SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun shucking,, sxs of course

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

for a while now during a shoot I will squirt a quich shot of rem oil into the chambers of my sxs.. wasn't really sure if it was helping, but wasn't having any trouble shucking either.

Today while dry firing with empties I had a few sticking,,, which for dry fire is good, makes you watch to make sure you've shucked them. but, more than normal,, I use a couple that are out of round for that purpose

cleaned the chambers and then shot them with Rem oil,, no more sticking,,, cept for the out of round ones of course..

I use a shotgun mop, on a short rod. Spray with silicon and mop chamber after every couple stages.

I've got a question for those of you that wipe some sort of lube on your shells before using them, does this ever cause you problems loading these shells or handling other guns? The fear of my hands getting slippery and causing problems elsewhere in the stage is why I've never put anything on my shells. I just make sure they and my chambers are perfectly clean.

after loading my shells I wipe each down with a rag that I've sprayed some of the P.A.M. mixture on. The shells come out clean and the residue of the Murphys leaves just enough slick to shuck easily but not be greasy.

I've got a question for those of you that wipe some sort of lube on your shells before using them, does this ever cause you problems loading these shells or handling other guns? The fear of my hands getting slippery and causing problems elsewhere in the stage is why I've never put anything on my shells. I just make sure they and my chambers are perfectly clean.

I tried spraying or wipeing my shot shells with silicon, but it did make them very slick and I had trouble hanging on to them.

Oil and other foreign coatings, like wax are magnets for dirt, dust and other things that will find their way onto your shells. Clean, dry shells and clean, polished chambers will shuck properly sized shells every time. (Sez I, who habitually shoots BP)!!!

I tried spraying or wipeing my shot shells with silicon, but it did make them very slick and I had trouble hanging on to them.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm fumble fingered enough, I don't need slippery shells to add to the problem.

I'm using multiple reloaded AAs with my SxS.

I did run a hone with its special oil in the chambers right after I got it.

Don't have a problem and have fired 2 matches without cleaning chambers. Don't have a problem with them coming out.

cr

I use a chamber brush wrapped with a patch in each chamber after every stage. With BP it's the only way I can be sure the empties will shuck. I can go a couple of stages, but if I only do it occasionally then I'll for get and have "issues"

CR

I shoot BP and Subs, Federal Top Gun Hulls loaded several times. Don't wipe them with anything, don't clean the chambers between stages. The only time I have a problem with them coming out is when I get a shell that is plumb worn out, I routinely shoot 12 stage matches without a problem. Guess I'm just lucky. :)

I use a chamber brush wrapped with a patch in each chamber after every stage. With BP it's the only way I can be sure the empties will shuck. I can go a couple of stages, but if I only do it occasionally then I'll for get and have "issues"

CR

A Huggies on the chamber brush does a great job. Liquid silicone on the mop.

I roll crimp the AA hulls for matches. Star crimps on the practice hulls sometimes hang up.

Shootin' the Soot,

Amarillo Rattler

When shooting bp I almost always wipe each she'll with a armor all wipe as I put it in my belt. I do it also when shooting the sxss. I normally make use of two devices to try and get the most correct rounds for my use. First I take Boggus deals shotgun gauge and drop each she'll in it. If it drops in and falls out its good to go in the ammo box. If not I use a MEC super sizer and recheck if it passes it goes I the box other wise it goes in the practice pile. I even do this for brand new factory ammo.

Very light coat of auto plastic cleaner/conditioner on a rag, wipe off any visibly dirty shells when loading them. NEVER had them be slick to load when shooting them 4 weeks or more later - it's all dried or soaked into the hull walls. Silicone - that's a lube - no wonder it makes hulls slippery.

Good luck, GJ

http://www.bore-tips.com/collections/bore-tips-fast-patchless-gun-cleaning-by-swab-its/products/12-gauge-gun-cleaning-bore-tips-by-swab-its

I use these with a little bit of Balistol just before walking to the loading table every stage. These leave no lint or stray fibers like a lot of mops and patches can. I wipe my shells down with a clean cloth before I put them in my belt but don't put anything on them. My guns stay covered in the cart to mitigate the dust. Out here in the southwest dust is in the air all the time. I figure everything I can do to keep dust out of the guns, the better!

I shoot BP and Subs, Federal Top Gun Hulls loaded several times. Don't wipe them with anything, don't clean the chambers between stages. The only time I have a problem with them coming out is when I get a shell that is plumb worn out, I routinely shoot 12 stage matches without a problem. Guess I'm just lucky. :)

When I shoot Frontier Cartridge I use 777. Like you I don't do anything to my shotgun during the match except clean it at the end of the match. My chambers are dry and I don't add anything to the outside of the shells, just shoot them dry. I also run Boggus Deal's shot shell checker on EVERY shotgun hull after its loaded to ensure that every one of them is round. This results in the hulls not binding or adhering to the sides of the chambers when trying to shuck them out.

However, when I shoot smokeless shot shells, I do run a brush in my chambers about every other stage just to make sure there is not unburned powder or anything in the chambers. I also run the smokeless shot shells through the checker to make sure they are "in round" and fully chamber. I also do not put anything on the hulls, just run them dry.

This works for me and of course as always....YMMV.

Kajun

I mostly shoot BP/SUBS in all Brass hulls, so I use a 6 inch pistol cleaning handle with a 12Ga brass brush wrapped with a patch and Break Free

to swab out the chambers between stages.

Coffinmaker

Archived