Ah Haaaaa I will use a dipper from the top. Much faster pour.

Perfect bullets every time!

Here I thought you was talkin' 'bout me!!

Happy Sunday Shameless!

Hope you & yours are doing well.

--Dawg

Winkles on the bullets tell me the mold is not hot enough before the pour.

Pour several bullets and drop them quickly.

10 to 15 or so.

You're not trying to get good bullets, you are trying to warm up the molds to get good bullets.

Then slow down to let the bullets cool before dropping to see if the winkles are gone.

This old dowg can't seem to get the bottom pour valve to stop leaking. I've had the pot more than 20 years and a drip now and then was no big deal but it's gotten worse. I cleaned the pot out and cleaned the spout and valve needle. It dripps just as bad as before. I keep a screwdriver handy to turn the needle and the drip will stop for a few pours then it'll start dripping again.

This old dowg can't seem to get the bottom pour valve to stop leaking. I've had the pot more than 20 years and a drip now and then was no big deal but it's gotten worse. I cleaned the pot out and cleaned the spout and valve needle. It dripps just as bad as before. I keep a screwdriver handy to turn the needle and the drip will stop for a few pours then it'll start dripping again.

Get a small pair of vice grips, clamp them on the stem 90degree off the screw driver slot.

The added weight will stop most of the dripping and is easy to reach up and spin the grips stops the rest.

Learnted that from the wire several years ago.

using 2 bottom pour Lee pots that way

I lay my aluminum Lee Molds stop the furnace when it's heating up. Then I alternate between two different molds leaving the lead in the mold whilst I pour lead in the other one. Usually only get one goofy bullet or two.

On the leaky spigot I get a coated paper clip and bend it out to form an L. I push the paper clip up the spout and wiggle the handle on the mechanism till I get a good flow. Stops it from clogging for a while. Then do it again. Also atop the spigot shaft there is a place to wiggle the spout shaft with a slot screwdriver to attempt a better flow.

On a new mold I take a piece of paper or cardboard and set it on fire and smoke my mold cavity up. Do this and it's just enough lube to let the bullets fall free when cast.

On a 45/70 mold or a Minie ball mold the sheer volume of lead causes wrinkles if the mold does not fill FAST enough which is a temperature problem, but also volume being poured quickly problem.

The solution use a full dipper from the top of the furnace. Also heat rises. Hottest lead is there.

Get a small pair of vice grips, clamp them on the stem 90degree off the screw driver slot.

The added weight will stop most of the dripping and is easy to reach up and spin the grips stops the rest.

Learnted that from the wire several years ago.

using 2 bottom pour Lee pots that way

I thought about making a valve needle somewhat longer and adding some kind of knob to both add weight and convenient to turn. Maybe bolt some weight on the lifter handle bracket?

I thought about making a valve needle somewhat longer and adding some kind of knob to both add weight and convenient to turn. Maybe bolt some weight on the lifter handle bracket?

Try the vice grips.

Stalagtites hang and stalagmites grow upward.

It seems amazing to me that when you melt down wheel weights the iron parts float atop the molten lead. Less dense.

I don't get out much. :~>=

i agree with kulshan had 2 lee pots both leaked gave them away and got a rcbs

gave one of mine to Pit Bull,

the other is for pure Pb and I can live with a few drips during the few times I use it during the year

cr

I like making the stalagmites under the spout. Or is it stalagtites? One goes up one forms going down from the ceiling.

Stalactites are TIGHT to the ceiling.

Stalagmites might someday reach the ceiling.

Learned that in the fifth grade back when they still taught things in public schools.

Archived